Digital Compact Camera COOLPIX L5
August 24, 2006
Advanced optical Vibration Reduction, combined with high quality and functionality, allow virtually any user to shoot with ease
Tokyo – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the COOLPIX L5, the latest in their lineup of entry-level compact digital cameras. Combining high-quality components like a 5x zoom lens and a bright 2.5-inch LCD, and featuring the same advanced Lens shift Vibration Reduction (VR) mechanism that was originally developed for Nikon's renowned SLR systems, the COOLPIX L5 elevates user-friendliness to new levels with its simplified operation and unrivaled results.
The powerful, 38-190mm Zoom-Nikkor lens (35mm equivalent) ensures matchless compositional freedom, from zooming in for intimate personal portraits to zooming out for expansive outdoor scenes. Lens shift Vibration Reduction (VR) technology allows the user to make the most of 5x zooming. The CCD provides enhanced precision with minimized dimensions, greatly adding to the camera’s compact portability while offering generous 7.2 effective megapixels, for the refined image clarity that’s expected of the COOLPIX family. There’s also a large, bright 2.5-inch LCD with backlight that greatly eases composing superb images and then playing them back.
The COOLPIX L5 has surprisingly compact dimensions despite the fact it is compatible with AA-size batteries in alkaline, lithium, ZR6 oxyride, rechargeable or other forms. And because such batteries are widely available around the world, COOLPIX L5 users can keep on shooting internationally without worrying about running out of batteries. Adding to the convenience are three unique Nikon image innovations that make it easier to achieve great-looking results – all directly accessible via a One-touch portrait button on the camera’s top panel. Face-priority AF* can automatically detect then achieve accurate focus on people’s faces, no matter where they are in the frame. In-Camera Red-Eye Fix can automatically detect the annoying red-eye effect sometimes caused by flash and compensate for it in-camera. And the D-Lighting function can rescue underexposed images or shots with too much backlight by creating a copy of the image but with light and detail added where necessary and well-exposed areas left exactly as they were.
A choice of 15 different Scene modes – 4 with Scene assist – automatically provides ideal settings for everything from night portraits to beach parties. Just choose the Scene mode best suited to the subject at hand, and the COOLPIX L5 automatically selects the perfect setting for exactly the picture you had in mind. The four Scene modes with Scene assist even help the user compose the shot for optimal results.
The COOLPIX L5 is also compatible with widely available SD memory cards. And 8MB of internal memory allows the user to continue shooting even when no additional memory is available, as well as easily moving images from one SD card to another. The COOLPIX L5 offers movie recording with sound in three modes: TV size (640) for viewing on TV or computers, convenient Small size (320), and Smaller size (160) for extended recording or Internet use.
The COOLPIX L5 even simplifies printing, with PictBridge capability enabling direct connection to compatible printers without the need of a computer in between. USB connectivity eases transfer of data to computers and other peripherals. Complimentary PictureProject accessory software completes total convenience by greatly simplifying the importing, editing and organizing of your images, and includes other options that add to the fun of digital photography.
- *Face recognition capability may be limited in some shooting conditions.
- Note: Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
Nikon COOLPIX L5 Feature Highlights
Lens shift Vibration Reduction (VR)
Impressive Lens shift VR technology, initially developed for Nikon's highly respected SLR camera systems, efficiently compensates for varying levels of camera shake, enabling sharp, clear images in active shooting situations. The new VR button conveniently located on the top panel allows a choice of three settings: Normal, Active and Off. The Normal setting compensates for the minor and horizontal camera movement common to normal shooting and panning. The Active setting is designed to compensate for more pronounced camera movement, or when shooting from an unsteady location such as a moving vehicle, delivering image precision comparable to shooting at shutter speeds more than two stops faster (wide-angle as well as telephoto).
High quality from a small CCD
Space efficiency helps facilitate the compact size of the COOLPIX L5, its 1/2.5-inch CCD adding the advantage of outstandingly high performance. Boasting an effective pixel value of 7.2 million, the CCD enables the capture of crisply focused, high-quality images that easily stand up to significant enlargement.
5x zoom prowess
The COOLPIX L5’s remarkably compact dimensions belie the incorporation of a powerful 38-190mm Zoom-Nikkor lens (35mm equivalent), ensuring the expansive freedom of 5x zoom. This high-precision lens allows zooming in for tightly composed portraits, or zooming way out for expansively wide views, providing greater compositional independence than the average compact digital camera. And revolutionary VR technology ensures no-blur images even in the telephoto range of the zoom.
Simplified features improve images in-camera
The One-touch portrait button on the top panel provides convenient direct access to Nikon's image innovations: Face-priority AF*, In-Camera Red-Eye Fix and D-Lighting. Face-priority AF automatically finds and then focuses in on people’s faces, regardless of where they are in the frame, for consistently crisp portraits. In-Camera Red-Eye Fix automatically corrects any accidental red-eye that can occur in flash photography, producing more natural-looking portraits. D-Lighting allows selection of images with excessive backlight or insufficient flash illumination, automatically creating a copy of the selected image and adding light and detail wherever needed.
- *Face recognition capability may be limited in some shooting conditions.
AA-size battery compatibility
Despite its compact dimensions, the COOLPIX L5 is compatible with AA-size batteries, one of the most widely available battery sizes in the world. A battery life of approximately 490 shots with lithium, 150 shots with alkaline, or 250 shots with EN-MH1 batteries greatly augments its compact convenience.
Nikon COOLPIX L5 Other Features
- Compact, portable dimensions of approx. 97 x 61 x 45mm (3.8 x 2.4 x 1.8 in.) excluding projections, and light weight of approx. 170g (6.0 oz.) without battery and SD memory card
- Improved GUI (Graphical User Interface) enhances user operability and visibility
- BSS (Best Shot Selector) automatically selects and saves the best exposure from up to 10 consecutive images
- Macro shooting enables image capture as close as 4cm (1.6 in.)
- Capture modes: Single, Continuous and Multi-Shot 16
- Built-in flash: features settings for Auto, Auto with red-eye reduction (In-Camera Red-Eye Fix), Flash Cancel, Anytime Flash, and Slow sync.
- Color options let user choose from 5 different color effects to produce results similar to those achieved using filters
- Interface: USB, Audio Video output
- Date Counter visually records the countdown of days to a special occasion or number of days since an event
- Slide show function adds fun to image viewing anytime
- Small picture function creates image with smaller data for easy email attachment
- Trimming function makes it easy to improve composition after shooting
- Time zone function enables the camera clock to be set to local time, anywhere in the world
- Choice of White Balance
Auto with TTL control, 7-mode manual (Direct sunlight, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Cloudy, Shade, Flash and White Bal. Preset)
Nikon Digital Camera COOLPIX L5 Specifications
|Type||Compact digital camera|
|Effective pixels||7.2 million|
|CCD||1/2.5-inch type (7.41 million total pixels)|
|Image modes||High (3072*), Normal (3072), Normal (2592), Normal (2048), PC (1024), Normal (2048), TV (640)|
|Lens||5x Zoom-Nikkor; 6.3-31.4mm (35mm  format equivalent to approx. 38-190mm); f/2.9-5.0; 9 elements in 7 groups; Digital zoom: up to 4x|
|Focus range (approx.)||50cm (1 ft. 7.7 in.) to infinity (∞), 4cm (1.6 in.) to infinity (∞) in Macro mode|
|LCD monitor||2.5-inch type, 115,000-dot TFT LCD monitor with brightness adjustment|
|Storage media||Internal memory: approx. 8MB, SD memory card|
|Shooting modes||Auto, 4 modes with Scene assist (Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night Portrait), 11 Scene modes (Party/Indoor, Beach/Snow, Sunset, Dusk/Dawn, Night Landscape, Close up, Museum, Fireworks Show, Copy, Back Light, Panorama Assist), BSS (Best Shot Selector), Color Options, Date Imprint, Self-timer (10 sec.)|
|Movie||With sound: TV movie (640) at 30fps, Small size (320) at 30fps, Smaller size (160) at 30fps|
|Vibration Reduction (VR)||Lens shift VR (Normal/Active/Off)|
|Capture modes||1) Single, 2) Continuous (approx. 0.7fps), 3) Multi-shot 16 (approx. 5fps, only available at image size 7M)|
|Number of frames
(w/ internal memory)
|7M: High (3072*) approx. 2, Normal (3072) approx. 4, 3M: Normal (2048) approx. 10|
|Built-in flash||Range: approx. 0.5-5.5m / 1 ft. 7.7 in. – 18 ft. 0.5 in.(W), 0.6-4.0m / 1 ft. 12 in. – 13 ft. 1.8 in.(T); Flash modes: Auto, Auto with Red-eye Reduction (In-Camera Red-Eye Fix), Flash Cancel, Anytime Flash and Slow sync.|
|Interface||USB, Audio Video output|
|Supported languages||Total of 20 languages:
German/ English/ Spanish/ French/ Italian/ Dutch/ Russian/ Swedish/ Japanese/ Simplified Chinese/ Traditional Chinese/ Korean/ Thai/ Portuguese/ Polish/ Indonesian/ Finnish/ Danish/ Norwegian/ Czech selectable in menu display
|Power requirements||Rechargeable Ni-MH Battery EN-MH1 x 2, AA-size battery (LR6 alkaline, ZR6 oxyride, or lithium) x 2, AC Adapter EH-65A (optional)|
|Battery life (approx.)||490 shots with lithium, 150 shots with alkaline, or 250 shots with EN-MH1 (based on CIPA standard)|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx.97 x 61 x 45mm (3.8 x 2.4 x 1.8 in.) excluding projections|
|Weight||Approx. 170g (6.0 oz.) without battery and SD memory card|
|Supplied accessories*||Battery Charger MH-71, Rechargeable Ni-MH Battery EN-MH1 (EN-MH1-B2), USB Cable UC-E6, Audio Video Cable EG-CP14, Strap, PictureProject CD-ROM|
|Optional accessories||Battery Charger MH-71, Rechargeable Ni-MH Battery EN-MH1 (EN-MH-B2), AC Adapter EH-65A|
- *Supplied accessories may differ in each country or area.
PictureProject System Requirements
|OS||Macintosh: Mac® OS X version 10.3.9 or later
Windows: Windows® XP Home Edition/Professional, Windows® 2000 Professional pre-installed models
|Note||CD-ROM drive required for installation. Only built-in USB ports are supported.|
- Microsoft® and Windows® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Macintosh® and QuickTime® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple Computer Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. The FotoNation logo is a trademark. The SD logo is a trademark. PictBridge is a trademark. D-Lighting technology is provided by Apical Limited. Face-priority AF technology is provided by Identix®. Pictmotion contains patented technologies provided by muvee Technologies Pte. Ltd. Products and brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. August 2006
- The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.