Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
[unofficial] Frog Swarms (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: [unofficial] Frog Swarms
[unofficial] Frog Swarms 2 Years, 8 Months ago
Once this idea popped up in the "What would You like to see in our next army book" thread, and at least for me it seemed to be the funniest and most creative one presented there. So I tried to form it into unofficial rules, just for fun for anyone to try out

Frog Swarm

Fried frog legs is are one of the better-known delicacies in Bretonnian cuisine and in the southern Empire it is quite common to call travelling Bretonnian knights „frog-eaters“ (although only foolish man would dare to say it in their face). Royal laws forbid peasants from eating frogs within the Realm of Bretonnia, so it understandable, that starving peasants levied into Bretonnian armies are more than eager to capture any frog they can before and after the battles to have a bite of „knightly food“. As the hungry peasants move into frog-inhabited area the frogs tend to migrate from there to escape total annihillation by consumption. For this reason it is not uncommon sight to see swarms of frogs move as a avangarde of Bretonnian army. Wierd as it is, the sheer mass of these desperate amphibians can poise a real threat to enemy units in their way.

Special

Frog swarm* (35 pts per base)

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
2d6 2 0 1 2 5 1 4 10

Unit size: 1-6 bases

Weapons: tiny teeth and pure mass of frogs (hand weapon)

Special rules: swarm, random movement, water strider

*Your army must include at least one unit with Peasant Duty to wield Frog Swarms

Alternative models:

http://www.blacktreedesign.com/northamerica/product.php?productid=23542

Have fun
Last Edit: 2011/11/28 14:49 By Rafael de Bois et Guilbert.
I beg to remain your most humble and obedient servant,

Rafael de Bois et Guilbert

P.S. If You really have nothing better to do, You can check out my humble painting blog: http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=87&func=view&id=52312&catid=25
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Artinam (Moderator)
The Order of the Dragon in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline Netherlands flag
Re:[unofficial] Frog Swarms 2 Years, 8 Months ago
Very cool, maybe add something that Damsels or Enchantresses can bind these creatures into service or direct their instincts or something.
Id also give them Swamp or Water Strider.
Long Live the Fighters!
Honneur aux armes, respect aux maitres!
AREA51 (User)
let them be poisening, and i'd suggest one or two peasant chasing the swarms, as a sort of handlers. however,the frogs sort of flee away from the peasants.

And perhaps a spell from the Lore of the Lady that can boost the swarms, as they turn into wannabe princes as per remains in play spell?

AREA51
They're There Their Tire Fire

HKB probabilities // Bretonnian casting charts
Nice idea, I will add the strider

About the damsels - well, I had a thought that perhaps the frogs are afraid of kisses as well, but then thought it a bit too much

P.S. If You really have nothing better to do, You can check out my humble painting blog: http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=87&func=view&id=52312&catid=25
AREA51 wrote:
let them be poisening, and i'd suggest one or two peasant chasing the swarms, as a sort of handlers. however,the frogs sort of flee away from the peasants.

And perhaps a spell from the Lore of the Lady that can boost the swarms, as they turn into wannabe princes as per remains in play spell?

AREA51

Hmm, I thought about poison attacks but thought that then the peasants would not touch them. And I tried to keep them very weak but cheap as well.

On the other hand I love Your handlers idea But rulewise they would not count as swarms then, more like animals with handlers.

Mad Jack (User)
profile icon User Offline
I like the lore idea as suggested, which begs the question.... Why in the world dont we have our own lore?

Add 1 vote to the poison attacks as well, hahaha we would then have our very own version of bat swarms or snotlings
Raf (User)

The Order of the Tactician in silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Online Now United States flag
I do have one comment about the frogs. There are quite a few short stories by GW about the peasants catching frogs for dinner. (I felt they suggested eating frogs was something for the commoner class, rather than for the nobility.
Not counting multi-player games...
Eighth Edition Record:
6W-7L-3D in Tournament Play
16W-4L in Singles Play
(Not playing much anymore...)
hiv0r (User)
profile icon User Offline United Kingdom flag
With that leadership they are better then men at arms in terms of tarpitting, you could reliabily put them on a flank (the restriction of 6 bases may stop this)

WS2 being as good as our men at arms seems a little off. I think they should have 0 attacks and 0 strength etc and instead just have a special attack that would fit more with the fluff of a small amphibion.

Perhaps Noxious Vapours - Each combat phase all units in base contact with the frogs take 1D6 per frog swarm in contact strength 0 posion attacks.

Not sure I love the idea anyway but for a bit of fun we can all chip in
Redduke (User)
Nice idea but
1: frogs are not agrasive unlike snotling, snakes or rats swarms.... Alto poisoness would be understandable.
2: swarms are now skirmishers and die like demons and undeath by loss of combat result. So are not good tarpits. And are not much used.

But it is a great idea for a unit filler.
DiscoKing (User)
The Order of the Purple Brush in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline United Kingdom flag
Re:[unofficial] Frog Swarms 2 Years, 7 Months ago
Great idea for unit filler, I agree! hehe.

However, they aren't a very agressive animal...
Perhaps something to do with warts could be good?

*Once a unit has been hit by a unit of Frog Swarms;
Any weapons held by the unit count as hand weapons for the rest of the game.
Or
-1WS/BS for the rest of the game...
"My Warty hands!"

And as a downside, if the Frogs are in combat with the enemy & a friendly unit;
The same happens to the friendly unit?

I like the idea of a Giant Frog goaded in to battle by Peasants.
With a "Swallow Whole" ability, lol.

Ribbit.
Last Edit: 2011/12/14 21:10 By DiscoKing.
This is my signature.
This is my Twitter.
There is a fairy tale about Giant Frog of the North in Estonian folklore, a creature resembling a dragon a bit. One day I will try to forge it and it´s special powers described in the story into the Warhammer rules and make a big baddy of Bretonnian army (unofficial rules of course)
Last Edit: 2011/12/16 20:26 By Rafael de Bois et Guilbert.

To address the issue of frogs not being particularly aggressive, and the possibility of incorporating poison at the same time, maybe these are swarms of poisonous frogs, not as in their attacks are poisoned, but models in base contact make a toughness test, or suffer a wound and could also get to make an armor save (they do still have to touch you), or it's just a toughness test at T+1, as I feel a toughness test alone would render them over-powered.
The biggest detraction I see is that there may or may not be poisonous frogs in Bretonnia, it isn't exactly Lustria, but there are also non-tropical poisonous frogs, just not quite in the same vein of lethality.

Any opinions on the proposed poison rule?
Peasant's would not want to chase these things around, but they could be people who just happened to have some type of immunity to the poison, or, less-spectacularly, as our peasant's don't deserve any spectacular traits, instead, the frogs could behave in a manner similar to fanatics. They could be herded initially by the peasants, until they reach combat, they then cause a number of toughness tests, maybe d6 (a number that is by no means firm), after which point they "bounce" through the unit they ran in to, at which point the frogs, in a panic, take on a movement of 2d6, guided by the artillery directional dice.
Go to top Post Reply