Division 2 Top 10

Re: Division 2 Top 10

Postby GKDad on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Psyched4Lax wrote:Any news on any NE-10 teams thus far? Any impact freshmen classes, or lack thereof???? Any new transfers or Grad Students staying for their 5th year?

I've heard Merrimack has a D1 transfer, any idea about her impact? What about New Haven- do they have a strong freshman class to make up for their graduated seniors- I've only seen a few freshmen listed?

Any of the border teams (Assumption, St A's, SNHU) looking to have a stronger year and vie for a conference tourney spot? SNHU looks to have snagged some goalies which was certainly a position they were in need of bolstering- what about St A's? They had a strong incoming class last year that helped them to one of their best seasons in program history, any news there?

It's tough to predict impact before Fall Ball. Every team has a strong freshmen class until the first draw! Are Stonehill and Bentley having their usual Fall "tournaments"? There aren't too many DII Fallball sessions listed on the Women's Fallball page. and of course, you won't see any stats from those games anyway.
GKDad

Postby Psyched4Lax on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:04 am

I believe there are Fall Ball tourneys at New Haven, Bentley and Stonehill this year, as well as other locations that have mixed divisions playing. This weekend should likely start things off, play days are usually on Sundays.

As for all freshmen classes being strong,a t least until the first draw..., I don't necessarily agree with that. If you can trust laxpower listings for much, then you can get an idea about who is going where, and some programs, on paper at least, look like they never even stepped foot at a recruiting tournament based upon the number and/or level of their class.

Maybe more on this topic once fall ball starts to get rolling?
Psyched4Lax

Postby laxchic451 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:08 am

Who do you think is looking strong in the south? Is Limestone looking good this year?
laxchic451

Postby doubleteam on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:33 pm

I would be interested in hearing from someone who is familiar with any of the South teams. Any up and coming teams?
doubleteam

Postby SecIIILax on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:36 am

Watched LeMoyne's play day this past weekend against Siena, Niagara and St. Bona. Really talented freshman class should fit in nicely.
David St. Hubbins: Its such a fine line between stupid, and uh....
SecIIILax

Postby lp2011 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:36 am

West Chester, Limestone, Lock Haven have been staples in the NCAA tournament for south region with Rollins entering ranks last year. With very few losses to Rollins squad I see them only getting better. Lock Haven was injury plagued and West Chester played well at the right time but lost couple of key players but typically reload as does Limestone who looks to have lost only 2 significant players. I think those will be your 4 teams making tournament from south with maybe Bloomsburg knocking one of them out... The North again post, adelphi, stonehill and maybe dowling?
lp2011

Postby Psyched4Lax on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:42 am

No Le Moyne? I would be Shocked if Le Moyne doesn't make it over Dowling or Stonehill.... Stonehill looked very good this Fall from what I've heard so they are definite contenders, but Dowling? Not quite sure they had the best fall so they will have to refocus for the season.

Anyone see or hear anything about Merrimack, Bentley or New Haven this fall? All three could foreseeable vie for that new 4th NCAA slot if they take their game to the next level.
Psyched4Lax

Postby lp2011 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:50 am

My mistake. I would include Lemoyne. Still not used to them being D2 :? I would put them in top 2 or 3. and knock out Dowling.
lp2011

Postby antilaxforum on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:39 pm

I know we are talking about top ten but I will help out doubleteam on the South Region.

In the Conference Carolina's, Limestone will probably reign supreme. The loss of Prager is not the end of the world. They always seem to have another superstar in the wood shed.

In the PSAC, there is a lot of parody so I will say that Bloomsburg, Gannon, IUP, Lock Haven, Mercyhurst, & West Chester will be battling it out. Bloom lost some key players however they return the 2012 PSAC Rookie of the Year and they have a new coach so we will see how that plays out. Gannon lost some key players however this fall they looked a little up and down. Fall Ball = False Hope Sometimes... They did bring in some good recruits including a Jacksonville transfer so they could be a contender. IUP lost a lot of talent but the stability of a quality coach and quality incoming recruits will help them rise to the top of the Conference. Lock Haven lost some key players but the injury recovery of 2011 PSAC Rookie of the Year Jessica Pandolf will help the Bald Eagles stay atop the Conference. Mercyhurst has always been a wild card that seems to be hot sometimes and not at other times. They seem to have a young talented core of players that will keep them in the hunt this year. West Chester should be a national contender as usual. They seem to get a little complacent from time to time, which Bloomsburg took advantage of twice last season. With very few losses last season West Chester "should" be at the top of the conference however we will see if the demon's come out and they drop a few games because of complacency in 2013.

As for the South Independents, I would say Rollins will continue to be a tough egg to crack. They had a great season last season that peaked a little to early. It was tough to see them drop a game to Regis at the end of the regular season and then take that loss into the playoffs and drop a game to West Chester. With a large Senior class this season Rollins should be the Independent team to beat. Florida Southern I am looking to see how their sophomore season goes. They had a great season last year and they have continued to bring in quality recruits. I am looking for them to be an independent wild card.

For all of the Lindenwood supporters, I am going to recite my original argument on why they will not be included in the national poll. Lindenwood has not been accepted into NCAA Division II formally. Lindenwood is still a DII Candidate and has to be certified by the NCAA Committee on Athletic Certification to become a full DII member in Fall 2013 - Spring 2014. Because of this they are not eligible for the 2013 NCAA Division II Championships. A couple other NAIA schools fall into this category as well.

Presbyterian College was denied full membership last year for their NCAA Division I transition and will had to spend an additional year in the certification process.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/s%20...%20id=5942856

Because of this fact, there is no point of considering Lindenwood in this discussion.

doubleteam, I hope this incite was informative and we are all looking forward to seeing how the coaches vote for the 2013 Preseason Poll. Please feel free to dissect my comments and expand the arguments.
antilaxforum

Postby randy on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:51 pm

For all of the Lindenwood supporters, I am going to recite my original argument on why they will not be included in the national poll. Lindenwood has not been accepted into NCAA Division II formally. Lindenwood is still a DII Candidate and has to be certified by the NCAA Committee on Athletic Certification to become a full DII member in Fall 2013 - Spring 2014. Because of this they are not eligible for the 2013 NCAA Division II Championships. A couple other NAIA schools fall into this category as well.

This past July Lindenwood was granted provisional membership by the NCAA Division II Membership Committee. Lindenwood remains on track to become a full NCAA member for the 2013-14 school year. Provisional membership is different than the Candidacy period. In its provisional year, Lindenwood will continue to follow all NCAA Division II regulation and rules. Lindenwood can now use the NCAA brand for promotional and recruiting purposes, including the NCAA logo, but is ineligible for postseason competition for 2013. Assuming all requirments are met, the team will be eligible to compete in the 2014 tournament if they were to qualify. They are still eligible to win the conference title in 2013, the same as they were in 2012, when they did win it.

As far as the National Poll goes, I believe that is up to the coaches association to decide if they can be ranked, not the NCAA.
For example, the Lindenwood men's soccer team is ranked #19 Nationally in the NSCAA Poll which is to men's soccer what the IWCLA poll is to women's lacrosse.
randy

Postby antilaxforum on Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Randy, Thank you for the correction and congratulations on provisional membership, however my point still stands... Lindenwood is not eligible for the NCAA Tournament in 2013.
antilaxforum

Postby GKDad on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:55 am

Psyched4Lax wrote:Anyone see or hear anything about Merrimack, Bentley or New Haven this fall? All three could foreseeable vie for that new 4th NCAA slot if they take their game to the next level.

I didn't get to see New Haven this fall so I can't comment too much about them. Bentley seems extremely strong this year and I think they will surprise some teams. Merrimack is still somewhat questionable at this point. They really need some players to step up and take the place of the players that graduated last year. I think they have the talent, now lets see if they can develop the motivation and desire. Merrimack will have to hit the ground running as their first two games seem to be against Adelphi and LeMoyne. Both of those games will test Merrimack's metal and could set the tone for the rest of the season.
GKDad

Postby D2Laxin on Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:06 am

I made my way around this fall and saw a handful of D2 teams . First , I saw CWPost play at the Hofstra Tourny and thought they look really good. They had good size and speed. No suprise, they are my preseason number 1 not bc they the reigning champs bc they are really good. Adelphi lost some key players and its interesting how the roster has change since the Spallina era. Alot more maryland and Jersey girls. I just not feeling they will have enough to win it and think they are going have their worst season in the past 5 years. Dowling should hold there own this year again , they lose Witkowski at the Draw circle but rest of team pretty much intact. Dont know how the school buget problems 60 million in the hole is going to effect the program. I dont expect much from New haven losing Fernadez, Gabbe and Magnone, and Stonehill has to regroups after graduating their AA Lynott.
I think Anti lax said it correct about about the souhern school many peak too early primary bc they start in Jan.. I know sometime my daughter school dont see they green til march. I was at Downingtown and few other venues again agree that the PSAC are up for grabs . From what I saw I thought Lock Haven stood out. They added a few good impact fresh and the return of others has made them a very fast team that movrd the ball really well. WC looked good nothing off the charts. ( only saw them at Dowingtown). Bloomsburg with Mazzie ( how many are there?) in the mix and Bates in goal are going be ok.IUP will be led by Lodovici who may be the quickest player in D2. So the PSAC are going to a up for grab Conference.
I think the real Mystery is Le Moyne with Bridgandi and Fucillo gone. Any Le Moyne reports out there.?????
D2Laxin

Postby SecIIILax on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:19 pm

As noted above, I think things are looking very good in Dolphin-land. Very nice freshman class should bring more depth, the one thing that was lacking last year when they lost a couple of key starters to injury. I will personally miss that goalie :lol:, but her replacement looked very good this Fall.
SecIIILax

Postby luvlax27 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:48 pm

LIU Post (formerly CW Post) is really good. They are as good, if not better, than they have been in the previous 5 years, and they have been a perennial top 5 team. I like their size and speed, and they seem to be playing with a lot of discipline. They are fun to watch, as well.
luvlax27

Postby SecIIILax on Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Interesting. I was at SU play day last month and I was told Post had been beaten handily by Cortland earlier that morning. I didn't see the game but I was surprised, and I wondered whether Post had lost a lot from last year.
SecIIILax

Postby luvlax27 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:21 pm

I saw them beat Holy Cross and Manhattan College two weeks ago, and they looked good then.
luvlax27

Postby Master Recruiter on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:59 pm

I like Georgian Court to win the CACC, schedule looks a little weak to break the top 10, new coach could be the difference, did not lose anything to graduation and picked up a solid defensive help and New jerseys second leading goal scorer, looked good this past weekend against Villanova, and Monmouth but of coarse over matched
Master Recruiter

Postby doubleteam on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:00 pm

doubleteam, I hope this incite was informative and we are all looking forward to seeing how the coaches vote for the 2013 Preseason Poll. Please feel free to dissect my comments and expand the arguments.

Not sure I'm that well informed as I haven't seen many of the Southern teams yet. Florida Southern should be very strong with a fine recruiting class coming in. Rollins didn't lose much and has a pretty strong class coming in also. But I tend to agree with you concerning the other strong teams in the South.
West Chester, Limestone, Lock Haven, I'm sure will all be strong as usual.
doubleteam

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Women's Lacrosse