Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

[SOLVED] Error loading OS / Missing HDs / Windows failed to start / 0xc000000f

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Error loading OS / Missing HDs / Windows failed to start / 0xc000000f within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys. A few days ago I came home from work to a black screen that said "Error Loading OS".

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys. A few days ago I came home from work to a black screen that said "Error Loading OS". Not sure how this happened, so I restarted it and it came right back to that. Spent a few minutes digging around and found out that my hard drive was not set in the BIOS as a boot drive (although no idea how that changed), so I switched it back and the computer booted fine.

Yesterday, I came home from work and again, I see the black screen that says "Error Loading OS". I restarted, went in the BIOS, and saw that of 4 hard drives in the system, only 1 (non boot) showed up. This is weird. I shut down for a few minutes, booted it back up to the BIOS, and my primary hard drive was listed again. Selected that, and Windows booted up fine.

Was using the computer for about an hour when everything just froze. The mouse still worked and moved, but nothing else at all was working. So I restarted again, and I got to a "Windows failed to start" / 0xc000000f error. Off to the BIOS again, where again, only a few of my 4 hard drives were listed. I shut down, left it for a few minutes, rebooted back, and selected my primary drive again. Then I went ahead and created an image of my primary drive just in case.

This keeps happening and cycling over and over.. computer wont stay on for more than an hour anymore.

I have no idea what this is and could use some help figuring it out. I thought it might be a hard drive failure, or it could be something messed up in my motherboard. I have a 64GB Crucial M4 SSD drive that is less than a year old, along with an ASRock Z68 PRO3 motherboard that was bought at the same time.

Any ideas?

Old 02-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

The c000000f error (File does not exist) is peculiar.

Anyways, If your BIOS is having difficulty enumerating more than one drive, I would venture to put my money on it being the motherboard at fault (unless you're using a drive controller card). The only other exception would be the power supply, in which it is having a difficult time powering the multiple drives. So you'll want to see about replacing the motherboard right now, as it's very evident this could be the cause and that there's absolutely no driver or Windows software that would create this kind of issue.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

Any idea on how to diagnose if it is the motherboard vs the SSD HD ?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

You said you have more than one drive though, yes? If your BIOS (not Windows) is failing to see multiple drives, then you have a drive controller issue, which the drive controller is embedded on the motherboard, therefore signifying that the motherboard itself is buggy.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

The BIOS eventually sees them all, I just have to shut the computer off for a minute instead of just hitting the reset button. The problem is still happening and just happened a few minutes ago. Everything freezes but I can still move the mouse and see the mouse moving. I wonder what that means?
Old 02-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Registered Member

Looks like it was a bug in the Crucial M4 SSD firmware!

Version Compatible Models Download 0309 Crucial m4 2.5-inch (9.5mm) SSD guide download firmware Release Date: 01/13/2012
Change Log:
  • Changes made in version 0009 (m4 can be updated to revision 0309 directly from either revision 0001, 0002, or 0009)
  • Correct a condition where an incorrect response to a SMART counter will cause the m4 drive to become unresponsive after 5184 hours of Power-on time. The drive will recover after a power cycle, however, this failure will repeat once per hour after reaching this point. The condition will allow the end user to successfully update firmware, and poses no risk to user or system data stored on the drive.
This firmware update is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED for drives in the field. Although the failure mode due to the SMART Power On Hours counter poses no risk to saved user data, the failure mode can become repetitive, and pose a nuisance to the end user. If the end user has not yet observed this failure mode, this update is required to prevent it from happening. If you are using a SAS Expander please do not download this Firmware. As soon as we have a Firmware Update that will work in these applications we will release it.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Have you personally confirmed that this has resolved your case?
Old 02-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirGnarus View Post
Have you personally confirmed that this has resolved your case?
Yes, this fixed the problem.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Windows Tech Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Alright, thanks. I will add this for future reference. Marked as solved.