• QMA

    • From our gallery interns: Ask what themes the viewer sees in the exhibit & show images of other works from diff. countries on theme #EduTues 5 hours ago
    • We teach practical & often tech-based art classes to our New New Yorkers & encourage sharing personal histories in their work #EduTues 6 hours ago
    • We engage in #ArtsEd most w/ our #diverse audience through our New New Yorkers program for new #immigrants: http://t.co/TJssDI3H #EduTues 6 hours ago
    • One Edu staffer says: The question is always a matter of tuning into the various personalities and responding to each accordingly #EduTues 6 hours ago
    • We always have Spanish language support in wkshps + often Chinese & Korean too. Everyone should feel comfortable asking questions. #EduTues 7 hours ago
  • QMA Panorama photostream

    The Neustadt Collection of Tiffany Glass

    On Long Term View

    Since 1995 the Queens Museum of Art and the Neustadt Collection of Tiffany Glass have partnered to present and promote the art work of Louis C. Tiffany in the New York metropolitan area.

    Now on Display

    Tiffany: The Glass is an exhibition organized by The Neustadt Collection of Tiffany Glass exploring the colors, patterns, textures and types of glass made for and used by Tiffany Studios. The installation includes two windows, eleven lampshades, and more than two hundred examples of flat glass and is on view in the Neustadt Gallery at the Queens Museum of Art.

    Louis C. Tiffany (1848-1933) was a prolific artist, decorator and designer but he is best known for the leaded-glass windows, lamps, and mosaics made under his direction. This exhibition highlights some of the most commonly used types of opalescent glass produced at the Tiffany Furnaces in Corona, Queens, just blocks from the Queens Museum, as well as glass purchased from commercial glass manufacturers, including the Opalescent Glass Works in Kokomo, Indiana. The windows and lamps on display demonstrate some of the ways in which these distinctive materials were used to replicate the details of the natural world. This installation is the first of its kind and focuses on the beauty and diversity of the material used by Tiffany and his craftsmen to achieve an extraordinary range of effects in the depiction of flora, figures, and ornamental designs.

    About Louis C. Tiffany

    Louis Comfort Tiffany was one of the foremost decorative artists of his time. His father, Charles Lewis Tiffany, was the co-founder of Tiffany & Company, the luxury retailer best known for fine silver and jewelry. At an early age Tiffany was exposed to superbly-designed and expertly-crafted objets d’art, undoubtedly stimulating his love and appreciation for exceptional objects and setting him on a self-proclaimed “quest of beauty.”

    Tiffany began his career as a landscape painter but eventually branched out into interior design and the decorative arts. Over the years he formed a number of companies in both Manhattan and Queens that manufactured leaded-glass windows, lamps, mosaics, glassware, enamels, ceramics, metalwork, furniture, and textiles. These works were available at his Manhattan showroom and in fine retail and jewelry stores throughout the United States and Europe.

    Special commissions were an important part of Tiffany’s businesses. Many of his clients were wealthy, socially-prominent families seeking unique objects and interiors for their lavish homes. Churches also ordered elaborate interiors, including windows, lighting fixtures, mosaics, and ecclesiastical furniture. Some examples of these interiors can still be seen in New York City.

    History of the Neustadt Collection

    Dr. Egon Neustadt and his wife Hildegard began collecting Tiffany objects in 1935 with the purchase of a Tiffany desk lamp in New York City. At this time Tiffany’s lavish designs were out of fashion and Dr. Neustadt noted that when they brought the lamp home their friends “didn’t like it.” Undaunted, Dr. Neustadt’s interest in Tiffany shades and bases became all-consuming.

    One of the earliest serious collectors of Tiffany lamps, Dr. Neustadt assembled an encyclopedic collection which included desk, reading, library, and floor lamps as well as hanging shades and chandeliers. He also added leaded-glass windows and bronze desk sets to his collection. In 1967, he acquired some 500 crates of sheet and pressed glass made and used by the Tiffany Studios which were left over after the company went bankrupt in the early 1930s.

    In 1970, Dr. Neustadt published his collection in a book, The Lamps of Tiffany. In it he classified the different types of lamps and developed a nomenclature to describe the various categories of lamp designs.

    In 1983 Dr. Neustadt donated a selection of lamps to The New-York Historical Society. When he died the following year, his Manhattan apartment still contained a rich variety of Tiffany lamps and windows. This private treasure has become the core of The Neustadt Collection of Tiffany Glass.

    Since 1995 The Neustadt Collection has had a partnership with The Queens Museum of Art. A permanent gallery featuring changing exhibitions provides an opportunity to display and explore Dr. Neustadt’s collection. It also continues Tiffany’s presence in Corona, Queens where Tiffany Studios and Furnaces were once located.

    The mission of The Neustadt Collection of Tiffany Glass is to preserve, interpret, and develop its holdings of Tiffany lamps, windows, glass, and related objects. The collection is accessible through changing exhibitions, public programs, and publications. A distinctive feature of the Neustadt Collection is its commitment to foster a better understanding of Tiffany by making its objects available through traveling exhibitions to museums and galleries around the country.

    For additional information about the collection, exhibitions, conservation and research please contact The Neustadt Collection of Tiffany Glass directly via email or phone at 718-361-8489.