Advertise   Subscribe Contact Yemen Post
 
About Us   Our Mission Terms & Services
Yemen Post Newspaper Logo  
Editor Picture So if Saleh eventually held his word to the West, delivering al-Qaeda's ring leader, what is left of his bargaining chips?  
Hakim Almasmari  
 Publisher & Editor in Chief   
  Email the Editor
Advanced Search
HOME EDITORIAL LOCAL INTERVIEW REPORT POLITICS BUSINESS HEALTH YEMEN IN THE NEWS MIDDLE EAST INTERNATIONAL ARCHIVE
LATEST UPDATES Al-Houthi Expansion Plan in Yemen Revealed :: Attack against General Ali Mohsen Imminent Says Informant :: Sultan Barakani: "We Will not sign the GCC Proposal" :: Zinjibar: 10 al-Qaeda Militants Killed :: Sana'a: Rayan Hills are Turned Into a Defense Military Base :: Updates of the Yemeni Revolution for Nov 8 :: Opposition Meets with Saudi King and Crown Prince :: Yemen: Europe Discusses Freezing of Assets :: Marwan al Sameehy: Death of an Innocent :: Haj Postponed for many Yemenis ::
BREAKING NEWS Now Yemen Post News in Arabic Visit www.yemenpost.net/arabic :: Now Yemen Post News in Arabic Visit www.yemenpost.net/arabic :: Now Yemen Post News in Arabic Visit www.yemenpost.net/arabic ::
z
LOCAL
Last updated: 10:58:18 AM GMT(+03) Wednesday, 09, November, 2011
 
 

Al-Houthi Expansion Plan in Yemen Revealed

 
*
 Yemen Post Staff

 

Several sources in Hajjah, a northern Yemeni governorate which sits directly on the northern Saudi borders, told the press that al-Houthis fighters, a Shia led rebellion, were increasingly expanding their area of control in the region as they had already overtaken several towns and villages in the province. They warned that despite a fierce resistance from the tribes of Kashir and Aahm, al-Houthis still managed to break through, overwhelming the tribal army in numbers and weapons.

 


Until recently, tribes in Hajjah were benefited greatly from the government' support as they were seen as a buffer against al-Houthis' territorial ambitions, especially since Hajjah offers not only an access to the sea but also the capital, Sana'a.
However since President Saleh has had to bear the blunt of a popular uprising, concentrating his efforts on regaining control over the state institutions by taming the political factions which rose against him, al-Houthis has used to his advantage the regime's weaknesses, pushing through his expansion plans.


Several high ranking officials amongst whom many sheikhs are now worry that al-Houthis are planning a direct attack on Sana'a as the Shia fighters are said to be desperately trying to secure access to the governorate's seaport of Midi.
They are warning that if the seaport was to fell into al-Houthis' hands, the rebels would be able to ferry weapons and equipment from abroad, granting an incredible advantage and the potential means of carrying a wider attack on Yemen territories.


Furthermore, over the past few weeks, the Shia rebels have managed to take control over Kahlah al Sharaf district, which is believed to be further proof that al-Houthis are trying to create a direct link in between Sana'a and the Red Sea, in preparation of an attempted take -over.

If Hajjah was to be lost, it would the third Yemeni provinces to have gone under control of al-Houthis led rebellion on a few months, increasing exponentially the risk of the country sinking into utter chaos and Mayhem.


Sources in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia have said under cover of anonymity that they were watching the events with utmost interest since most of their southern borders ran through al-Houthis' controlled territories and that the group has be known in the past for attacking Saudi villages which they claim ownership over.

 


Yemen Post Staff
*
Source: Yemen Post
 
 
MORE LOCAL
 
Attack against General Ali Mohsen Imminent Says Informant
Sultan Barakani: "We Will not sign the GCC Proposal"
Zinjibar: 10 al-Qaeda Militants Killed
Al-Houthi Expansion Plan in Yemen Revealed
Sana'a: Rayan Hills are Turned Into a Defense Military Base
Updates of the Yemeni Revolution for Nov 8
Opposition Meets with Saudi King and Crown Prince
Yemen: Europe Discusses Freezing of Assets
Marwan al Sameehy: Death of an Innocent
Haj Postponed for many Yemenis
 
 
Comments
 
Leave a Comment
Comment will be published once it has been approved by our moderators.
Name:
Title:
Comment:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Yemen Post may edit comments for length and clarity but will not change the tone of the message. Comments will only be accepted if all fields (including name) are filled correctly and the message isn't abusive, defamatory or offensive. All comments sent may be forwarded for use in the Yemen Post newspaper.
Article Tools
Email this Article Email this article
Print Friendly Version Print
Email this Article Email the Editor
 
Most popular
 Saleh to Use Terror File to Stay in Power; World Must not be Tricked
 Attack against General Ali Mohsen Imminent Says Informant
 Sultan Barakani: "We Will not sign the GCC Proposal"
 Zinjibar: 10 al-Qaeda Militants Killed
 Al-Houthi Expansion Plan in Yemen Revealed
 Yemen Humanitarian Emergency Situation Report
 YEMEN: Living in a cave, cut off from aid
 
Services
  Letters to the Editor
  Dear President
  Advertise
  Subscribe
  Submit Your Articles
  Classified
  Readers' Letters
 

 
Quick poll
Do you think that the president should step down before 2013?

VOTE  OR SEE POLL RESULTS
 

   
   
   
© Yemen Post. All Rights Reserved 2007- 2011    

 Designed and developed by
  HyperLink