Stumbling through Wikipedia's free software portal several days ago, I found myself perusing the website of an independent, open-source puzzle game called Enigma. Inspired by an older game, Oxyd, Enigma classifies itself as a 'puzzle game with a dexterity component'. Indeed, while playing Enigma one is sure to find levels to quicken both the mind and the wrist.
Enigma's gameplay is, in its simplest form, a memory game. Controlling a black marble with the mouse, the player attempts to tap the 'Oxyd stones' placed about the level. When struck, each stone reveals a certain colour. After activating a stone, the player must then strike the Oxyd stone containing the matching colour to lock the two open - just like turning over cards to find matching pairs. If the player activates a second Oxyd stone of a different colour, the first stone closes, hiding its contents. In order to activate all of the stones and complete the level, the player must remember which colour each stone hides.
Of course, it is not as easy as simply remembering colours. There are all sorts of obstacles and dangers to make things more difficult. There are floors that collapse, deep water (marbles cannot swim), magnets, lasers, crates, and a variety of items to collect and use. Some levels test the player's speed, for example requiring him or her to open a gate, touch an Oxyd stone inside, and escape before the gate locks again. Other levels test mental mettle and might require the player to position a number of crates on several switches. There is, however, something for everyone. With over 1,000 levels and more being created by the active community, there is no end to the challenge of Enigma.
- How to Install Computer Memory Just bought some memory for your computer? This guide will help you install it.
- The Dam Busters PC Game The Dam Busters is a fun and realistic game from Just Flight, just one of many of their and other Combat and Flight Simulation add-ons.
- Advancing Computer Game Technology A look at the advances occurring in computer game tech.
- Game Review: X-Men Legends The best X-Men game comes to consoles as an action RPG
- A Survey of Methods to Increase Memory and Attention in Students
- The Choking Game
- Easy Strategies and Techniques to Improve Your Memory
- Used Music and Game Stores in Fargo Moorhead
- Tips when Buying a Memory Upgrade
- Memory Loss: Preventative Measures
- A Look at Nintendo's Holiday Video Game Lineup
- Adobe backs off on Flash for mobile browsers (AP)
- Activision's Warcraft loses steam, Call of duty shines (Reuters)
- Activision 3Q earnings soar, 2011 outlook raised (AP)
- A bumpy road to 'Modern Warfare 3' (AP)
- Fresh iPhone Apps for Nov. 8: Hello Vino update, iBeatThat, Ninja Pong, Sky Gamblers: Rise of Glory (Appolicious)