Archive for May, 2007

Video, Education, and Open Content

Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007

Columbia’s CCNMTL is hosting a conference today and tomorrow. Paul Gerhardt of the BBC Creative Archive, Peter Brantley of Digital Library Federation, and Murray Weston of British Universities Film and Video Council just wrapped up, Rick Prelinger is taking questions now. More at Isabel Hilborn’s blog. Technorati Tags: open video, CCNMTL

Washington Post editorial on saving NDIIPP & digital heritage

Tuesday, May 15th, 2007

Jim Barksdale and Francine Berman make the case for NDIIPP and for preservation in an editorial, Saving Our Digital Heritage, in today’s Washington Post. This is a big deal, because however cogent the arguments of preservationists, they won’t count for anything unless they are heard. (I hope the Post makes the link permanent).

Metavid receives $157K from Sunlight Foundation

Wednesday, May 9th, 2007

Metavid has received a $157,000 grant from the Sunlight Foundation. Metavid is a system for archiving and annotating video, and making it publicly accessible. The initial focus is on Congressional proceeding captured off-air from C-SPAN. Making this footage easily accessible will improve transparency, and help create a better public dialog around legislative proceedings. Congratulations to [...]

Archives and the Shooting Ratio

Tuesday, May 1st, 2007

This is another part of the television archiving problem/issue/opportunity: documentaries may show 1 percent of the footage captured. It would be great to see the other 99 percent. From Current.org: Unedited version of Crossroads soldier stories available: WETA, which oversaw production of the America at a Crossroads series, will make an uncensored version of one [...]

Online Video and the Future of Broadcasting