Windows Server 2008 R2 always boots into recovery console
Hello, hoping someone can help. We have a Windows 2008 R2 Server (HP DL380) that will only boot into the recovery console. What is confusing us is all the settings appear to be correct. Here are the steps we've taken to troubleshoot. 1. Verified proper boot order in BIOS and verified the onboard RAID controller sees the boot partition on startup 2. Booted into recover console and using the comand prompt, verified the C: drive is available and has the OS and original files. 3. Ran BCDEDIT /enum all and here is the output (only have a screen shot of the remote recovery console): http://www.newfrontiertechnologies.com/temp/bcdedit_output.jpg I must be doing something silly or overlooking something because from what I can tell the boot order is correct and I don't see any other Boot Loader entries that point to the recovery environment other than the "current" environment, which I assume must be there for any recovery environment to exist.
August 13th, 2010 3:54am

is this a brand new build or a box that has been in production for a while?I hope this information answered your question or was helpful.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 13th, 2010 2:56pm

This server has been in production for a while. This turned out to be a corrupted SCSI driver for the storage array (not the boot disc). A series of troubleshooting steps led us to rebuild the boot loader and that's when the bad driver was revealed. Still scratching my head why I was able to reboot successfully twice before I got stuck in the RE. I was able to simply copy the corrupted driver file into the driver store of the OS and the server came back up normally.
August 13th, 2010 9:19pm

I have similar problem, our windows server 2008 R2 OS installed server always boot into recovery console. Today when i came to office i found server at recovery options console... i tried three methods below but nothing changes... i am looking for assistance... Method 1: =============== 1. Insert the Windows 7 64bit installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 2. Press any key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears. 3. Select a language, time, currency, and a keyboard or input method. Then click Next. 4. Click Repair your computer. 5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click Repair your computer. 7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair. Method 2: =============== 1. Put the Windows Server 2008 R2 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 2. Press any key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears. 3. Select a language, time, currency, and a keyboard or another input method. Then click Next. 4. Click Repair your computer. 5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt. 7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd, and then press ENTER. Method 3: =============== 1. Put the Windows Server 2008 R2 installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears. 3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 4. Click Repair your computer. 5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt. 7. Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR, and then press ENTER. 8. Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT, and then press ENTER. 9. Type Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All, and then press ENTER. Note: In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Server 2008 R2 installation media is located. If you still cannot boot the system, I am afraid that you may focus on retrieving your important files. Meanwhile, please confirm whether PowerPath 5.3 is compatible with Windows Server 2008 R2.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 21st, 2011 2:42am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics