Bring back the Cane

Last post 08/02/07 at 04:48 by Dodat, 286 replies
Post started by Mr.Chips on 06/12/06 at 12:09

Rate this topic

Select colour:
    Posted by: Mr.Chips 06/12/2006 at 12:09
    Joined on 06/12/2006
    Posts 208
    Most of the postings would disappear I am sure of that. Never harmed anybody.
    Posted by: babyshambles 06/12/2006 at 14:18
    Joined on 12/04/2006
    Posts 1,429
    When wound up and angry, I feel like I could happily throw kids out of the window for behaving badly, and rudely and without any social skills whatsover...

But I really don't think, as a punishment, I could cane someone myself, just wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.
    Posted by: Auxilia 06/12/2006 at 14:32
    Joined on 11/08/2005
    Posts 397
    "Never harmed anybody"

The comp where I went ditched corporal punishment after a pupil fractured a teacher's cheekbone immediately after the receiving the cane - so I beg to differ!
    Posted by: badpower 06/12/2006 at 15:27
    Joined on 08/12/2005
    Posts 85
    Kids in my school would take the cane from you and hit you back with it.

Quite rightly too

We have no right to hurt our pupils
    Posted by: squizita 06/12/2006 at 16:19
    Joined on 21/04/2006
    Posts 522
    My dad worked in a secondary modern in the 1960s-1970s. He rarely used the cane and did not like using it; nevertheless, friends who were taught by him and colleagues who taught with him (in the 70s) say he was a firm disciplinarian. He said the worse the caner, the worse the behaviour; kids used to hit them back, swear at them, run away.

It was just a way of letting of steam, not a punishment. He used to see 'daft' kids caned on a Friday for what would have got a glare on a Monday. It was one thing that really wound him up.

He told me that this 'kids took it like a man' & it 'kept control' bow locks was all part of the myth of the good old days. If a kid will risk a punch in the face to insult another kid's mum, that kid will not fear another form of violence.
    Posted by: tismee 06/12/2006 at 16:30
    Joined on 18/01/2005
    Posts 13
    I remember my grandfather saying
    "take the cane out of the schools and you'll fill the prisons"

go figure!!!

Posted by: yapyap 06/12/2006 at 18:13
    Joined on 24/11/2006
    Posts 3,281
    i have to say, the state some of my kids get me in, i could throttle them, let alone give them the slap, so i for one don't believe i should have the power to so much as raise a finger, lest the red mist descend ad ill be done...
    Posted by: bluedart 06/12/2006 at 22:27
    Joined on 05/12/2004
    Posts 850
    I agree with Gillian Shepherd and Rhodes Boyston that behaviour probably would improve if it was brought back.

As to the pupil who fractured that teacher's face, borstels also existed at that time, and I hope he ended up in one.

Badpower - you sound a bit too pious. Given the near animalistic behaviour and the roaring anarchy I have witnessed in schools, and the abuse I myself have suffered from these louts, I can never be that prim and preachy about pupils' rights. I agree with Tismee's granddad.
    Posted by: muso-tim 07/12/2006 at 07:05
    Joined on 18/01/2006
    Posts 604
    I'm sure it would improve. Corporal punishment never deters the really naughty students, but deters the sheep. Staff would find that while Shane and Darren continued to lark about in the corner, it would stay in the corner rather than spreading to the whole class.

Nevertheless, it could never be reintroduced - society has changed too much.
    Posted by: autismuk 07/12/2006 at 07:53
    Joined on 05/02/2005
    Posts 13,387
    IMO the problem is not the use of it. It's the threat of it. The threat is sufficient to deter "the sheep" as it is so accurately put.

At present the sheep are told something like "adults can do nothing to you ; if they do something you don't like complain" (and they'll get into serious trouble).

It's the sheep that are the problem though. There are vastly more of them than there are the real problem children, who won't benefit from caning (and should probably be in Spec. Ed).

Probably correct that it cannot be reintroduced. However, some form of deterrent is required, and this, IMO anyway, needs to be something that the sheep will find unpleasant - and it will also need to be enforcable. There is no point in having a sanction that they can simply refuse to do.

What we really need is an attitude shift. We won't get it.

• Don’t miss out on the latest jobs
  • Connect and share with friends
  • Download thousands of resources
  • Chat in the forums