Barachan Forum

Suggestions & Ideas

Author Topic: Suggestions & Ideas  (Read 1518 times)

Tanz

• Administrator
Suggestions & Ideas
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:08:55 AM »
Suggestions on how to improve Barachan is always welcome, whether it's the Imageboard or the Forum.

Juuzou

• Chronic Cuddle Addict
  • In this mirror-shot I am euphoric.
Re: Suggestions & Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 09:19:06 AM »
I think it would be useful to keep the "Off-topic and Rants" section of the old forum, just as a medium to filter any potentially out of place threads (Also a containment center for shitstorms; "[Trigger Warning]" is the last tag I want to see in general discussion.) .
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 09:21:08 AM by Juuzou »

Barachan is Evil.

Tanz

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:27:28 AM »
(Also a containment center for shitstorms; "[Trigger Warning]" is the last tag I want to see in general discussion.) .

Mind elaborating on what the [Trigger Warning] tag is for?

Juuzou

• Chronic Cuddle Addict
  • In this mirror-shot I am euphoric.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 11:07:37 AM »
Mind elaborating on what the [Trigger Warning] tag is for?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Trigger%20warning
"Used to alert people when an internet post, book, article, picture, video, audio clip, or some other media could potentially cause extremely negative reactions (such as post-traumatic flashbacks or self-harm) due to its content."

Barachan is Evil.

sleeps

• Cub
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 03:59:18 AM »
hmmm maybe an introduction and departure section might help us all get to know each other a bit. Also maybe a forum game section where post based games that are not Role Plays could be done. Finally I think maybe a wacky spammy area could also be of use so that stuff that has no topic or just meant to be of goofiness can go in there and not clutter up the general discussion area.

YaoiBaraFangirl

• Queen of Bara
  • Queen of Bara
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 08:56:34 AM »
Is it possible to make a "user submissions" area like on the previous forums?  For personal artwork?

hourdarch

• Cub
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »
One thing I've always loved from the old baraforums was the Repository; especially the specific threads for different artists. I remember a really great Takeshi Matsu thread with links for Raw and Translated scans, and there was one for Shunpei Nakata which had plenty of links. I thought it was a great way for tracking them, like whether a new dj is posted or a broken link reuploaded, and the first post makes it easy to complete one's collection, as well as coordinating so that two future translators don't accidentally translate one dj at the same time.

As new doujins are posted at the new /dj/, a good idea would be if an artist's other works become available over time, a "database thread" could be created at a repository, though on the otherhand... artists could also easily find and report the forums this way too :'(. (Just an idea though.. lurker passing through don't mind me~  :-[)

Torahiko

• Tiger Addict
  • I'm Tora! You can call me Andy.
    • Baraposts
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 01:14:32 PM »
Agree with sleeps, an Introduction and departure section are needed. All forums have it.
Oh, This forum used Envision2013?
I like this but I prefer MyBB, or PunBB
But if this what do you wanted, I'm ok with it.

Oh, the key captcha or something like that is very sick :p
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 01:33:38 PM by Theofatrus »
You like Hatsune Miku, no?
(click to show/hide)
私虎彦です…

Extension

• Tales of Bara
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 09:30:45 PM »
Along with the other boards that have been mentioned, I think you should bring Bara Literature back.

Also, I noticed that I can create topics in the News & Info board... I'm pretty sure you couldn't do that on the previous Bara News board. Just a heads-up if that is not intentional.
"O, correlate born in the depths of nothing, abandon your mundane form and become annihilation incarnate...

BaraButterfly23

• Junior Bear
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 11:56:02 PM »
So, is  the place to post our art on the barachan image-board? Because I liked the "Drawn Bara" section of the old forums
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!

Tanz

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 07:57:28 AM »
Oh lordly lordy... It took a few hours but I think I've fixed the things ya'll pointed out.

hmmm maybe an introduction and departure section might help us all get to know each other a bit. Also maybe a forum game section where post based games that are not Role Plays could be done. Finally I think maybe a wacky spammy area could also be of use so that stuff that has no topic or just meant to be of goofiness can go in there and not clutter up the general discussion area.

I've added a introductions/departures section where people can post if they so please. And since there's no longer any "downloads" section, it's not a requirement to post in there like on the old board.
As for forum games, they can be done in the general dicussions section, and the "spammy area" sort of fits the off-topic board.

Is it possible to make a "user submissions" area like on the previous forums?  For personal artwork?

Added.

One thing I've always loved from the old baraforums was the Repository; especially the specific threads for different artists. I remember a really great Takeshi Matsu thread with links for Raw and Translated scans, and there was one for Shunpei Nakata which had plenty of links. I thought it was a great way for tracking them, like whether a new dj is posted or a broken link reuploaded, and the first post makes it easy to complete one's collection, as well as coordinating so that two future translators don't accidentally translate one dj at the same time.

As new doujins are posted at the new /dj/, a good idea would be if an artist's other works become available over time, a "database thread" could be created at a repository, though on the otherhand... artists could also easily find and report the forums this way too :'(. (Just an idea though.. lurker passing through don't mind me~  :-[)

The catalog feature of the imageboard should be what you're looking for; http://boards.barachan.org/dj/catalog.html
I've also added a 4chan-esque link on each board to the catalog section, since it was surprisingly hard to find before.

If you got any further suggestions on how to make the catalog better (at least for the DJ section) let me know.

Agree with sleeps, an Introduction and departure section are needed. All forums have it.
Oh, This forum used Envision2013?
I like this but I prefer MyBB, or PunBB
But if this what do you wanted, I'm ok with it.

Oh, the key captcha or something like that is very sick :p

Yeah, the reason I used this particular forum software (SMF) was because of the improved PM system, something people seemed to use a heck ova lot on the old board. It also got plenty of neat administrative features (like the error logs, god I love them).

The downside is that the themes are pretty meh. This one (Envision2013) was the only half-decent one I could find.
If you have any suggestions for a better theme, please let me know.

And yes, I literally had to use keycaptcha because apparently the spambots chewed through reCaptcha like it was nothing. I'm guessing they use chinese/indian slave workers to solve captchas for them now.

Along with the other boards that have been mentioned, I think you should bring Bara Literature back.

Also, I noticed that I can create topics in the News & Info board... I'm pretty sure you couldn't do that on the previous Bara News board. Just a heads-up if that is not intentional.

Added and fixed. Thanks. :)

So, is  the place to post our art on the barachan image-board? Because I liked the "Drawn Bara" section of the old forums

The user submissions board should be what you're looking for. :)

Torahiko

• Tiger Addict
  • I'm Tora! You can call me Andy.
    • Baraposts
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 09:27:01 AM »
Yeah, the reason I used this particular forum software (SMF) was because of the improved PM system, something people seemed to use a heck ova lot on the old board. It also got plenty of neat administrative features (like the error logs, god I love them).

The downside is that the themes are pretty meh. This one (Envision2013) was the only half-decent one I could find.
If you have any suggestions for a better theme, please let me know.

And yes, I literally had to use keycaptcha because apparently the spambots chewed through reCaptcha like it was nothing. I'm guessing they use chinese/indian slave workers to solve captchas for them now.

Improved PM system?  ??? I didn't realize it.
I'll check it out.

Nah, I'm cool with this theme. I'm too lazy to search other theme. But If I found one, I'd happy to let you know.  ;)

Heh, Spambots these days got really mad.  :o
Haha, how come they use Chinese/Indian slave workers?  :o
You like Hatsune Miku, no?
(click to show/hide)
私虎彦です…

YaoiBaraFangirl

• Queen of Bara
  • Queen of Bara
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »

So will the Barachan site, the one that's like 4-chan, will that be the place where we upload doujins and stuff from now on?  Or can it have it's own space here?

wohdin

• Cub
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 11:25:42 AM »
If we're moving the doujins feature to the imageboard, can we at least get some thread tagging features for it? Preferably at the very least have the ability to tag each thread with [Artist] or [Author] and [Name], that way we can find something without having to look through a giant wall of randomly sorted images.

Tanz

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 07:55:31 PM »
Heh, Spambots these days got really mad.  :o
Haha, how come they use Chinese/Indian slave workers?  :o

Yeah, we literally had like... 4 or 5 spambot posts within 24 hours of the forum being opened and announced to the public. And I think 80% of the current membercount is spambots from before I implemented KeyCaptcha. I'll look through them later and delete the ones that seem spambot-ish.

And yes, earlier when captchas was less elaborate the spambots could solve them automatically using OCR.
However with the dawn of ReCaptcha and tons of sites implementing it, spambots got screwed over because you cannot properly ORC a ReCaptcha image. So the spammers started hiring slave labor to solve hundreds of ReCaptchas per hour manually, which they then save and the spambots then use for automatic verification when posting/registering.

So will the Barachan site, the one that's like 4-chan, will that be the place where we upload doujins and stuff from now on?  Or can it have it's own space here?

Doujins should be posted on the imageboard from now on, yes.

If we're moving the doujins feature to the imageboard, can we at least get some thread tagging features for it? Preferably at the very least have the ability to tag each thread with [Artist] or [Author] and [Name], that way we can find something without having to look through a giant wall of randomly sorted images.

That would be tricky because every change you make to the imageboard affects the imageboard as a whole, not just a specific section.
So in the end I could technically implement "Author" and "Name" tags, but there's no way of forcing people to actually fill in those tags without forcing ALL boards to fill in those tags, and that would screw over many threads that's of mixed content or simply just a discussion thread.

Not to mention that such a change would be a MAJOR change to how the board works.
It would require many days of downtime, maybe even weeks. And there would be no guarantee of stability nor functionality, as the original code is very sparsely documented and full of hacks, which might result in long-term issues such as lost images or a corrupt database.