Food/Product Issues & Recalls

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Hazel Lucy

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Wed Apr 22, '09 4:30am PST 
Here are important issues you need to read about and tell your friends and loved ones:

Discrepancy Between Minimum and Maximum Allowable Amounts of Pet Food Ingredients is Making Pets Sick
AAFCO regulations state for an adult maintenance cat food the minimum requirement of zinc is 75 mg; maximum allowance of zinc is 2000 mg (adult dog food minimum 120 mg; maximum 1000 mg)

NUTRO Pet Food Test Results
What a difference an international border makes! The European Union sets a maximum of 250 ppm zinc in all animal foods, with a recommended maximum of 150 ppm (mg/kg)

To file a complaint with the FDA, locate your regional office by checking this list: FDA's Consumer Complaint Coordinators

EPA Investigating Flea and Tick Control Products for Pets
Please check the EPA list for the product(s) you may be using for flea control.

Other Pet Food Problems:

NUTRO Pulls Greenies Dental Chews from Supermarkets

Nature's Variety Pet Food - Product Withdrawal

FDA Pet Food Problems

Evanger's Pet Food Problems

IAMS Food Problems

Canidae New Formulation creating difficulties for pets

Pet Food - Don't Be Fooled (Catster group)

Edited by author Wed Jun 17, '09 1:52pm PST

Thomas - brave- angel&hearts-; ;

Mild-mannered- ninja.

Purred: Thu Apr 23, '09 9:21pm PST 
Thanks fur posting the info about these problem products, HL.

We don't use any of these, but our dog and cat uncles, Toby and Skeeter, do use the Frontline Plus flea and tick control. Grandmom just bought them earlier this week, but hasn't used any of the new doses yet.

Unfortunately, the EPA website doesn't say what to do about these products if you've already bought them - they're just under "increased scrutiny", not an actual recall. Mama is going to advise Grandmom to return them to the vet's office where she purchased them and get Advantage instead - that's what we use, and it's not on the list.

Patrick- (Angel)

Irish Boy

Purred: Thu Apr 23, '09 10:50pm PST 
My Catfamily uses Revolution flea stuffs...I didn't see it on the list. We've been happy with it.
I hope it's ok confused

Meowies,
Patrick

Hazel Lucy

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Mon Jun 15, '09 12:21pm PST 
The Latest Pet Food Problems
I'm thoroughly disgusted.

Nature's Variety Pet Food - Product Withdrawal

FDA on NV's Pet Food Problems

Evanger's Pet Food Problems

IAMS Food Problems

Canidae New Formulation creating difficulties for pets

Freckles- (1993-2011)

My beautiful old- lady!

Purred: Mon Jun 15, '09 12:51pm PST 
Thanks for posting the Evanger's alert about the risk of botulism. I eat that but hadn't seen the alert. So no more Evanger's for us until they fix the problem with their production line.

Minxy- (1987-2008)

Queen of the- Rainbow Bridge

Purred: Mon Jun 15, '09 1:06pm PST 
Muppet's human grandma's cats had problems with a bag of Diamond - Indoor Formula cat food. The bad bag has an expiration date of September o4, 2010. The kibble was darker than the previous bag they had and neither cat would touch it.

Doc

CRF Sucks!

Purred: Mon Jun 15, '09 4:41pm PST 
My Momma is thinking about getting us some flea stuff, but she has never used it before, and with me and my CRF and all these problems with pet products, she would really like other's advise on what to use. We have a new neighbor cat that is hanging around. The other day, during a bad storm, Momma felt bad cause she was out on our porch. Momma put a carrier out there for her to climb in to get away from the wind. She would have let her in the house, but she has fleas. Since she has been hanging out here so much, Momma doesn't want us to get them. So what do you all think? Which products are the best?

LOLA ~ Our- Good Girl,- forever

I came, I- purred, I- conquered...

Purred: Mon Jun 15, '09 5:29pm PST 
Doc, I have no personal experience but my mom just received a newsletter from my vet clinic that talks about parasites. My vet recommends Frontline Plus to prevent fleas and ticks and Heartgard Plus to prevent roundworms, hookworms and heartworms in cats. Your vet probably has a recommendation, too.

I don't quite understand what to make of that list from the EPA (in Hazel Lucy's first post). It says they're investigating all spot-on products:
"In fact, EPA is intensifying its evaluation of all spot-on products and is providing a more comprehensive list of these products."

Does that sound as if they meant it to be a list of all spot-on products?? thinking

Frontline IS included in that list, but I don't think I saw Revolution. It does caution to go by the EPA registration number instead of by the name since products can be sold under different names.

Edited by author Mon Jun 15, '09 5:52pm PST

Freckles- (1993-2011)

My beautiful old- lady!

Purred: Mon Jun 15, '09 6:15pm PST 
We've used Advantage and Frontline at the advice or our vets but one of my sisters Jingo freaks out as soon as either touch her and we think it was Advantage that caused the bald spot on the back of my head. Our vet advised to stop using the flea meds on both of us and keep a close eye on the others in case they have any reactions.

Another couple of things you can try are:

De Flea spray by Natural Chemistry is good for bedding, carpeting etc and kills all phases of fleas from eggs to adults and your mum could use it on the porch to kill any there.

You can get ultrasonic pest repellers that plug into a power outlet. Mum bought a pack of six that covered the whole house after a big flea outbreak a year or so back. We'd already cleared the fleas with the De Flea in the house and Frontline on cats (and mum as she got bitten loads after we got Frontlined!!) but we haven't had a problem since. So we think they work because the vet hasn't found any fleas on anyone since we got them even though 2 of my sisters do go outside. The only issue is if you have pet rodents or spiders etc you can't use these as they can hear the ultrasonic sound. Its fine for people and cats/dogs though.

Hazel Lucy

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Mon Jun 15, '09 7:24pm PST 
Here are some alternative sources for flea control, but I have no experience with them.

EARTH ANIMAL CATALOG

THE DAILY GREEN

ONLY NATURAL PET CATALOG

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6