Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:*NEW* Mordheim Online Campaign Thread (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 10
TOPIC: Re:*NEW* Mordheim Online Campaign Thread
vladamex (User)

profile icon User Offline
Re:*NEW* Mordheim Online Campaign Thread 4 Months, 2 Weeks ago
Thanks!

This is what I had in mind for the Shadow Warriors list - basically a copy/paste recommended starter army from one of the documents in the vast Mordheimer library linked earlier in this thread.

Shadow Master (Sword, Bow) - 90 points
Shadow Weaver (Bow) - 65 points
Shadow Walker (Sword, Bow) - 65 points
HEROES TOTAL - 350 points

Shadow Warrior (Bow) - 45 points
Shadow Warrior (Dagger) - 35 points
HENCHMENT TOTAL - 150 points

WARBAND TOTAL: 9 models, 500 points

Shadow Warriors strike me as a finesse/advanced warband to play (expensive/fragile, small in numbers, need to play ninja/avoidance style to maximize the strengths) so I'm sure I'll be making plenty of mistakes until (if ever) I learn to use them properly Still, if the group feels this is too strong/OTT, we can apply some comp or have me switch to a different race.

Cheers!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Ashjwest (User)
profile icon User Offline United Kingdom flag
Shadow warriors are fine as far as I'm concerned. They aren't that crazy to start with and only become REALLY beardy if you take certain skill combinations.

I didn't manage to get round to taking my go on both games yesterday, I've been busy sorting out my boys room. I'm also on a course until Wednesday. Just to let people know I haven't abandoned the games, and will take my turns on Wednesday night or Thursday.
Last Edit: 2014/03/31 12:26 By Ashjwest.
spearhead4 (User)

I'm fine with high elves too. They are OP, but I don't think they're worse than blood dragons, which we already have.

I do want to say though, that if you're going with HE because you're worried about another warnings play style being complicated, I wouldn't worry about that. Barring a very few war bands, they're all pretty easy to learn, and for me at least, part of the fun is trying out bands I've never played before.

Now, if you're going with HE mainly because you like HE, then go for it! I'll just have to figure out a way to kill you
vladamex (User)

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm looking at HE first and foremost because I like the faction, and also because I have some experience with them in WFB (not sure how big of a plus that is, but still).

I'm also a fan of the "Explorers of Mystery" goal - I see my high elves as a covert expedition that was sent to investigate the rumors of the strange, ancient device of mysterious powers:

The Council of Loremasters was very explicit -> this artifact that suddenly appeared in Brettonia was a threat. Its powers were so great that they could be felt as far as Ulthuan. What was the underlying source of this power was a matter of much dispute, with each of the Loremasters offering a different theory. However, all of them agreed that the artifact needs to be found and retrieved to Ulthuan, before the foul and evil forces can get involved.

For this delicate task the Elven Court has chosen Ilindor the Wise (Shadow Weaver), one of the Ulthuan's famous scholars who spent many years around the old world exploring ancient artifacts and mysterious locations. He was tasked to find and study the artifact and make sure its powers are harnessed for the benefit of good ( "your orders are simple - either secure it, or destroy it" ). To aid him on his task, Elven King has assembled a small party of experienced warriors that will make sure Ilindor is safe and well protected. And who better for the covert job behind the enemy lines than the Shadow Warriors, veterans of the long wars vs. Druchii in Nagarythe?

To lead the expedition like this one was not an easy task - Elven King trusted it to Elendil the Swift (Shadow Master), a captain that had served for years under Alith Anar and had seen many victories vs. the hated Druchii traitors. His approach to warfare was to avoid confronting the enemy in a straight, open fight. Being a master of stealth and hiding, he attacked with his group suddenly and decisively at a point where enemy was not expecting, overwhelming the defenses within seconds and disappearing with his men back into shadows they came from. This earned his group the name "Shadow Blades" and a huge bounty on their heads by the Druchii leaders.

Elendil gathered his three battle-proven Shadow Blades lieutenants (Shadow Walkers), veterans of long wars vs. DE in Nagarythe, and asked them to quickly round up a couple of their trusted hands for this infiltration mission. The party will be small in numbers, but it needs to be able to move swiftly and silently, find the mysterious device before everyone else, and return to Ulthuan without raising attention.

The task will not be an easy one, and the party of Shadow Blades is small, but Elendil liked their chances. After all, if the scores of Druchii in Nagarythe couldn't collect the bounty on their heads, neither will the mercenaries and bandits of the Old World.

How's this for an intro/fluff for the warband?

Looking forward to the first game!
Duncoman (User)
That's great vladamex, could you stick it in the Fluff Thread? Just keeps everything easily accessible instead of having to wonder later on which of 20+ pagesof this topic that particular piece was on!

Similarly, if you could put your warband on the Warband Thread using the guidelines there then you'll be all official and sorted.

My game this week is finished (report to come shortly), so I could give you a catch-up game with a group warband if you'd like?
2014 Bretonnian Resolution Completion: 0/9

The Muster of the Marshal (My Army Journal)

*NEW* Mordheim Online Campaign Sign up Today!
Ackermanus (User)
Hey everyone. Been quite busy this week, but things are starting to look up so I will be able to continue with the campaign. That said, I was unable to play this (last) session with Red Cross Knight.

I sent him an email saying I would get a map done, but he never answered. Not sure if he was waiting for me to actually, you know, get the game started, or if he left the campaign: if the former, then naturally I will forfeit the match.

If the latter, then I could play against Vlademex's elves: my warband is pretty tame, likely making it an ideal first match.
Duncoman (User)
Ackermanus wrote:
Hey everyone. Been quite busy this week, but things are starting to look up so I will be able to continue with the campaign. That said, I was unable to play this (last) session with Red Cross Knight.

I sent him an email saying I would get a map done, but he never answered. Not sure if he was waiting for me to actually, you know, get the game started, or if he left the campaign: if the former, then naturally I will forfeit the match.

If the latter, then I could play against Vlademex's elves: my warband is pretty tame, likely making it an ideal first match.

Red Cross Knight has been experiencing some computer woes, but I thought he'd sorted them. Will withdraw him from campaign rotation for now, until I hear otherwise.

It'd be perfect if you and vlademex could game then, will leave that to you two- although I do need vlademex's email to put on the front page, thinking about it.

LazyPapa (User)
As long as it not more OP than skaven, I'm OK with it!

Looking forward to starting, Ashjwest, hope I haven't ruined it for me in the deployment allready!

By the way, are you using Skype or something when playing "online"? That way it will be possible with some feedback if I have question regarding rules, and perhaps some hints...
Last Edit: 2014/04/01 21:20 By LazyPapa.
Duncoman (User)
LazyPapa wrote:
As long as it not more OP than skven, I'm OK with it!

Looking forward to starting, Ashjwest, hope I haven't ruined it for me in the deployment allready!

By the way, are you using Skype or something when playing "online"? That way it will be possible with some feedback if I have question regarding rules, and perhaps some hints...

The way we usually do it is via our emails and the dicelog, which gives you the opportunity to IM along with your rolls. All will become clear when you start playing...

vladamex (User)

Hi all,

I've posted the fluff for my warband in the Fluff thread, and the roster in the Warbands thread. My e-mail is This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it - feel free to add that to the starting page.

One question - at what point do I roll for the random spell for my wizard?

Re: my first game, I'd prefer a intro game with the group warband so I can figure out the rules. If that's not possible or practical, I guess I'll try to figure out things along the way. Duncoman - let me know

Another thing - has anyone used UniversalBattle.com for Mordheim games? Its a very interesting experience IMO - provides the terrain, units, dice-rolling and a chat window - enough even for a WFB game (I use it a lot - I'm vladamex there as well), so I guess it could work very well for Mordheim too.

Cheers!
Last Edit: 2014/04/01 21:17 By vladamex.
klinktastic (User)

Another newbie looking to join. I know I missed the weekly dead-line but that's ok because I really need to familiarize myself with the rules and such. I'm interested in an Orc and Goblin army if that's ok with everyone. From the research I've done, per the rules, the Troll is unkillable. Only house rules regarding fire damage could result in the Troll dying. Tempted to take the troll even though it's 200 gold plus 15 per match, but it seem fun. Any house rules on regeneration and death I should know about when plotting my warband?
Duncoman (User)
klinktastic wrote:
Another newbie looking to join. I know I missed the weekly dead-line but that's ok because I really need to familiarize myself with the rules and such. I'm interested in an Orc and Goblin army if that's ok with everyone. From the research I've done, per the rules, the Troll is unkillable. Only house rules regarding fire damage could result in the Troll dying. Tempted to take the troll even though it's 200 gold plus 15 per match, but it seem fun. Any house rules on regeneration and death I should know about when plotting my warband?

AH! I'm glad you brought the dates to my attention, realised I hadn't altered them despite us now playing over two weeks! Have done that now, so, to clarify, next week, week three, starts on the 9th April.

I've never had any problems with O+G warbands- whilst the troll can be quite powerful, so can a lot of things, and you definitely pay for the privilege! As always though, I'll throw it open to the floor to put in their two cents.

klinktastic (User)

Cool. I'm thinking of a pretty basic list:

Boss w/ Sword, Shield, dagger (free) = 95 gc
Shaman w/ Sword, Bow, Dagger (free) = 60 gc
2 Big 'Uns w/ Ax, Shield, Dagger (free) = 50x2 = 100 gc
Troll = 200 pts
2 Gobbos w/ short bows = 40 gc

5 gold left over

Alternatively, there's the orc horde approach.
Ashjwest (User)

I've posted the fluff for my warband in the Fluff thread, and the roster in the Warbands thread. My e-mail is This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it - feel free to add that to the starting page.

Nice work! I really need to get around to posting some fluff for my warband...

vladamex wrote:

One question - at what point do I roll for the random spell for my wizard?

You can roll it now if you want to (just send the roll, through dicelog, to Duncoman). Alternatively you can roll for it once the dicelog for your first game is set up.

vladamex wrote:

Another thing - has anyone used UniversalBattle.com for Mordheim games? Its a very interesting experience IMO - provides the terrain, units, dice-rolling and a chat window - enough even for a WFB game (I use it a lot - I'm vladamex there as well), so I guess it could work very well for Mordheim too.

I've just had a quick look at it in guest mode so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but here are some essential features that Battle Chronicler (BC) has over Universal Battle;

1, BC can tell you the identity of each model and details about it with one click (after setting view item details to on).

2, You can easily change between already played turns to look back at what happened (good for adding up xp earned)

3, You can send information about the turn alongside the xml file when you email your opponent, therefore instantly seeing which turn the info relates to.

4, BC is completely free.

OK UB has dice and a chat function, but dicelog has more functionality and I find emails better for keeping track of the games.

klinktastic wrote:

Welcome! It's always nice to see a healthy proportion of greenskins!

I like trolls, they are a well written addition. Yes they are immortal (for the most part) and hard to take OOA in the first place but they have added in some caveats that counter balance this. The foremost is their stupidity and a whopping leadership of 4... This means that, to be effective, your going to want your boss close to him. This stops you using the troll as a tar pit while your heavies go elsewhere. The 15 gc upkeep per game and 200 gc hire cost also helps to balance the troll out.

klinktastic wrote:

Boss w/ Sword, Shield, dagger (free) = 95 gc
Shaman w/ Sword, Bow, Dagger (free) = 60 gc
2 Big 'Uns w/ Ax, Shield, Dagger (free) = 50x2 = 100 gc
Troll = 200 pts
2 Gobbos w/ short bows = 40 gc

Looks good, I wouldn't give the Gobbos bows though, as your going to want to be able to sacrifice them if things start to go really bad. An extra dagger works, maybe change the Shamans or Bosses sword to an axe and then you can give another bow to your boss (he has BS4, and bows are more mobile than crossbows if your going to be offensive, which with a troll you are...)

A question from me about CP;

Duncoman wrote:

+1 CP for having your leader take an enemy hero OOA (in close combat), who was not knocked down or stunned.
+1 CP for taking an enemy leader OOA (in close combat), who was not knocked down or stunned.

If your leader takes the enemy leader OOA in CC do you get +2CP, since you do satisfy both of the above criteria?
Last Edit: 2014/04/03 20:29 By Ashjwest.
klinktastic (User)

Thanks for the tips. For the gobbos, they only count as .5 for terms of routing. Not that this is an immediate issue, but if 3 of them died, would that round to 2 or down to 1?

Also, have we contemplated multi-player scenarios?
Last Edit: 2014/04/03 23:01 By klinktastic.
Go to top Post Reply