HEADQUARTERS AND HEADQUARTERS COMPANY,
81st Brigade Combat Team

Constituted 18 July 1917 in the National Guard as Headquarters 41st Division (to be organized with troops from the western United States and the District of Columbia).

Organized 22 February 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey.

Reorganized and Federally recognized 3 January 1930 at Portland, Oregon.

Inducted into Federal service 16 September 1940 at Portland, Oregon.

Reorganized and redesignated 17 February 1942 as Headquarters 41st Infantry Division.

Reorganized and Federally recognized in part 26 February 1947 at Portland, Oregon and in part 8 March 1948 at Seattle Washington (Oregon part – hereafter separate lineage)

Headquarters Company 41st Infantry Division (Washington part) organized and Federally recognized 14 November 1947 at Seattle; consolidated 15 April 1959 with the 41st Military Police Company (organized and Federally recognized 19 February 1948 at Seattle) and consolidated unit designated as Headquarters Company, 41st Infantry Division (Washington part); consolidated 1 March 1963 with Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 41st Infantry Division Artillery (Washington part) (See ANNEX 1), and consolidated unit designated as Headquarters Company, 41st Infantry Division (Washington part).

Headquarters and Headquarters Company 41st Infantry Division (Washington part,), reorganized and redesignated 1 January 1968 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 81st Infantry Brigade (Headquarters Company 81st Infantry Brigade, concurrently consolidated with Headquarters Company 41st Supply and Transport Battalion (See ANNEX 4) and consolidated unit designated as Headquarters Company 81st Infantry Brigade.  Redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 81st Armor Brigade (Separate), in August of 2000.

ANNEX 1

Constituted 18 May 1927 in the Washington National Guard as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery. 66th Field Artillery Brigade, and assigned to the 41st Division (later redesignated as the 41st Infantry Division)

Headquarters organized and Federally recognized 29 March 1929 at Seattle Headquarters Battery organized and Federally recognized 2 April 1936 at Seattle.

Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 66th Field Artillery Brigade inducted into Federal service 10 September 1940 at Seattle.

Recognized and redesignated 17 February 1942 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 41st Division Artillery.

Inactivated 31 December 1945

Reorganized and Federally recognized in part 9 March 1948 at Seattle and in part at Portland, Oregon (Portland part, hereafter separate lineage).

ANNEX 2

Organized and Federally recognized 13 October 1947 in the Washington National Guard at Seattle as Headquarters Battery, 205th Antiaircraft Artillery Group

Consolidated 15 April 1959 with the 110th Antiaircraft Artillery Detachment (organized and Federally recognized 3 October 1950 at Seattle as Battery A, 565th Field Artillery Battalion) and consolidated unit converted and redesignated as the 41st Quartermaster Company, an element of the 41st Infantry Division.

Reorganized and redesignated 1 March 1963 as Headquarters Company. 41st Supply and Transport Battalion an element of the 41st Infantry Division.

ANNEX 3

Activated 15 June 1942 in the Washington National Guard while in Federal service at Camp Haan California, as Battery I, 205th Coast Artillery.

Reorganized and redesignated 10 September 1943 as Battery A, 240th Antiaircraft Artillery Searchlight Battalion.

Inactivated 5 September 1945 at Fort Bliss, Texas.

Reorganized and Federally recognized 28 June 1948 at Kirkland, as Battery A, 240th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion.

Location changed 5 April 1955 to Houghton.

Reorganized and redesignated 2 January 1958 as Battery A. 240th Missile Battalion.

Reorganized and redesignated 15 April 1959 as Battery A. 3d Missile Battalion, 205th Artillery: location concurrently changed to O’Brien.

Location changed 15 April 1960 to Midway.

Converted and redesignated 1 March 1963 as Company A, 241st Signal Battalion.

ANNEX 4

Organized in September 1917 in the National Guard at Camp Greene North Carolina as the 116th Sanitary Train. 41st Division.

Demobilized in May 1919 at Camp Dodge, Iowa.

Reconstituted 7 December 1920 in the National Guard of Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington as the 116th Medical Regiment and assigned to the 41st Infantry Division (later redesignated as the 41st Infantry Division); Headquarters organized and Federally recognized 10 June 1937 at Seattle.

Inducted into Federal service 16 September 1940 at home stations.

Reorganized and redesignated 17 February 1942 as the 116th Medical Battalion.

Inactivated 31 December 1945 in the Philippine Islands.

Reorganized and Federally recognized 15 September 1948 in the Washington Army National Guard with Headquarters at Seattle.

Headquarters and Company A consolidated 1 January 1968 with Headquarters and Headquarters Company (part), 41st Infantry Division, and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters Company 81st Infantry Brigade (remainder of 116th Medical Battalion – hereafter separate lineage).

HOME STATION: Seattle


CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT

World War I

Aisne-Marne
Oise-Aisne
Meuse-Argonne
Lorraine 1918
Champagne 1918

World War II

New Guinea
Papau
Luzon (with arrowhead)
Southern Philippines

DECORATIONS

Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered 17 October 1944 to 4 July 1945.