3rd Principle: Acceptance of One Another and Encouragement to Spiritual Growth in Our Congregations
In other words, Were free to learn together.
As Unitarian Universalists we affirm and promote 7 Principles and the sources of faith from which they are drawn. They represent the backbone of the religious community in which we participate.
Examples of the 3rd Principle in Action
- The Leap of Faith initiative establishes mentoring relationships between selected congregations to promote community growth and congregational development.
- Forward Through the Ages (FORTH) is a multi-year stewardship development program designed to support a congregations mission while deepening its commitment to a clear vision of the future.
Chalica is a week-long celebration of our Unitarian Universalist Principles. Each day, a chalice is lit and the day is spent reflecting on the meaning of that days principle and doing a good deed that honors that principle.
- The UU Congregation of Smithton offers an excellent selection of readings, songs, and discussion questions for each day of Chalica, and posted video of the same: Chalica Day Three (YouTube).
- The Tapestry of Faith childrens curriculum Love Surrounds Us explores all the Principles in the context of Beloved Community of family/home, school, neighborhood. Session 6 focuses on the third Principle, and allows children to learn and demonstrate acceptance and compassion to everyone through story, art, games, and meditation.
- Reflection on the UU Third Principle by Rev. Sunshine Jeremiah Wolfe
At the heart of this principle for me is the value that community matters.
Learn more about the Beliefs Principles of Unitarian Universalism, or read our online magazine, UU World, for features on today's Unitarian Universalists. Visit an online UU church, or find a congregation near you.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Tuesday, January 29, 2013.
- Are My Beliefs Welcome?
- Flaming Chalice
- Worship & Congregational Life
- Ministries in Unitarian Universalism
- Further Reading
- Mobile App: Illuminations
- Ask a Question