I noticed that the archive of the video stream of today’s Apple press conference has a “non-Apple” URL:
Who/what is “edgesuite.net”, I thought.
Edgesuite.net is run by Akamai Technologies (www.akamai.com). Akamai is a content delivery network (CDN) that is used by a large percentage of Internet sites (something like a â…“ to Â˝ of all traffic goes through Akamai). Normally the addresses donâ€™t show up, but sometimes you will seeÂ edgesuite.net which is handled by Akamai. In this case, you arenâ€™t the victim of phishing, but rather the website is using external CDN to speed up delivery of your traffic.
Adamai works in the background, making Internet content and commerce delivery seem seamless:
- Akamai has 73,000 servers in 70 countries within nearly 1,000 networks.
- 85% of the world’s Internet users are within a single “network hop” of an Akamai server.
- Akamai can deliver up to 15-20% of Web traffic on any given day.
- Akamai delivers daily Web traffic greater than a Tier-1 ISP, at times reaching more than 2 Terabits per second.
- Akamai delivers hundreds of billions of daily Internet interactions.
- Akamai helps securely enable more than $100 billion in annual e-commerce for its online retail customers (Source: 2006 revenue compiled byÂ Internet Retailer magazine)
- Cathay Pacific Airways increased online bookings and extranet adoption, and saved more than $1,000,000 annually, through Akamaiâ€™s Web Application Acceleration service
- The top online music stores have sold billions of songsâ€¦ and countingâ€¦ delivered via the Akamai platform