Air Force Housing   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Home > Okinawa
Welcome to Okinawa Housing

Kadena AB Family HousingThe Housing Management Office (HMO) is ready to support you in the transition to your new home and community. Use the resources provided to become familiar with the housing options and support services available to you.

When you arrive on Okinawa, you must visit the HMO. The Air Force HMO manages Military Family Housing (MFH) for all service members assigned to Okinawa. This visit is necessary to obtain housing, verify your eligibility for Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA), and receive counseling and guidance before entering into any written lease or rental/sales contract for housing. All unaccompanied service members are provided dorm or billeting assignment by their respective branches of service.

tabContact Information 
Housing Management Office
Phone  011-81-734-0582
 DSN (315) 634-0582
 DSN (315) 634-0583
Fax  DSN (315) 632-0311
 Email the Housing Office
Address  718 CES/CEH
 Unit 5261
 APO AP 96368-5261
Hours of Operation  M,T,Th,F - 8:00am - 3:30pm
   W - 8:00am - 12:00pm  
 (Japanese Standard Time)

Unaccompanied Housing
Phone  011-81-734-4016
 DSN (315) 634-4016
Fax  DSN (315) 632-0311
Address  UNIT 5261 
 APO AP 96368
Hours of
 M-F - 7:30am - 4:30pm 
(Japanese Standard Time)  

Current Local Time

tabDisclaimer for External Links 
The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Air Force or the Department of Defense of the external Web Site, or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Services/Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the Unites States Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the purpose of the Web site.
tabHousing Options at Okinawa 
Government Housing Unaccompanied Housing Housing in the Local Community

Click here to see a complete list of housing units, or select from the slideshow below. 
tabGovernment Housing 
For many families, living in government housing provides easy access to a wealth of community services and amenities such as schools, youth programs, Commissary/Exhange, and food services. This is especially true in overseas locations where you will find yourself dependent on the support facilities and services on the installation much more than those in the U.S. Living within government housing provides a safe and secure place to reside and provides a mentoring and supportive environment for families.

Government housing is provided to military members and DOD Civilians who meet the appropriate criteria.

This includes:
- Members on an accompanied tour with command sponsored dependents authorized to reside with them
- Military-Married-to-Military couples assigned to same or adjacent base and reside jointly
- Designated Key and Essential DOD Civilian with a transportation agreement, on an accompanied tour with command sponsored dependent
- Other eligible DOD Civilians on excess inventory basis only

Contact the Housing Management Office (HMO) if you have any questions about the housing eligibility criteria at this location.

DOD Housing Office
We offer government housing in 7 different locations:
- Kadena AB
- Camp Courtney
- Camp Kinser 
- Camp Lester
- Camp McTureous
- Camp Foster
- Camp Shields

Effective 1 Aug 2009, all inbound accompanied military personnel are required to reside on base. Civilians will be assigned on an excess inventory basis only. Newly-assigned military members will be given a Family Housing Overview during the Newcomers briefing.

There are more than 8,300 on-base housing units, located on seven bases and camps throughout the island of Okinawa. Camps Courtney and McTureous comprise 12 percent of the housing inventory. Camp Kinser makes up another 12 percent. Camp Foster and Camp Lester has 28 percent, and Kadena Air Base has 48 percent of the inventory, which incorporates the Camp Shields and Chibana Housing areas.

Military Family Housing on Okinawa has a "Live Where You Work Policy," which means that every effort is made to offer members a unit closest to their duty stations. The DoD standard for commute time between home and work is 60 minutes or less.

Housing amenities include Stove, dishwasher, refrigerator, washer and dryer. The Furnishing Management Office will also provide an array of furniture items (beds, sofa, table, chairs, etc) until household goods arrive.

Okinawa has a Joint Service Pet Policy for the ownership and control of pets in all Military Family Housing (MFH) areas. Certain dog breeds are prohibited in all MFH (i.e, Pit Bull/Bull Terrier, Doberman Pinscher, Rottweiler, Chow, Canid-Wolf Hybrids, etc). Exotic animals such as, but not limited to, reptiles, rodents (other than hamsters and guinea pigs), ferrets, hedgehogs, skunks, rats, raccoons, squirrels, pot bellied pigs, monkeys, arachnids, or any farm animals are not permitted in government housing.

All pet owners must ensure their dogs and cats are properly registered with the Base Veterinary Facility (VTF) within three days (72 hours) of arrival. All MFH residents will be required to complete the Pet Registration Form prior to assignment to MFH. Two domestic pets per household, defined as a cat, dog or a combination, are allowed in single dwelling units, duplexes, multiplex units and towers. In tower buildings, cats are allowed on all floors; however, dogs are only allowed on the first and second floors. For more information regarding the Pet Policy, please refer to the link provided under Featured Documents. Before making arrangements to bring a pet to Okinawa, you are strongly encouraged to contact the Housing Office at least 30 days prior to arrival to ensure pet friendly housing is available. Having a pet does not guarantee you placement in a particular housing unit. Placement is based on availability and the member's entitlement. The non-availability of pet friendly housing is not a justification to turn down a housing offer.

Applying for Government Housing

If you desire to live in government housing, please submit an advance application for assignment (DD Form 1746) and the Sex Offender dissclosure and Acknowledgement (AF Form 4422) through the HMO at your losing installation with a complete copy of your PCS orders. The effective date of the application is the date you depart your prior installation (including members with TDY enroute) or the date ordered to active duty.

Applications can also be submitted upon arrival during your first visit to the HMO. HMO staff will be able to assist in the completion of the application and will review PCS orders and housing options with you. For walk-in applications, as long as you apply for government housing within 30 days of arrival, you will be placed on the waiting list effective the date you departed from your previous installation. After 30 days, the application date will be the date of the walk-in.

All incoming personnel must report to the HMO within 2-3 days of arrival on island. Housing In-processing Session is held Monday-Friday at 0830 local time (JST).

Please be sure your application identifies and includes supporting documentation for an impending promotion or gain of dependents so that you can be placed on the appropriate waiting list.

Community Amenities
- Jogging Trails
- Playgrounds
- Base Swimming Pool 
- Golf Courses
- Picnic/Barbeque Gazebos
- Skate Park

Personal Property Insurance
You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

School Information
Click Here to visit the DoDDS Pacific Okinawa District.

 Inside AF Housing

ima cornerSearch

tabOkinawa Resources
tabFrequently Asked Questions
Where can I find an application for housing?

What housing allowances am I eligible for?

Where will my children go to school at my new location?

How do I begin out-processing from housing?

What should I do to start planning my move to an overseas location?

Do I have to live in the dorms if I'm a permanent party unaccompanied Airman?

Will I get my own bedroom and bathroom if I live in Unaccompanied Housing?

I'm moving into Unaccompanied Housing and have a lot of household goods. What should I ship and what should I put into storage?

Can my significant other or guests stay with me in my dorm room?

What is housing privatization and how does it affect me?

How do I pay rent in privatized housing?

What happens when government housing becomes privatized while I am living there?

Does rent in privatized housing include utilities?

Who is eligible to live in privatized housing?

See All FAQs

Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    Sexual Assault Awareness & Prevention   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508