Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:*NEW* Mordheim Online Campaign Thread (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 10
TOPIC: Re:*NEW* Mordheim Online Campaign Thread
Re:*NEW* Mordheim Online Campaign Thread 5 Months ago
I will post my warband list later today if possible. I've been working a lot of 14-hour shifts of late, so my free time has been a little limited. My Macbook is in the shop at the moment as well, but I should have it back within the next two days to try and set up BattleChronicler. Any suggestions from anyone on how to do that? Toying with an emulator at the moment. Not a good time to be the RCK I guess.
"The Red Cross Knight was holding the roof of the main keep alone... And he couldn't be beaten. Not by goblin or troll or giant! Not by the dozens or the hundreds! He lasted for over an hour and I began to believe he'd win all on his own.... until they set the dragon against him."
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Ashjwest (User)
profile icon User Offline United Kingdom flag
If it helps I found this on the battle chronicler website.

Other Questions
Mac Compatibility
Battle Chronicler runs on top of the latest version Microsoft's .Net framework, which is a Windows only technology. So there will not be a Mac version.
Some Mac users run a Windows emulation, like Parallels Desktop, or VM Ware and have successfully got Battle Chronicler working that way.

I've had a little play around with virtual box before;

https://www.virtualbox.org

It let's you run a complete operating system alongside your current OS and is Open Source (free). It's a convoluted process however and you'll need to get a copy of Windows (Xp and up). It would be much easier if you can get access to a Windows machine.
Duncoman (User)
IMPORTANT NOTE: TODAY is the last day to post your warbands for contention in this week's game! If you have not sent them to me or, preferably, posted them on the Warband thread by 12pm GMT Tonight, Tuesday the 18th March, they will not be considered for match ups until next week.

(Although I must sound a bit brutal, I will most probably accept extenuating circumstances if you explain them to me)

-------------------------

Red Cross Knight, if you're having trouble getting things ready in time then don't rush it, just come in when you're ready. This campaign starting has happened quite quickly!

I've finally made my decision for my own warband- I'm going to be going with Witch Hunters, so I shall post Peter the Pious' Persuaders up momentarily. I'll also place a run down of rule alterations on the front page of this thread so they're all in one place. If anyone whose email I don't have could pm me them I shall post those up front as well along with links to your warbands so we have a nice single post with everything in.
2014 Bretonnian Resolution Completion: 0/9

The Muster of the Marshal (My Army Journal)

*NEW* Mordheim Online Campaign Sign up Today!
Duncoman (User)
I'm in a bit of a rush today, so although I've got some fluff to post I'll have to wait till later.

For now though, here are Week 1's matchups:

Chapel Guard vs. Beastmen Raiders
Witch Hunters vs. Strigoi

We'll be playing the standard Skirmish scenario.

Week 2 will start next Wednesday, the 26th March, so please let me know if anyone is having trouble finishing their games before then.

Ashjwest (User)
Glad we are getting started Just wanted to discuss a few last minute details;

Duncoman wrote:

We will be using the Exploration Table and rules from the Empire in Flames supplement(i.e. Treasure instead of Wyrdstone, 'Lost' instead of 'Sold to the Pits' ).

I feel obliged to protest to the use of the Empire in Flames exploration table, IMO it's pretty terrible. My first problem with it is the encounters that cause any warband member to go OOA on a d6 roll of 1 or 2 and have to roll for serious injuries. There are a few;

(1 1 1) Orc Encampment; Non greenskins (and potentially greenskins) MAY attack orcs but warband members go OOA on a 1 or 2.

(6 6 6) Empire Patrol; Evil or chaotic bands are attacked and warband members go OOA on a 1 or 2.

(1 1 1 1 1) Large Farm; Evil MAY attack (only go OOA on a 1 this time)

(2 2 2 2 2) Halfling Rangers; Evil or chaotic bands are attacked and warband members go OOA on a 1 or 2.

(Note; choosing not to attack means getting nothing at all... not to mention is very out of character in most cases)

This applies to any members of the warband that didn't go OOA in your actual battle. Now, my arguement is that on average a third of your remaining warband is going to go OOA without protest. It makes no difference whatsoever whether the member going OOA is a hound or a hard as nails, campaign leading, 50+ experience warband leader that everyone is aware of. To see that sort of character die from exploration is just plain criminal! I'm all for there being a chance for heroes to die, but let it be in actual games were players have more sway over how it might happen. The rewards from the above aren't great. They're definitely not worth the associated risks.

In the standard Mordheim exploration table there's two results that can potentially cause "damage" to your warband;

(1 1) Well - Choose one of your Heroes and roll a D6. If the
result is equal to or lower than his Toughness, he
finds one shard of wyrdstone at the bottom of the
well. If he fails, the Hero swallows tainted water
and must miss the next game through sickness. (One chosen hero potentially misses a game... not a big deal and note it is the worst place to find (1 1))

(1 1 1 1 1 1) The Pit -If you wish, you can send one of your Heroes to
search for any wyrdstone hidden here. Roll a D6.
On a roll of 1 the Hero is devoured by the
guardians of the Pit and never seen again. On a roll
of 2 or more he returns with D6+1 shards of
wyrdstone. (One hero of your choice MAY be sent, and has a 1/6 chance of getting eaten. Great if you want to risk Bob the one legged, one eyed accident prone youngblood. Plus the reward is pretty good, an average of 4.5 wyrdstone shards!)

My second grumble is to do with curses...

(4 4 4 4) Gingerbread House - The warband may take some of the
gingerbread to re-supply. If they do this they
are considered to be two sizes lower when
selling back Treasures (ie. a warband of 10-12
members is considered to be 4-6 members),
and any hirelings only charge the warband
half their normal upkeep. However, there is a
chance that the old hag who lives in the
house will see this and cast a powerful curse
at the warband. Roll a D6 – on a 1-2, the hag
has cursed the warband. Until the curse is
removed, members of the warband must
re-roll all successful hits in close combat or
shooting.

(This is just crazy, way to ruin someones campaign... this is supposed to be fun right?)

(5 5 5 5 5) Faerie Ring

An Undead or Chaotic warband may
destroy the faerie ring and receive D6
Experience Points that may be divided among
their Heroes. However, such wanton
destruction carries a price – the faeries will
place a powerful curse on the warband. From
now on until the curse is lifted, whenever any
members of the warband are taken out of
action, roll twice for Serious Injuries for each
warrior and apply the lower result.

(d6 experience in exchange for instagib warband members!?)

(4 4 4 4 4 4) Chaos Icon

Choose a Hero to place the amulet around his
neck (yes, one of them has to!). That Hero is
affected by the rules for frenzy from now on
and this frenzy is not removed if the Hero is
knocked down or stunned. At the start of each
game roll a D6 for the Hero – on a roll of a 1,
the Hero has heard the call of the Dark Gods
working through the amulet and heads north
for the Chaos Wastes (remove him from the
warband roster). This amulet carries a
powerful curse, which must be lifted for the
Hero to remove it from his neck (see earlier
for removing curses).

(A hero that can die (effectively) on a roll of 1 every single game...)

Third point, (sorry for going on) there doesn't seem to be much balance in the results... There are certain rolls that can earn you nothing depending on which warband you play;

(5 5 5 5 5 5) Holy Man
If the warband is not Undead or Chaotic in
nature, the old man reveals himself as a priest
of Sigmar and offers to help the warband on
their next adventure. He can either remove
any curses afflicting the warband, or bestow
upon them a powerful blessing – after the
next battle, any injured warband members
roll twice for Serious Injuries and the player
may choose which result affects the warrior.

(So... nothing if you ARE undead or chaos (two of the current players)Plus it's a six of a kind roll)

(6 6 6 6 6 6) Familiar

If the warband includes a spell-caster, they
may take the familiar as an item of equipment.
The familiar acts as a power focus and
whispers secrets into the spell-caster’s ears as
he sleeps, increasing his power greatly. The
spell-caster gains an additional spell and a +1
to the roll when casting his spells (this is
cumulative to the Sorcery skill) while he
retains the familiar. A warband without a
spell-caster does not interest the familiar, and
it quickly hops away as soon as it determines
this.

(So... nothing if you don't have a spell-caster (ironically another two warbands in the campaign, dwarves and witch hunters (prayer caster)) This is the best result you can get too!)

In terms of balancing it's quite harsh on evil warbands, both in the differing results and this;

Note also that there may be
additional consequences for attacking
in any of the following encounters:
Empire Huntsmen, Empire Patrol, Halfling
Rangers, Holy Man, Large Farm,
Lost Children, Merchants, Mordheim
Refugees, Peddler, Pilgrims, Priests
of Sigmar, Small Farm. If a warband
attacks one of those encounters,
roll a D6: on a roll of 1-3 the
warband has been careless and left
witnesses! If the warband rolls that
Exploration roll again, treat the
encounter as 1 1 Abandoned
Farmhouse (word has got out about
the warband and they are avoided
like the plague!).

(Basically ruins half the table for evil warbands and is a pain in the backside to remember)

Four, there are no artifacts. Which is a bit boring really.

Sorry for going on, but I must say I much prefer the original table. There are a number of mechanics in place to help people get better exploration results (rerolls, +/- 1 modifiers etc) so it makes sense to try and get as high as you can, not to have to avoid results that can cripple your warband. Exploration results should be a good thing.

Duncoman wrote:

The exploration dice rolled at the end of the game will be equal to the amount of Heroes you started the game with (minus any who die post-game). Additional dice for skills/winning the game etc. are calculated as normal, but you can still only roll a maximum of 6 dice.

You can roll as many dice as you have, but can only count 6 of them.

Exploration Procedure
1. Roll 1D6 for each of your Heroes who survived
the battle and one extra dice if you won, plus any
extra dice allowed by skills or equipment. Note,
however, that you must pick a maximum of six
dice out of all the dice you roll, even if you are
allowed to roll seven dice or more.
Duncoman (User)
Okay, point made RE: the Empire in Flames tables - to be honest I chose it partly because it is one of the few wilderness-based tables that sort of made sense for our setting and partly because I wanted to reduce the number of pieces of paper you have to look at regarding a game.

I was thinking about possibly using the Sylvania table before I decided on Empire in Flames (although that was a bit too dark). Thoughts?

As for the dice, 'doh' on my behalf. I knew what I meant as I wrote it, but the words that went onto the page were not that. I shall fix that now.

Ashjwest (User)
Sorry if that sounded a bit harsh (and went on for ages). I Totally agree on minimizing the amount of places we need to look for rules. I've looked at the Sylvania table, it looks ok, maybe a little more suited to the Sylvania setting. The way I see it we have a few options;

1, We just go with The Empire in Flames table and I stop grumbing :/

2, We can change that table a little to make it a little better.

3, We go with the standard Mordheim table or the Sylvania table and accept the fact that they aren't best suited to the setting.

4, We create a new table, taking the bits we like from each, specifically for this setting. We could add in results that could add to the story or bonus's to the last game. I'd be happy to have a go at creating a draft table for us if you like? It could be posted on here so as to prevent people having to look it up.
Duncoman (User)
Ashjwest wrote:
Sorry if that sounded a bit harsh (and went on for ages).

Ha ha, no no, you had your reasons and I'm glad you explained them because they are reasonable.

3, We go with the standard Mordheim table or the Sylvania table and accept the fact that they aren't best suited to the setting.

We'll do that this week- Standard Mordheim exploration table.

4, We create a new table, taking the bits we like from each, specifically for this setting. We could add in results that could add to the story or bonus's to the last game. I'd be happy to have a go at creating a draft table for us if you like? It could be posted on here so as to prevent people having to look it up.

If you're happy giving that a go then go for it! Email or PM me it so I can stick it up on the front page of this thread.

Ashjwest (User)
Re:*NEW* Mordheim Online Campaign Thread 4 Months, 4 Weeks ago
Quick question; Does the +1 armour save for welding a shield and hand weapon apply to mounted warriors as well as on foot? I've always played that it applies on foot only. The (unofficial) Border Town Burning rules state;

shields Combat defence: Combat defence: Combat defence: Combat defence: An unmounted warrior armed with a single-handed weapon (sword, spear, hammer, etc.) and a shield gets an additional +1 bonus on his armour saving roll in hand-to-hand combat. Note that this applies to unmounted warriors in hand-to-hand combat only, since they can combine their shield and weapon to create a flexible defence against enemy blows in close combat
Duncoman (User)
Bear in mind in this campaign shields give +2AS when used in close combat and +1 against shooting.

With this in mind, I think I'll say mounted individuals (including Centigors...) gain a +1AS from shooting when equipped with a shield. However, unlike foot models, they only gain a +1AS in close combat.

This keeps mounted models from becoming turtles too quickly. It also means that with 15gc+mount you have a 4+ save against both shooting and in close combat. Compared to a foot model with similar equipment, and you have a better save against shooting and the same save in close combat. I think that nicely translates to IRL, when a bloke running with a shield would likely be less aware of the fall of arrows etc. as he picks his way over obstacles, whereas a rider would have a better vantage point and not have to concentrate as hard on moving as the mount would do that for him. As for centigors... well, they're all drunks. And so are less aware. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Ackermanus (User)
profile icon User Offline
Completely agree. This is how we were playing it last campaign I think, so I simply assumed that's how we were still playing it.

Speaking of things from last campaign, does a promoted henchman still get to pick any skill (but if he picks a skill not usually available to the warband, he can only take one, not two skill trees)?
Duncoman (User)
Ah, yes Ackermanus, that seems sensible, I'll add that to the front page.

Ashjwest (User)
Re:*NEW* Mordheim Online Campaign Thread 4 Months, 3 Weeks ago
Game 1 - Beastmen Vs Chapel Guard

Game one ended with a victory for the Beastmen! (2CP, playing + winning)

Ackermanus's 5 strong Chapel Guard (1CP, playing) put up a valiant defence (turn coat foot knights not withstanding) but in the end couldn't stand against the furry tide...

The first turns consisted of the two warbands squaring off along a forest path.

As the beasts approached a chaotic whisper in the darkest language began to seep into the foot knights (FK) mind. Flargar One-Eyed successfully cast Lure of Chaos on the poor knight, and against all odds he failed to regain control in his next turn. As if 11 vs 5 wasn't enough...

Outraged the knights charged into the fray. Sir Semiran, the questing knight, managed to whack the drunken centigor Togal over the head taking him OOA in one hit. However the greener errants failed do any damage to their foes, with one falling to Gornaks' mace and the other barely parrying a bite from a warhound.

Seeing the centigor fall enraged the remaining Beastmen and they fell upon the knights with force. Gornak, now filled with blood lust, charged into Sir Semiran, inflicting a crushing blow that managed to break through his armour. Rakharg and Khalgar, the chieftain and bestigor, descended on the remaining knight stunning him and taking him OOA. The fair damsel Thessela then fell to the attacks of another gor Gark.

Last Edit: 2014/03/23 11:12 By Ashjwest.
Duncoman (User)
I presume that was you and Ackermanus' match? Seems like a terrible rout for the Chapel Guard...

Ashjwest (User)
Yeah, I posted the images first to be sure they worked. I've edited it to include a description now.
Go to top Post Reply