No Mutants Allowed!
No Mutants Allowed
We were here before the fall....

FAQ  -  NMA  -  Search -  Memberlist -  UsergroupsRegister Files - Gallery 
Profile -  Log in to check your private messages -  Log in 

Defonten posters

Fallout license changes hands
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    No Mutants Allowed Forum Index -> News Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Per
Vault Lizard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 21:12    Post subject: Fallout license changes hands Reply with quote

As of April 9th, 2007, the Fallout IP is no longer in the hands of Interplay, but has been sold to Bethesda Softworks for the sum of $5,750,000 as can be read in this 8-K report filed today. The meat of the statement is as follows:
As of April 4, 2007, the Company entered into, an Asset Purchase Agreement (the "APA") and a Trademark License Agreement (the "License Back") with Bethesda Softworks LLC, a video game developer and publisher ("Bethesda"), regarding "FALLOUT", an intellectual property which was owned by the Company (the "IP"). Although such agreements were signed on April 4, 2007 they were agreed not to be binding until closing which occurred on April 9, 2007.

Under the APA, the Company sold all of its rights to the IP to Bethesda for a total amount of $5,750,000.00 payable to the Company, subject to various conditions, in three cash installments. The first installment of $2,000,000.00 was paid following closing when $200,000.00 was paid to the Company and $1,800,000.00 was deposited into an escrow account to satisfy various liabilities. The Company expects to have fulfilled its obligations under the APA and to receive full payment during the third quarter of 2007. The Company had previously, on June 29, 2004, entered into, an exclusive licensing agreement with Bethesda, regarding the IP which was superseded by the APA.

Under the License Back the Company obtained an exclusive license, under certain conditions, to use the IP for the purpose of developing an Interplay branded Fallout Massively Multiplayer Online Game ("MMOG").
Interplay pledges to obtain funding for and start the development of the MMOG within two years and to successfully launch it within six (which entails securing the continual patronage of a minimum of 10,000 paying subscribers), or else forfeit this license. Some additional excerpts:
2.6 RESERVATION OF RIGHTS. Any and all rights not explicitly granted to Interplay hereunder are reserved by Bethesda.

5.3.2 Interplay shall not offer or provide any products or services whose nature or quality does not comply with the quality standards of Bethesda.

7.0 PAYMENT OF ROYALTIES. Interplay agrees to pay Bethesda a Royalty of twelve percent (12%) of the Net Cash Receipts derived from the sale and distribution of the FALLOUT MMOG, including sales of subscription fees or access fees to the FALLOUT MMOG or any other revenues generated by the FALLOUT MMOG, in the Territory during each calendar quarter following the commercial launch of the FALLOUT MMOG.
Thus Fallout takes another step in its desert walk away from the vault doors of Interplay, but for now, the separation remains incomplete.

Link: The Trademark License Agreement

Thanks to troybilt and Briosafreak.

elpintogrande wrote:
The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

Todo.txt wrote:
BUG: Fixed alcoholic lizards!
Briosafreak
Consigliere

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Per.

This is definite, the Fallout IP and assets are now 100% property of Bethsoft, Interplay moved to the role of "licensee", instead of owning the property.

Herve will still hold to the MMORPG dream for a while, he's funny...
13pm
NMA News Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh.. like there was no Interplay doing Fallout at all, like they've bought a license to do FOOL from Beth.

My instincts tell me that it'll end in selling the rights for FOOL to Bethesda too..
DarkPhilly
Hideous Freak of Nature

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great now they can do whatever they like with the license. Well Even moreso now since I-Play held it. Lets see what transpires.
radnan
A Smooth-Skin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herve probably dreams of settling the bankruptcy through hiring/fooling someone to do FOOL and settle things from the constant imaginary cash flow.

Btw does interplay own any other franchises that could be of value ? i'm asking this because that would be the only reason to keep interplay up if they settle their debts.

As for Beth it will be all up to FO3 ... which will probably suck .. and because they are devs they'll continue using the license and not outsource production which is in my opinion not a hell of a lot better off since with Interplay there was at least the chance that the right devs couldve been rehired to do it.

My 2c. Thank you.
keyser Soeze
Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
5.3.2 Interplay shall not offer or provide any products or services whose nature or quality does not comply with the quality standards of Bethesda.

Shocked

Miss print? I think it should be:

5.3.2 Bethesda shall not offer or provide any products or services whose nature or quality does not comply with the quality standards of Interplay .
Hideous Freak of Nature

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern is how hard Bethesda will crack down on independent efforts that have gone ignored by Interplay. Couldn't they make alot of trouble for a number of fan-made projects?
Per
Vault Lizard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

keyser Soeze wrote:
Miss print? I think it should be:

5.3.2 Bethesda shall not offer or provide any products or services whose nature or quality does not comply with the quality standards of Interplay .

No, that part is about Interplay's responsibilities when making the MMOG. They can't do anything bad that would hurt Bethesda's reputation by association, Bethesda has the right to check up on their progress, and so on. Bethesda on the other hand own the actual IP so they can do whatever they want.

elpintogrande wrote:
The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

Todo.txt wrote:
BUG: Fixed alcoholic lizards!
sanyok21
Hideous Freak of Nature

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone thinks this clue to a soon-to-be-announced Fallout 3?
radnan
A Smooth-Skin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question from me: How and to what extent are the old assets in the possesion of Beth? (such as software & artwork from FO1 & 2) Do they have the rights for the Name and Trademarks or are they in possesion of everything interplay "owned" ...

i'm sorry if the question is stupid but i'm a bit confused as to what FO1 &2 s status is now as software products and not just trademarks
Cimmerian Nights
Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad good design and creative writing can't be licensed too.
Brother None
El-ahrairah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Thumbs up

radnan wrote:
A question from me: How and to what extent are the old assets in the possesion of Beth? (such as software & artwork from FO1 & 2) Do they have the rights for the Name and Trademarks or are they in possesion of everything interplay "owned" ...

If you mean physical possession, I'll just assume that has not changed, and you should just check our page on that.

If you mean "legally", nobody can publish (or use) and Fallout artwork/assets that break Bethesda's trademark. Bethesda does not magically become the owner of the assets that have fanned out over the world, though.
radnan
A Smooth-Skin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy thanks i didnt know about that page. it was an intresting read (especially about assets owned by Obsidian)
Dracon M'Alkir
The Man With A Golden Bandwidth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this news, I officially believe that Interplay is now dead.

Their chances of Fallout Online being a success are very slim, and with Bethesda now retaining complete ownership over Fallout 3, Interplay is done for.

The next question is: Will he even manage to pay off his debts with the money that he recieved from Bethesda? Embarassed

"Absolute truth is a very rare and dangerous commodity in the context of professional journalism." (Hunter S. Thompson)
taxacaria
It Wandered In From the Wastes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per wrote:
Bethesda on the other hand own the actual IP so they can do whatever they want.

And they will do what they do best.
"Bethesda standards" - now Toddy is the measure of all things.

A Fallout MMO at $30.000.000 minimum finance in the next two years - ROFL.
Weird fantasies of a chapter eight company, and it's a terrible idea, too.
Jarf
Hideous Freak of Nature

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bright side, it means Fallout isn't dead.

And you never know. Bethesda might just produce a quality Fallout based RPG. Maybe.

As for Interplay, I see this as the definitive demise of them. Even if they do release a MMO Fallout game I won't be taking part. Paying monthly to play a video game isn't my cup of tea at all.
Hotel California
Mildly Dipped

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only question is ... Now Beth owns the IP rights are they going to ask us to stop modding the original games in case it hurts their sales.

Or are we just small fry. They don't seemed to have listened that closely to us previously.
Goweigus
Mildly Dipped

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes because everyone realizes just how wonderful Bethesda's quality standards are... Laughing Crying or Very sad
Montez
V For Vault

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

octotron wrote:
My concern is how hard Bethesda will crack down on independent efforts that have gone ignored by Interplay. Couldn't they make alot of trouble for a number of fan-made projects?

Hotel California wrote:
The only question is ... Now Beth owns the IP rights are they going to ask us to stop modding the original games in case it hurts their sales.

Since Morrowind and Oblivion were both released with complete development tools, and since fan made mods for both games are a huge part of their continuing appeal, I think we can safely dismiss these concerns as ridiculous.
zioburosky13
Vault Senior Citizen

Strikes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most game sequel that's not developed by its original maker has the potential of being a POS product. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, X-com: Enforcer, Heroes of Might and Magic 4.... mmm...what else?

So we can assume the next Fallout sequel develops by the same people who ruined their company's original IP (TES...), 90% chances of the game can be a coup de grāce to every hardcore Fallout fan.

For now, my hope for a hardcore CRPG lies in the hand of some indie developer 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    No Mutants Allowed Forum Index -> News Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: