• Ultimate Strategist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:49 PM

I'm assuming you've seen my post then on this... lol
Posted ImagePosted Image
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.~Voltaire 1694-1778
Free inquiry requires that we tolerate diversity of opinion and that we respect the right of individuals to express their beliefs, however unpopular they may be, without social or legal prohibition or fear of success." -- Paul Kurtz

#3 User is offline   Gorays Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:37 PM

View PostGray__Fox, on Apr 15 2007, 05:49 PM, said:

I'm assuming you've seen my post then on this... lol

In EA forums? YES :) You and Cyper are talking about this(and others ofcourse.) Personnaly, I don't believe in this, even APOC/Pred said this is a coincidence.

This post has been edited by gorays/riftwave/socom: 16 April 2007 - 07:17 AM

#4 User is offline   Gorays Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:18 AM

Anybody else have thoughts on this.

#5 User is offline   Caine Icon

• Acolyte
  • Pip

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:58 AM

rofl some concept arts, and where is the rest? these few concept arts don'T save the game. it's a dumbed down C&C, it lacks many things and watch the other concept arts + read ishmael'S statements.

C&C3 is ok but pure shit for a C&C game...... C&C died with westwood, nothing else to say.

spam me, flame me, or whatever it doesn't interest me.

#6 User is offline   Bittah Commander Icon

• Follower
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

Agree with you :)
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   CommandoSR Icon

• Acolyte
  • Pip
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:30 AM

Actually, wasn't these concepts were created by/for Pacific and not the Vegas studio? You know, before they decided ultimately to work on Generals? There are older C&C3 concepts such as the CABAL Trooper.

#8 User is offline   Ishmael Icon

• Ascended Petrotopian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:31 PM

Ok, well let's go down the list:
  • Power plant -- yep, that's ours. Interesting is that we had a consistent theme in all GDI buildings (exposed girders) that wasn't carried through in the new versions.
  • Mammoth tank -- yep, that's ours. It was triple barreled, and deployed into a long-range artillery (as shown in the concept), similar to the tank in StarCraft
  • Fanatic -- that concept wasn't from Westwood for C&C3. We didn't have that unit.
  • Zone Trooper -- Nope. Just a regular soldier in our background of an EVA briefing.
  • Nod Officer -- Again, not from C&C3 from Westwood.
  • Nod Priest -- Not from WW C&C3. I have no idea where these concepts came from.
  • Nod Soldiers -- Not from WW C&C3
  • Nod Power -- Yep, that's our original concept of the Geothermal power plant, which was originally on Cabal's faction.
  • Nod Tib Refinery -- Nope, not ours. Part of a background of a sketch from a CABAL lanscape. Very loose interpretation, IMO.
  • Tripod -- Not ours, again. Never did that for WW C&C3.
  • Corruptor -- That concept pic didn't really define a unit -- it was aliens hitting Vegas in a mood piece. I don't remember what I listed the alien unit as when I wrote the description that the concept work was built from, but it wasn't any specific unit.
Story -- Yep, we had the Philadelphia destroyed... before the game had started. Our version started with the GDI Commando in his powered armor floating in orbit amongst the debris of the Philadelphia, flashing back to what happened up to that point. He doesn't have much time to think before he starts to re-enter the atmosphere...

FYI, the top (rotating) part of the C&C3 GDI radar is also from our original WW design.

So in that vid you have a lot of concepts in there that were either done for a different project, or were done after I left EALA. None of those that I called out were done at Westwood for C&C3.

Just wanted to set y'all straight on what we did or did not do at Westwood.

Additional: I don't understand why you'd want to compare these things anyway -- what we had earlier was simply different. EA decided to take the franchise in a different direction than a few of us old WW guys had planned, and that's completely within their rights to do, since they own the franchise. What "may have been" had WW finished it is all well and good, but it doesn't really matter since that game reality never shipped. I get it that some people are upset over what C&C3 may have been -- and we can all make things cooler in our imaginations than reality ever presents them to us -- but you may not have liked the WW version any better (or less, for some) than what you have in your hands now. We could have destroyed something you loved in the franchise and you'd be upset at us for it just as much as you may be at EA.

Personally, I'm simply glad that C&C lives on. Unless you worked for EA at the times we all did, you can't comprehend how much work and effort and risk it was for the people in charge at EALA to get the project rolling and keep it rolling. There was a lot of internal opposition to C&C for some reason (maybe it was just to how the ex-ww guys wanted to take it?), so you should be happy that any C&C game got completed (and to quality). You easily could have never seen another one again.

#9 User is offline   Gorays Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:08 PM

Ishmael, thanks a million for posting/answering, you made my day. :D So I knew it all along, that video is mostly untrue. I will miss Cabal since EA killed him, EA's explanation is horrible, all they said was Gdi defused Cabal's last bunker, how lame is that?

This post has been edited by gorays/riftwave/socom: 16 April 2007 - 03:11 PM

#10 User is offline   Piglet Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Gamertag:PigletCNC
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:24 PM

View Postgorays/riftwave/socom, on Apr 16 2007, 10:08 PM, said:

Ishmael, thanks a million for posting/answering, you made my day. :D So I knew it all along, that video is mostly untrue. I will miss Cabal since EA killed him, EA's explanation is horrible, all they said was Gdi defused Cabal's last bunker, how lame is that?

Maybe he will be back, I mean, you think that an Artificial Intelligence doesnt has some back up plans for locations NO ONE may be aware of?
It's illogical to say that a Mac is better than a PC, because a Mac itself is a PC.

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Ishmael Icon

• Ascended Petrotopian
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:26 PM

IMO, that entry on CABAL felt like a slam on the entire FS dev team and the direction we took the expansion.

whatever.

#12 User is offline   Piglet Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Gamertag:PigletCNC
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:29 PM

Awwww come here! *hugs you* :wub:

I hope that helped =D

Edit: was dericted at Ishmael, not you Gorays :p

This post has been edited by PigletCNC: 16 April 2007 - 03:29 PM

It's illogical to say that a Mac is better than a PC, because a Mac itself is a PC.

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Ishmael Icon

• Ascended Petrotopian
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:40 PM

What I mean is that the wording and brevity of the entry led me (just me) to believe that the subtext (i.e. what they're really saying) in that entry is "Firestorm was a stupid addon and we wish it had never happened. CABAL was lame in general and a dumb idea to wrap an expansion around. Good riddance."

Now you have to remember that we crashed the Kodiak in the beginning of FS on purpose, because many of us didn't like McNeil or Chandra, or any of the other crew from TS. We didn't want to deal with them directly, so we killed them off immediately, although in a very front-and-center incident.

EA did the same thing that we did (trim that which they didn't like), so I can't cry foul. However the tone still feels insulting. It would have been nicer to hear about CABAL's demise in a cine somewhere in C&C3, but oh well.

#14 User is offline   NastyIonCannon Icon

• Disciple of Petroglyph
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Gamertag:NastyIonCannon

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:50 PM

View PostIshmael-PG, on Apr 16 2007, 08:40 PM, said:

EA did the same thing that we did (trim that which they didn't like), so I can't cry foul. However the tone still feels insulting. It would have been nicer to hear about CABAL's demise in a cine somewhere in C&C3, but oh well.

Well, I still think EA will bring back CABAL sometime in the future. And I really hope this happens. Perhaps they say things like that to make us think that CABAL is done for good and the he pops out from somewhere and EA is like "surprise >:D"... Oh yeah, I better keep dreaming...
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Gorays Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:50 PM

Ishmael, I feel you. :D I am not a big fan of EA, Cabal is a legend and will remain a legend in C&C, and EA ended him by just saying, "Gdi defused Cabal's last bunker, the end". That makes long time C&C fans like me mad/angry. :angry:

#16 User is offline   NastyIonCannon Icon

• Disciple of Petroglyph
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Gamertag:NastyIonCannon

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:55 PM

View Postgorays/riftwave/socom, on Apr 16 2007, 08:50 PM, said:

Ishmael, I feel you. :D I am not a big fan of EA, Cabal is a legend and will remain a legend in C&C, and EA ended him by just saying, "Gdi defused Cabal's last bunker, the end". That makes long time C&C fans like me mad/angry. :angry:

There must be something more than that. For example, where did Kane go from the tube? No one knows... Except CABAL perhaps. He must be alive somewhere in the world!
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Gorays Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

View PostNastyIonCannon, on Apr 16 2007, 03:55 PM, said:

There must be something more than that. For example, where did Kane go from the tube? No one knows... Except CABAL perhaps. He must be alive somewhere in the world!

Keep dreaming, NastyIonCannon. :D

#18 User is offline   Gray__Fox Icon

• Ultimate Strategist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:45 PM

nasty is so optimistic... I guess your hopes for certain franchises havn't been crushed by EA as much as mine :p

I can honestly say Mcneil was kool to an extent but he kind of got annoying at times I wanted to punch him :p
I can see them trimming but removing cabal in that fashion just seemed, kind of err... "what oh cabal... err ya, just a sec" 10seconds later "heres what happened..." ---> insert bland explination here... :D
I didn't mind the crews in TS (the story that way was kool) but it didn't seem as personal so when they were removed it wasn't anything big because I felt like I was incharge again. and taking order from slavik was fine for me since he had a very Nod like feel.

personally a lot of what they did in 3 seems like a smack at TS... you fixed what so many complained about massing/rushing with emp's and firestorm... you added huge maps liek so many wanted... and now it's been reduced to flat small mass spam maps... :(
Posted ImagePosted Image
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.~Voltaire 1694-1778
Free inquiry requires that we tolerate diversity of opinion and that we respect the right of individuals to express their beliefs, however unpopular they may be, without social or legal prohibition or fear of success." -- Paul Kurtz

#19 User is offline   Auron_Kast Icon

• Follower
  • PipPip
  • Gamertag:auronz

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

View PostGray__Fox, on Apr 16 2007, 06:45 PM, said:

personally a lot of what they did in 3 seems like a smack at TS... you fixed what so many complained about massing/rushing with emp's and firestorm... you added huge maps liek so many wanted... and now it's been reduced to flat small mass spam maps... :(

EMPs and Firestorm couldn't come soon enough to stop a rush, considering the definition of rush to be what is accepted by most of the RTS players around. Massing, well maybe. Usually it didn't stop bombers that much and bombers were way more powerful in TS than they are now. I like both games actually and am thankful that the franchise is going on.
Caine, I believe you are the same caine who goes to whine on the c&c3 forums... I'd like to know if so why does it interest you to flame the game? if it's not you sorry then but your opinion doesn't interest me in either way too anyway, you might as well not state it anymore because I'm not interested at all =p

#20 User is offline   Mighty BOB! Icon

• Dark Lord of the Source
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:52 PM

For a second I thought I was posting when I saw my avatar..

Wesforce said:

We are living in a post-common sense society.

Finger said:

Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users