Sanatan Dharma College (Lahore), Ambala Cantt, was founded at Lahore in 1916 by the great Sanatanists Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya and Pandit Deen Dayal Vachaspati. Pandit Reikhi Ram Ji was the most active force behind its birth and also instrumental in collecting huge donations. In the wake of partition of country in 1947 , the institution was rehabilitated at Ambala Cantt in 1948 due to the untiring efforts of Goswami Ganesh Dutt Ji. No less significant was the role of local Sanatan Dharama Sabha in its re-establishment in the initial trying period. In promoting the cause of higher education , today, it is the leading institution in the northern region and thereby holds a place of prominence. Since its inception , the institute has been imparting quality education imbued with human values.
Inculcating moral values and preparing responsible citizens to meet the challenges of life courageously and calmly continues to be its hall-mark. The college is run by S.D. College Society, New Delhi, the parent body of which is Sanatan Dharma Pratinidhi Sabha (Punjab), New Delhi. Its Working area extends to Punjab, Haryana, HP, Chandigarh, New Delhi, U.P, Uttranchal and Rajasthan. It runs over 22 colleges and 80 schools in the above states . Besides this college, the S.D.College society, New Delhi runs the following institutions in Ambala: D.K.K.D.S.D. Adarsh Sanskrit College, D.H.K.D.S.D. Public School, S.D. Public School Toddlers.
With over 3000+ students on its rolls, the college today is a premier, multi-faculty, co-educational institute of higher education in Northern India. It has been awarded the Status of 'College with Potential for Excellence' by University Grants Commission, New Delhi.
* To create situations providing stimuli to the pupil teachers to attain academic excellence.
* To provide excellent teacher educators to the budding teachers.
* To encourage innovation and creativity among the teacher educators as well as the students.
* To encourage self-learning and self-evaluation.
* To create abundant opportunities for cultural activities, seminars and other co-curricular activities.
* To produce the socially sensitive teachers aspiring to serve the nation selflessly.