Paper and pencil
Number of players:
A smallish number of spots are drawn.
Join two spots, or one spot to itself, with a curve which cannot touch or cross any other curve or spot. Now place a new spot on this new curve. No spot can have more than three curves attached to it.
If your opponent has no valid move.
Here is a complete sample game starting with 2 spots:
See Brussels Sprouts
- A Paper & Pencil Games Page that features Sprouts and gives an animated demonstration!
- Sprouts for Spring an article by Ivar Peterson with a description, sample game, discussion and references.
- Read the Maths Forum discussion on The Game of Sprouts
- Raed the Math Forum discussion on Sprouts Notation
- Read more discussion on Sprouts Notation
- Speaking of Sprouts... more discussion
- An Applet to download (if you know how to work them!) from the University of Utah that allows you to play the computer at Sprouts.
- The World Game of Sprouts Association home page
- David Molnar's Sprouts page
- Sprouts: Analyzing a Simple Game An article by Susan K. Eddins, Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy