Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:*NEW* Mordheim Online Campaign Thread (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 10
TOPIC: Re:*NEW* Mordheim Online Campaign Thread
Hellkite (User)
profile icon User Offline
Re:*NEW* Mordheim Online Campaign Thread 2 Months, 3 Weeks ago
Cheers Klink- see the point and have adjusted my Warband completely. Now, who wants to arrange a game?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
LordNecro8000 (User)

Klink and I finished off a crazy match from this weekend! We played a Defend the Village scenario and it was a bloodbath, easily over 10 models OOA'ed in the game. We're reviewing the turns to make sure we account who OOA'ed what so we can do our postgame and advancements. Will post up an after action report in a bit once we finish our stuff.
fatbat (User)

klinktastic wrote:
Welcome Hellkite! There are a few newer players, as well as "group warbands" that are usually don't have too many games under their belts to give you a fair go.

Edit: Hellkite, just a general piece of advise. Maximize the heroes you can take to start. Once a game is over, you get to roll 1d6 per hero. The more exploration dice you roll, the more loot you find, the more you can build up your warband. While your warband would start off well, it would be handicapped as you progressed. Maybe scale back on some of the nice to haves, like handguns and pistols, and go for more heroes. You can always upgrade equipment later, but you cannot get back missed exp on heroes.

yes you are right - even when your heroes are taken OOA they have a great chance of still being alive - occasionally they are walking wounded and I know of only one hero who has rolled a 'Dead' and has had to be replaced (to keep up the search for loot!) ... Useless Edward the mutant shot in turn one never to pester luckless villagers again... sigh*
fatbat (User)

Fluff Bonus:

To Serve Man have not utilised our fluff bonus yet and I have been considering ... not increasing the WB by an extra man however I would like to run this by you...

the mutants and Magister can have a go at gaining a gift from the shadowlord - and could potentially choose a mutation.

I suggest as a fluff bonus, instead.. when heroes roll for skills and could gain a skill on a 2-5 + 10-12 they would use the mordheimer.com 'Power in the Stones' random mutations instead.

the table carries some debilitating traits - some purely for colour and about 2/3 are useful. However it is random so you cannot choose another set of arms/sting/claws ... the tradeoff being that the posessed and any any hero can use this.

currently you can choose to take a gift from the shadowlord instead of rolling an advancement. this fluff award slims the chances of being able to gain a mutation as well as making it random but opens it up to posessed and LGT henchmen

I recon a posessed with acid spit and a BS of 0 would be on the cards...

What do people think?

Ta! Fatbat

(by the way Lazy Papa and I should be finishing the 'Prince' ...tonight hopefully so will be available for the next game 6)
klinktastic (User)

While interesting, the Power in the Stones table is to be used when a model is overexposed to warp stones and thus causing a mutation. This means that a model would have to fail it's warpstone exposure check (16.64%) to roll on this Using Stones chart with a 66% chance to become a chaos spawn, loss an attribute, or miss a game, all of which are not good results. The model would then only have a 33% chance at teis point to roll on the Random Mutations table. So given the fact that the other results are so bad, this table is rather good. When you look through the results of the table, there are 4 results that are bad (loss of attribute or stupidity), 4 average results (no effect or balanced result), and the rest of the results are quite good (standard mutation and other quite good ones). That makes it 11% bad results, 11% average result, or a 78% good result. This is actually a pretty favorable table, not quite 33% bad results.

Considering that mutations typically cost gold (good ones costing 40-50 gold) and skills come from advancements this proposal is blending two different sets of resources that are built into the game. It would effectively be creating an advancement for gold mechanic, of which the expected value of the outcome is still a very good trade-off. Additionally, skills tend to be less valuable than mutations, as skills tend to be worse than Characteristic advancements. Further, some chaos warbands have the option to use a skill to even access mutations but they have to pay for the mutations' gold cost on top of it.

Fortunately, we have a house rule, while not listed on the front page, that once your model has 3 skills, the model can opt to re-roll it's advancement to prevent over-skilled models as it is well documented that skills tend to be less valuable than most stats. This prevents a model from getting saddled with too many skills and never really developing.

However, if your goal is to get more mutations, perhaps a mechanic of gold reduction (example -1d6 gold on mutations just like the mercenary reward )would be more in line with other intro fluff rewards? I'm sure if there were some interesting mutations on the list, you could run it past the GMs to an appropriate price the mutations for you to take if you so elected.

All in all, I have some serious reservations. It is quite a bit more powerful than the mechanics described in the intro fluff reward. The most comparable would be the one that Ash suggested, which is an optional rule for Chaos Beastmen. While this is also an optional rule, it is being pulled out of the context in which it was created and therefore I have serious doubts about it's balance since it would be being used outside of it's intended purpose.
First of all, welcome Hellkite!! Always nice to see more people join.

And here is my two cents:

Fatbat - I agreed with klinktastic. The mutations in the table are quite powerful if you can acquire it without any real circumstance. Here is my suggestion if you really want to use the table: If a hero roll a skill advancement, he get a random mutation from the table (reroll any "bad" result). The warband must use 1 wyrdstone and pay the Alchemists 20 GC. Each hero can only get one mutation from the wyrdstone.

LordNecro - I think your suggestions are too powerful as well. With our house rule (Lucky Charm is a one time item), Blessing of the Lady give you extra 50 GC each battle (60 GC if you have 6 heroes). Your idea is fine if we don't have that house rule. Curse of the Lady is totally fine. Also having 2 different blessing that you can choose for different warband (Blessing of the Lady for CC warband, and Curse of the Lady for shooting warband) are too much as well. Maybe if you pass a Leadership test at the start of the game, you can choose which blessing to use. Else it will determine by dice roll (1-2 Blessing, 3-4 Curse, 5-6 nothing or something like that).

Just some of my thought, ignore it if you think it is BS
Hellkite (User)
Anyone fancy a catchup game against my new Averland warband before the game 7 matchups?

Hellkite
klinktastic (User)

lastsurvivor00 wrote:
LordNecro - I think your suggestions are too powerful as well. With our house rule (Lucky Charm is a one time item), Blessing of the Lady give you extra 50 GC each battle (60 GC if you have 6 heroes). Your idea is fine if we don't have that house rule. Curse of the Lady is totally fine. Also having 2 different blessing that you can choose for different warband (Blessing of the Lady for CC warband, and Curse of the Lady for shooting warband) are too much as well. Maybe if you pass a Leadership test at the start of the game, you can choose which blessing to use. Else it will determine by dice roll (1-2 Blessing, 3-4 Curse, 5-6 nothing or something like that).

Nice analysis lastsurvivor. I tend to agree, the free lucky charm is rather powerful. I'm not sure how you feel about the significant penalty already in place to use this mechanic. Currently, to "pray" and get the benefit, the opponent then has the choice of turn. This is actually a pretty stiff penalty as going first gives a huge advantage in all scenarios, but especially objective based scenarios since you can get to the objective first. Is the trade off worth it, maybe, but it would be situational. The choice would be do you want your units to be more survivable at the cost of reducing your win chance rather significantly.

I do like the concept of the leadership check to pick either the blessing or curse, but given the tremendous penalty already in place, maybe something like 1-3 Blessing and 4-6 Curse if you fail the leadership check is still probably a good way to mitigate down the remaining benefit with yet a further check to reduce it's effectiveness down one more notch.
klinktastic (User)

To wrap up game 5, Gorzhog's Green Stampede (GGS) squared off against the Bretonnian Chapel Guards (BCG) in a Defend the Village scenario. It was 13 Orcs and Goblins vs 14 Chapel Guards and 14 Villagers, so the odds were tilted in the favor of the Chapel Guards slightly. If you review the scenario details, you'll see the peasants are quite weak and fear everything, but still bodies are bodies (cannon fodder). A blood bath ensued, with both sides taking heavy casualties, as the GGS sufffered 6 OOAs and the BCG suffered 11 (6 peasants and 5 BCG units). In the end, with the GGS on the ropes with 2 heroes and their troll down, the BCG couldn't hold on for the win, failing their route test.

There were some epic battles in this game, with the mounted Gorzhog and his warboar taking out both Sir Joreth (BCG leader) and their Damsel to continue his Wench-Wrecka' title. On the BCG side, Sir Donahue, the mounted knight dealt two wounds to the Troll and OOA'ed 3 henchmen in his only rolling 6's streak this game (or so it seemed). The most inept fighting occurred between a goblin and squire which was a knockdown fest, but no one wanted to kill the other for over 7 combat rounds.

All it in all it was a great battle and a super fun scenario with a lot of carnage. Although, we ended up playing it a bit wrong as we treated the peasants as a separate warband that could route on it's own as opposed to are of the defending warband. This lead to the peasants routing earlier, with the defender's warband still fighting on. It ended up being a better way to play it and a reasonable way for a weaker warband to pair up against a stronger one.
LordNecro8000 (User)

@fluff reward - The modification of requiring a leadership roll to select the blessing/curse seems pretty reasonable.

@Defend the Village - Super fun game. Pretty closely rivaled the lost prince scenario. It good to finally see my warband actually kick some butt!. I had only one OOA in the previous 2 games. It was one of those games that, if you lose, you don't feel to bad about it because you gave as much as you got. Hopefully the post game is kind to me though.
fatbat (User)

Re:*NEW* Mordheim Online Campaign Thread 2 Months, 2 Weeks ago
Lazy Papa and I will be finishing our 'Prince' bloodfest off this evening.. x9 rats and x7 posessed OOA so far - down to the last rats/men/ standing and a x3set of rout rolls completed.. once done we will be updating rosters and counting the dead...
Better be worth it..

I will have a further ponder on fluff rewards - keep it simple as it is just a swift bonus not a gamechanger.

Laters! (Hopefully with not bad news for To Serve Man. we shall see!)
Last Edit: 2014/05/28 18:15 By fatbat.
vladamex (User)

Hellkite wrote:
Anyone fancy a catchup game against my new Averland warband before the game 7 matchups?

Hellkite

Hey Hellkite - welcome to the campaign. You probably meant "game 6 matchups" (likely starting this week), right?

I can give you an intro game with the Sisters of Sigmar group warband. Sisters have had just one game and suffered heavy losses, so they are about at (or slightly below) the power of a starting warband - likely a good matchup for the intro game

Let me know what you think
Hellkite (User)
Hey Hellkite - welcome to the campaign. You probably meant "game 6 matchups" (likely starting this week), right?

I can give you an intro game with the Sisters of Sigmar group warband. Sisters have had just one game and suffered heavy losses, so they are about at (or slightly below) the power of a starting warband - likely a good matchup for the intro game

Let me know what you think

Sounds great- my email is This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it . Not 100% sure on how these online games work- I assume you'll be inviting me to a dicelog and sending along a Battle Chronicler file? Anyways, feel free to send stuff to me. Looking forwards to the game

And yeah... I meant game 6- my bad... :O
klinktastic (User)

Gorzhog's Green Stampede is pretty much finished getting updated. I just have to spend my gold. My warband is tweaking out randomly duplicating some stuff but it's not showing that when I modify it.
Last Edit: 2014/05/28 22:20 By klinktastic.
Duncoman (User)
profile icon User Offline United Kingdom flag
Hi there all, and first an apology for being relatively incommunicado recently - leading my double life of GM and work being mad has not gone well recently, but I'm back for now, and will be posting our new game information this evening.

Hellkite, welcome to the campaign! The Averlanders are a really good warband, and I'm glad you've found a game already!

I'll apologise to anyone who's been waiting on something to be sorted for them GM-wise, it would be worth re-emailing me or posting your query/anything I've missed, just so I'm certain I haven't missed anything in my over-long absence! It feels like I've been gone for an age...
Last Edit: 2014/05/28 22:28 By Duncoman.
2014 Bretonnian Resolution Completion: 0/9

The Muster of the Marshal (My Army Journal)

*NEW* Mordheim Online Campaign Sign up Today!
Go to top Post Reply