- Subscribe NowLimited Time Offer
Sign Up for the Phoenix Business Journal Afternoon Edition Newsletter
Send this story to a friend
Both entrepreneurial, managerial styles bring success
- Kathleen Davidson
- Contributing Writer
Are you dropping the ball, feeling overwhelmed, or just not having fun anymore?
You may be suffering from moving out of your entrepreneurial comfort zone into the professional management arena, said Peter Burns, director of Strategic Alliances for Grand Canyon University's upcoming School of Entrepreneurial Studies.
A greater percentage of Arizona's population one day could face this "managerial malady," given that Entrepreneur magazine recently ranked Phoenix No. 1 in its top 20 large cities for entrepreneurs.
"Just as businesses and people change, organizational leadership needs to evolve over time," said Joan Koerber-Walker, executive director and chief executive of CorePurpose. "If you were looking for the best person to lead your business today, would it be you?"
Your answer will depend on an honest assessment of your personal strengths and the developmental stage of your business.
It is no secret that entrepreneurial vision is the spark that ignites the startup phase of a business. In addition to the energy and excitement, entrepreneurs also provide the risk-taking dimension required to execute that vision.
However, it often takes experienced professional managers to perpetuate that vision by creating a structure that will take the enterprise to the next level.
Successful companies combine both management styles, according to Jim Rhode, co-chairman of SmartPractice.
"It takes a balance. An entrepreneur acts on gut feelings and is looking for a paradigm shift, whereas a professional manager looks to improve an existing system and wants data from a double-blind study to make decisions," Rhode said.
If you are commenting using a Facebook account, your profile information may be displayed with your comment depending on your privacy settings. By leaving the 'Post to Facebook' box selected, your comment will be published to your Facebook profile in addition to the space below.
- Most popular
- Phoenix Business Journal staffers to appear on 'Kitchen Nightmares'
- Arizona's Top 50 high schools by SAT score for 2014
- $37 million midrise condo project headed for downtown Scottsdale
- Zillow: Nearly half of Phoenix-area homes for sale are unaffordable
- Michael Manning's very personal memories of Charles Keating
- NFL Pro Bowl coming to University of Phoenix Stadium
- Fulton Homes goes huge in new Gilbert subdivision
- Our tech reporter gets behind the wheel of the Tesla S
- Turmoil surrounds Thunderbird school after demise of Laureate deal
- Arizona's Top high schools by SAT score for 2014 (Nos. 51-100)
- Executive Assistant to CEO AZ Sourcing LLC | Scottsdale, AZ
- Multi Media Specialist Phoenix Business Journal | Phoenix, AZ
- Project/Construction Manager AZ Sourcing LLC | Scottsdale, AZ
- Designated Broker AZ Sourcing LLC | Scottsdale, AZ
- Outbound Sales/ Appointment Setters Ultimate Staffing Services | Tempe, AZ