- Also On
- LikesSee All
- Everyday 925 million people go to sleep hungry! That's 13.6% of the world's population.
Today is the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty. What is the best way to lift people out of poverty?
- Good Jobs
- Fair Trade
- New Agricultural Technologies
- Yesterday Felix Baumgartner, and a team of scientists, made history by jumping from the highest altitude ever recorded, more than 128,000 feet above the earth! Felix also became the first skydiver to break the speed of sound!
Anything is possible when we work together! What incredible things have you accomplished?
- What do you want to know about the American Presidential Election?
Share your thoughts, ask questions, and get an insider's perspective on the U.S. elections from two former members of Congress! Starting now, join a live webchat with former Congressmen Larry LaRocco and Scott Klug. http://goo.gl/XZdm0
- Child Marriage Facts:
-10 million girls under age 18 are forced into marriage each year
- Childbirth is the leading cause of death among girls 15-19 in developing countries
- The longer a girl stays in school, the less likely she is to become a child-bride
Like to say "no" to child marriage and "yes" to school.
- “When women are empowered to exercise their human rights and afforded equal opportunities, amazing things happen.“ – U.S. Secretary Hillary Clinton http://goo.gl/8MhrM
This month on Democracy Challenge we’ll be focusing on girls and young women. Which issues would you like to discuss?
+ Child Marriage
+ Human Trafficking
+ Girls and School
+ Something else?
- Virginia Beavert, University of Oregon’s oldest graduate, helps preserve the Sahaptin language, spoken by less then 200 people. http://goo.gl/zPOaJ
Why is it important to respect older people?
- They have wisdom
- They have years of experience
- They have lots of knowledge
- Today is the International Day of Older Persons, a day dedicated to ensuring “the well-being of older persons and to enlisting their meaningful participation in society so we can all benefit from their knowledge and ability."
How has a grandparent or an older person guided you? Did they ever share a story that changed your way of thinking?
- ActivityOctoberPeople Who Like This5,101