The International Dunhuang Project: The Silk Road Online
IDP is a ground-breaking international collaboration to make information and images of all manuscripts, paintings, textiles and artefacts from Dunhuang and archaeological sites of the Eastern Silk Road freely available on the Internet and to encourage their use through educational and research programmes.
IDP partner institutions which both provide data for and act as hosts to the multilingual website and database are:
Major IDP partners providing data include:
IDP’s many other collaborating institutions provide data and work on joint projects.
Read more about IDP…
Number of Images in IDP Database as of 20/07/2011
Previously Unpublished Silk Road Manuscripts Now Available Online
Completion of Digitisation of Dunhuang Chinese Manuscript Fragments in the British Library (Or.8210/S.8401-13891)
In 1987 the British Library hosted scholars from the Institute of History, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. They came with a proposal to produce a facsimile edition of non-Buddhist Chinese manuscripts from Dunhuang, to include previously unpublished fragments. The resulting joint Sino-British project conserved all the remaining fragments, including the Buddhist material. This resulted in 6136 more manuscripts becoming available for study.
Thanks to the grant from the Research Institute of Korean Studies, IDP has now completed the digitisation of these fragments, resulting in the publication, for the first time, of most of this material with over 13,000 more images online.
Further information will be available in the next issue of IDP News.
British Library Sanskrit Fragments Vol.II now online
The second series of catalogue articles on the Sanskrit fragments in the British Library, edited by Seishi Karashima and Klaus Wille, are now available on IDP's Catalogue Search page. Images of most of the manuscripts can also now be viewed on the IDP website.
Click here to see details of Conferences, Lectures, Exhibitions and other events.
- Site last revised: June 2011.
- If you have 'blocked' pop-up windows then some internal links will not work.
- The site is optimised for IE6+ on PCs, and for Safari, Firefox, Opera and browsers other than IE on Macs.
- Click here for further technical information.
- Website design by Vic Swift of IDP.
- Database development and web integration by Michael Kaye of sendmetospace with additional support for Chinese version by Mark Mitchenall, using 4D database software and Active4D.
- General text written by Susan Whitfield with additional input from other members of IDP staff and translation by IDP staff in China, Russia, Japan and Germany.
- Some areas of the site such as Educational Projects, Resources, Research and Conservation Papers and My IDP projects are individually authored and accredited. IDP is not responsible for their content.