View Full Version : Hey! (new skater needs stopping advice)

farmergurl
December 24th, 2006, 08:26 PM
OK...well just thought I'd drop a line sense I'm new and all....but I'm a beginner at skating...just the type that get up to a really high speed but doesn't know how to stop bumps into the wall falls over and almost dies...lol.....anyway...IF you could.....PLEASE tell me how you stop...or send me somewhere on the forum and let me ask someone else..haha....anyway..Tootles....
Ps...if you didn't know...my ID is called farmergurl..and I am A farmers daughter..Not a fake..Haha....:biggrin:

hungryrollerblader
December 24th, 2006, 08:30 PM
go to the search button and look up "stopping techniques"

and welcome to the forum!

farmergurl
December 25th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Thank you very much ...I will.

Kennedy
January 3rd, 2007, 01:49 AM
A lot of people like to turn a skate sideways and drag the wheels.

This can lead to flat spotting the wheels. I have adopted the snow plow technique I learned skiing. Basically, you spread your legs apart and point your toes inward a little casuing both skates to skid. It takes a lot of muscle and practice to do it decently. And I ended up on my butt more than a few times trying to learn it.

hungryrollerblader
January 4th, 2007, 04:43 AM
A lot of people like to turn a skate sideways and drag the wheels.

This can lead to flat spotting the wheels. I have adopted the snow plow technique I learned skiing. Basically, you spread your legs apart and point your toes inward a little casuing both skates to skid. It takes a lot of muscle and practice to do it decently. And I ended up on my butt more than a few times trying to learn it.

that works too.

but remember how the ski instructor says "never cross your skis?"

...same principle applies.

and yes, it has happened to me

fablemaker2
January 4th, 2007, 11:21 AM
With the snow plow, there is still flat spotting - any kind of skidding will cause that.

When I t-stop, I bend my front knee quite a bit, so my braking wheels are dragging more on the sides.

Kennedy
January 7th, 2007, 08:25 PM
With the snow plow, there is still flat spotting - any kind of skidding will cause that.

When I t-stop, I bend my front knee quite a bit, so my braking wheels are dragging more on the sides.

99.9% of my skating is indoor. Flat spotting while plowing is tough to do. I should have clarified that I am an indoor skater. Outdoor skating is a bit rougher on wheels.