Kew, History & Heritage Link to TimelineLink to PeopleLink to PlacesLink to Plants
People navigation""

Royalty

George II & Queen Caroline

Frederick, Prince of Wales

Augusta, Princess of Wales

George III & Queen Charlotte

Queen Victoria


Augusta, Princess of Wales

Augusta, Princess of Wales

 

Augusta, Princess of Wales (1719-1772)

Augusta was 17 when she married Frederick. After his death, she lived a retired life, moving between London and Kew. Assisted by Frederick’s friends, Lord Bute and the Reverend Stephen Hales, both well-known botanists, she followed her husband’s plans for the garden, extending it, adding buildings and features. The accounts of the early 1750s show considerable horticultural activity in what was now a 35 acre garden and Horace Walpole later estimated that she spent between £30,000 and £40,000 on Kew’s improvements.

By 1754, 110 acres were enclosed, the lake and mound finished and the “Chinese” and “bell temples” built. In 1757, Lord Bute introduced William Chambers, who became her architect, planning and overseeing the construction of many buildings such as The Orangery, the Great Stove and the Pagoda. In 1759 William Aiton was appointed to manage the Physic Garden. By 1768 the herbaceous collection contained over 2,700 species.

Towards the end of her life Augusta only visited Kew when visiting her son George III. After her death, he and his family moved into the White House and Richmond Lodge was demolished.

Princess Augusta is commemorated by the Princess of Wales Conservatory, opened by Princess Diana on 28th July 1987.

Further information

There are several portraits of Frederick and Augusta on display in the National Portrait Gallery

Back to.....Back to: Royalty

Forward to.....On to: George III

 
Royalty Directors & advisors Landscapers, Architects & Gardeners Botanists Artists