Little is recorded about the early origins of the community of Belfair. Early information on the region notes the first post office was established in 1880 and that originally the village was called Clifton, as were several other towns in the state. To avoid confusion, it was renamed in 1925 by Mrs. Murray, the postmaster, who submitted the name Belfair from a poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning that she was then reading.

Want To Know More?