Skip to content

Vehicle registration from 21 July 2014

Vehicle registration in Northern Ireland is now the responsibility of Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in Swansea. If you need to register a vehicle or update registration details you should contact DVLA directly.

Registering a vehicle for the first time

To register a vehicle for the first time you should send your V55 application and supporting documents to:

SA99 1BE.

Your documents will be returned within 14 working days, however, you should allow time for postage. If you have not received a response within this time, you can contact DVLA by telephone on:

  • 0300 790 6802

How do I get a vehicle registration certificate (V5C NI)?

You can get a replacement if your original V5C or V5C(NI) certificate has been lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed or you haven’t received the certificate for your new vehicle.

Apply by phone

You can apply by phone if:

  • you were shown as the registered keeper on the original registration certificate V5C
  • your name, address and vehicle details haven’t changed
  • you can pay the £25 fee by debit or credit card

The telephone number is:

  • 0300 790 6802

Lines are open:

Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 7.00pm
Saturday, 8.00am to 2.00pm

You will receive the replacement V5C within five working days.

How do I change the name and address on a V5C NI?

Indicate the required changes on your V5C. Do not return it to the DVA office in Coleraine. Send it to DVLA in Swansea.

Write your new name and/or address in section 6 of your V5C (you can’t give joint names or Post Office box addresses).

Sign and date the declaration in section eight.

Send the whole V5C to:

SA99 1BA

You’ll get a new V5C free of charge, usually within four weeks but please allow at least six weeks before contacting DVLA.

If your vehicle needs to be taxed in the next four weeks you should take your V5C to a Post Office branch where you will be able to tax your vehicle and change your details at the same time.

You’ll also need to take your original MOT certificate and insurance certificate or cover note. Photocopies are not accepted.

More useful links