American Dad is based on the Smith family, and takes place in a fictional suburb in Virginia. A somewhat similar to Family Guy series featuring the age old formula of parents and kids. Difference being, unlike the Simpsons, and MacFarlane's brain child Family Guy, American Dad only has two children. Two children, a German speaking goldfish, and a drunken effeminate alien. However, the intro sequence in which Stan grabs his newspaper is a direct similarity to the Simpson's chalkboard bit, as the headline changes from episode to episode. Headlines include spoofs such as " Childhood obesity up: Pedophilia Down".
While not as highly rated as Family Guy, American Dad follows the Smith family through the obstacles of Stan- a right wing CIA agent and his trying to ensure the country's safety while coping with his pseudo traditional albeit wacky family. The show boasts animated cameos of President Bush, and from time to time looks at popular news issues in a humorous manner. For instance, Stan and family had to more into the Middle East as an assignment that Stan was forced to take. In this episode, the Smith family learns how women are viewed, as well as the cultural differences between the United States and the Middle East.
American Dad will be working into it's fourth season, while season three will begin airing this fall. The show originally debuted after Super Bowl 2005 to great response and continues to hold strong. Currently, American Dad airs as part of Fox's Sunday night line up which includes Family Guy, the Simpson's, and War at Home. American Dad receives about 7.5 million viewers and remains one of the top contenders of it's time slot- it's target group is males aged 18-34.
The series was created by Seth MacFarlane ( who also does most of the voice credits), Mike Barker, and Matt Weitzman. It is produced by Fuzzy Door Productions for 20th Century Fox.
Josh Grossberg-"Red Alert! American Dad Reupped"
Published by Veronika Fevers
Veronika Fevers began writing for Jam Rag Press in 1992. Jam Rag Press was a Detroit based independent music magazine. In addition to writing album and concert reviews, Veronika also interviewed many musical... View profile
- Family Guy Corn Maze and Other Entertainment Icon Corn MazesConnors Farm's Family Guy Corn Maze is the newest corn maze to pay tribute to an entertainment icon. Includes Family Guy Corn Maze information and where to find New Moon, Alice...
- Family Guy Corn Maze Cut into Farmer's PropertyMassachusetts farmer Bob Connors has bestowed a great honor upon the long-running animated comedy series "Family Guy" by creating a "Family Guy" corn maze featuring two of the series' main characters, Stewie and Brian.
- Lauren Conrad to Guest Star on Family GuyThe Hills hottie recently told press that she enlisted the help of an acting coach to help her get ready for her guest starring role on Family Guy.
- The Coolest "Family Guy" Halloween Costumes on Planet EarthThe animated television series "Family Guy" is incredibly popular around the world and especially in the United States. Many people will want to dress up as one the Griffins: ba...
- Tonya Harding Sex Tape Video Gets Bump from "Family Guy"One of the best things about the internet is that it is "information access central," like when you need to find out something about a Tonya Harding sex video tape that Peter Gr...
- Take Action Against American Dad: A January Episode About Bestiality
- Family Guy: Too Crude for TV?
- Is Seth MacFarlane Killing Family Guy?
- "Family Guy" Not a "Microsoft Kinda Guy" Microsoft Cancels Sponsorship of "Fami...
- Sarah Palin Angry at "Family Guy" for Down Syndrome Satire
- "Family Guy" Down Syndrome Actress: Sarah Palin Doesn't Have a Sense of Humor
- Sarah Palin Takes Family Guy Episode to Heart