Help secure 1,000 EUR for the Haiku Support Association

Forum thread started by Humdinger on Fri, 2011-10-21 07:21

Hello there!

As you may know, the "Haiku Support Association e.V." (HSA) is organizing the regular BeGeistert meeting and the associated Code Sprint. We may engage in other activities to further Haiku development in the future, if anybody has a good idea, helps with its implementation and we have the necessary funds available... *)

Speaking of funds... we could need everyone's help:
Urias McCullough made us aware (thanks, mate!), that there's a program of the German DiBa bank that awards the top 1,000 German registered societies 1,000 EUR each. It's determined by vote, and that's where the Haiku community comes in.

UPDATE:
The voting is over. Alas, we didn't make it in the top 1000. With 1,595 votes we only made it to rank 1,827, while we'd have needed at least 7,902 votes for place 1,000... Anyway, thanks everyone for your support!

If you want the HSA to be among the top-1000 you'll have to:

1. Go to our voting page
  2. Click the orange button "Stimme abgeben" (= "Vote")
  3. Enter your email address and solve the captcha, then hit the orange button "Absenden" (= "Send")
  4. You'll receive an email where you have to click the first link for confirmation
  5. Finally, in the then opening website click on the orange button "Stimme abgeben" once more.

You should do this three times, as you have 3 votes.

WebPositive may have problems with the confirmation website. Try BeZilla instead. If you haven't already, you can install it by entering installoptionalpackage BeZillaBrowser in Terminal.

Until November 15th 2011 you can cast your votes ...and those of your family and friends, collegues, aquaintences or total strangers... tweet and blog about it, put a banner up or hire a carnival barker to terrorize the neighbourhood.

Update:
Just in case you're wondering, in their FAQ the DiBa bank explicitely states that they won't pass on any information nor use it for advertising. Their campaign is under the patronage of the German minister for family affairs, by the way.

Thanks very much!
Humdinger

*) Anyone interested in working together on ideas to further Haiku's progress, please consider becoming a member.

Comments

Re: Help secure 1,000 EUR for the Haiku Support Association

Whoever is in charge of the Facebook page should link to this article.

Why is there no information on the main page and at Haiku Facebook?

ReactOS got a major head start:

https://verein.ing-diba.de/sonstiges/33378/reactos-deutschland-ev

Amine @ ReactOS tells me that he'll try to direct additional votes to HSA ;)

What about a email campaign of Haiku forum members, kind of like what ReactOS did?

I voted and link it in fb and diaspora

richienyhus wrote:

What about a email campaign of Haiku forum members, kind of like what ReactOS did?

Explain, please.

Regards,
Humdinger

OK, I put in my three. But if the email address is the identifier, well, I have a bit of a collection of those ...

Humdinger wrote:
richienyhus wrote:

Explain, please.

Regards,
Humdinger

I think what richienyhus means is that every user registered on their (ReactOS's) forums received an email about this voting thing. Every account has an email address associated with it, so they probably just used that.

sparklewind wrote:
Humdinger wrote:
richienyhus wrote:

Explain, please.

Regards,
Humdinger

I think what richienyhus means is that every user registered on their (ReactOS's) forums received an email about this voting thing. Every account has an email address associated with it, so they probably just used that.

That is just what I meant; thanks sparklewind.

sparklewind wrote:

I see. Personally, I'd consider this a bit too much as spamming... At least I don't think registering on haiku-os.org to use the forum, one has to accept promotional mails. Though maybe this could be an option in the future.
Having it on the front page should give it enough exposure for people interested enough in Haiku to visit the site every few weeks.

Regards,
Humdinger

Nine votes from me so far.
mark

Maybe this should be made non-sticky now that the contest is over.

Done (hopefully).