Historical Time Line
The first recorded
owner of Absecon Island (now known as Atlantic City) was Thomas Budd, an
Englishman, who arrived in Atlantic County in late 1670's.
Jeremiah Leeds, was the
first person to build a permanent structure on the island in 1785
at what is now Arctic and Arkansas Ave.
Atlantic City was first
incorporated in 1854. Chalkey S. Leeds, born in Atlantic City
in 1824, became the city's first mayor in 1854.
In 1870, and costing half
the towns tax revenue that year, an eight foot wide wooden foot walk was built
from the beach into town. This was the first Boardwalk in the nation. It
was replaced with a more permanent larger structure in 1880.
The First Railroad was
formally opened on June 16, 1880.
Lucy the Elephant was
built in 1881 is now located in Margate, NJ which was at that
time was called �South Atlantic City�.
The Atlantic City Water
Works gave the town it's first �running water� in June 1882.
The first recorded use
of electricity in Atlantic City was in July of 1882, when
Atlantic City Gas and Water Company turn on the street lights, the first of
which was in front of Keuhnle's Hotel, on Atlantic and South Carolina Aves.
Salt Water Taffy
was invented during the summer of 1883, in a Boardwalk shop at
St. James Place by David Bradley.
The first Pier was
erected in 1886. It was erected on iron pilings and went out
into the ocean from the end of Massachusetts Ave. It opened on April 25, 1886
and was name �Iron Pier�.
The City ok'd the use
of �Rolling Chairs� on the Boardwalk in 1886.
: ** Atlantic City was first in the nation to install an
electric fire alarm system in 1889.
The Famous Steel
Pier, at Virginia Ave. & the Beach, first opened up
for the season of 1889
: ** Atlantic City's Beach Patrol was the first
established in the nation in 1891.
: ** The Ferris Wheel was first erected on the Boardwalk in
Atlantic City in 1893 by Williams Somers. It was
made of wood. The first steel Ferris wheel was erected at the World's Fair in
Chicago the next year by a Mr. Ferris. Which is why it's called a Ferris Wheel
The Press Club of
Atlantic City was founded in 1900, which was later named, "The
Press of Atlantic City".
The Atlantic City
Public Library first opened on January 31, 1900 in the
Rochford Sanitorium. It became a Free Public Library in 1901 after
City Council was urged by a group of citizens to put it up for vote and was
adopted by a vote of 6062 to 30. Dedication of the Andrew Carnegie Free Public
Library took place January 2, 1905.
In June, 1904,
The National Tuberculosis Association was founded in Atlantic City.
: ** The very first electric sign that moved was
erected on Atlantic City Boardwalk in 1905 by the
Gillette Safety Razor Company.
The Million Dollar
Pier, on the boardwalk at Arkansas Avenue first open for the season of 1906.
Rail Transprotation in
1909 was very dependable and according to the timetable for "The