A spray base is one of the quicket and easiest of all the bases! Imagine all the money (and exposure to chemicals) you’d save yourself by making all of your sprays yourself! Not only do essential oil sprays smell amazing, they offer aromatherapeutic benefit! This recipe is great for making sprays for linens, air fresheners, hair, face, body, sunscreen, bugspray, owies, hand sanitizer and more. The possibilities are endless!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 4oz Distilled Water – It is very important that you used distilled water in order to maintain freshness.
- 2tsp Witch Hazel or Vodka – Either of these will act to disperse the essential oils into the water better. I like to use homemade vanilla extract to add a warm vanilla fragrance when making room or linen sprays, but plain vodka is just fine too. For personal use sprays (like hair or body spray) I use witch hazel, as the vodka can be drying and harsh on the skin.
- 20 drops of Essential Oils – The possibilities are endless. See suggestions below.
- 4 oz Glass Spray Bottle – My very favorite spray bottles are from Rail19. They are handmade, wonderful quality and you get great customer service as well. They have lots of sizes and styles to choose from! The bottle pictured here is 8 oz, so you’d want to double this recipe to fill it.
*Make your own vanilla extract by soaking vanilla beans in vodka for 6 weeks or more. Then just remove the vanilla beans and strain through a cheesecloth into a glass container
HOW TO MAKE IT:
Grab your spray bottle, drop in desired essential oils, add in the witch hazel or vodka and fill with water. Just give it a gentle shake before use as the essential oils will tend to float to the top. That is only natural and a good sign that you don’t have unwanted ingredients in your spray!
ESSENTIAL OIL SUGGESTIONS:
- SWEET DREAMS LINEN SPRAY: 6 drops Peace & Calming, 6 drops tangerine, 4 drops lavender and 4 drops cedarwood in a base of homemade vanilla extract (or plain vodka).
- MEYER LEMON ROOM SPRAY: 10 drops lemon, 4 drops lemon myrtle, 3 drops orange, 3 drops lemongrass in a base of homemade vanilla extract (or plain vodka).
- COOLING SUNSCREEN: 10 drops carrot seed, 5 drops lavender and 5 drops peppermint in a base of witch hazel.
- BUG SPRAY: 10 drops Purification, 5 drops citronella, 3 drops peppermint, 2 drops cedarwood in a witch hazel base.
- BOO BOO SPRAY: 10 drops Melrose, 4 drops copaiba, 3 drops lavender and 3 drops frankincense in a witch hazel base.
- HEALTHY HAIR SPRITZER: see recipe here
- HAND SANITIZER: 15 drops Thieves and 5 drops of Purification in a base of homemade vanilla extract (or plain vodka). If you have dry skin, you may opt for witch hazel instead.
- HAPPY SKIN TONER: 10 drops lavender and 10 drops Melrose in a base of witch hazel. This would be good for the face, as well as rashes or irritated skin.