D E C banner
D E C banner


The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has added a link to a translation service developed by Microsoft Inc., entitled Bing Translator, as a convenience to visitors to the DEC website who speak languages other than English.

Additional information can be found at DEC's Language Assistance Page.

Contact Us

This page contains or links to contact information for all of DEC's offices. For general information, or if you are not sure which program or office you need to contact, you can reach us at:

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
625 Broadway
Albany, New York 12233-0001

DEC transitioned to a new email system recently. Email sent to all existing email addresses should be forwarded to the new system, but there may be delays. If you have an urgent need and are having difficulty contacting someone via email, there are contact phone numbers at the bottom of the right column on most of our webpages. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Email the webmaster for general information about the department and website inquiries.

In Case Of Emergency

  • If you are lost in the woods: Contact the Forest Rangers. If you are in the Adirondacks, call 518-891-0235, otherwise call 518-408-5850.
  • If you see a forest fire: Contact the Forest Rangers. If you are in the Adirondacks call 518-891-0235, otherwise call 518-408-5850.

DEC Program and Regional Contact Directories

(Individual employee phone numbers and email addresses are not published on this website.)

  • DEC Central Office Program Directory - Contacts and descriptions for DEC programs in Albany
  • DEC Regional Office Directory - DEC's local offices throughout the state can answer questions about local businesses, recreation areas, rules affecting your property, and can investigate reports of local environmental damage
  • For information on public meetings, or if you are having trouble finding a person to help you, you can contact DEC's Bureau of Public Outreach at public@dec.ny.gov or 518-402-8044

Reporting an Environmental Problem

  • To report environmental violations in progress, call toll free 1-844-DEC-ECOs (1-844-332-3267). Dispatchers will ensure a timely response from an Environmental Conservation Officer who patrols your area. Non-urgent violations may also be reported by email.
  • To report a chemical or oil spill - call the DEC 24 Hour Spill Hotline 1-800-457-7362 (within NY State) or (518) 457-7362 (outside NY State)
  • To report other environmental problems, contact the DEC regional office that serves that county

Contacting DEC to Obtain Documents

Important 800 numbers

  • Camping Reservations 1-800-456-CAMP (1-800-456-2267) Teletype (TTY): 1-800-304-1265
    or visit the Reserve America web site.
  • NYS Well Driller Program 1-877-472-2619
  • Sportsman Education 1-888- HuntEd2 (1-888-486-8332) Class and certificate information, 24-hour voice mail
  • The New York State Conservationist magazine 1-800-678-6399 Subscriptions 8:30 A.M.-5 P.M.
  • Inspector General Hotline 1-800-367-4448 24-hour voice mail
  • Ozone Information Hotline 1-800-535-1345 From mid-May to mid-September, twenty-four-hour service
  • Poachers and Polluters 1-844-DEC-ECOS (1-844-332-3267)
  • Radon Testing 1-800-458-1158, ext. 27556 8:30 A.M.- 4:45 P.M.
  • National Response Center for chemical or oil spills: 1-800-424-8802

More about Contact Us:

  • Important Links
  • Links Leaving DEC's Website
  • Contact for this Page
  • Office of Communication Services
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-4500
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions