View Full Version : Dry Lube For Your Bearings?

Jibberish18
December 28th, 2006, 10:13 AM
So recently I discovered the wonder of dry lube after I was looking for something to lubricate all the locks in my house with. I also needed it for my car's ignition cylinder which should only be lubed with dry-lube for it's ability to resist dust. After a while I started using this stuff to lube everything. From the hinges on the doors to the locks to my bike chain. Now I wonder, how would this product do for bearings? Pros? Quickly dried into a white powdery substance that makes everything nice and smooth. Resists dust and dirt. Comes equipped with Teflon. Cons? Needs re-application about every 3 months and I've heard it washes away in wet conditions.

I'm going to try and lube my girls Abec5 bearings with this stuff come this spring. But until then, anyone have any opinions?

LezSk8
December 28th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Did I miss the product name in your post? I've used Finish Line dry lube with teflon for years with good results. It doesn't attract and hold dust and sand the way oil based products do and it last for months for my kind of skating (fitness) on trails. Make sure you shake it up really good before applying as the teflon seems to settle to the bottom of the bottle rather quickly. I find it readily available at bike shops and they have both wet (oil based?) and dry (the liquid carrier quickly evaporates leaving just the teflon) so you have a choice. I don't know that it would be better for top speed racing, but for a good roll and long life it works for me.

LezSk8! :)

Jibberish18
December 28th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Did I miss the product name in your post?Actually I didn't mention any product names, so yeah you're still sane. :) I think the stuff I use is called "Liquid Wrench". I've also heard some of the best stuff you can get is called "TriFlon". I've never seen dry lube anywhere else other than hardware stores but then again I never really knew what it was either. If it lasts for a while like you say then that's a good thing!

Code Monkey
March 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Being an experimenter at heart I just can't help myself trying various things and then testing them. It is one of the things I love about skating. I have done tested various bearings and lubes and I think that the best is the Finish Line dry teflon lube. I have no idea why it is not promoted for skate bearing use. Perhaps under load for an extended period of time it causes more bearing wear, I am currently testing that idea. As far as wet weather I think I can say I with a lot of confidence that the above mentioned lube has done the best of all. Now all my steel bearings are used for dry weather and for wet weather I use a ceramic bearing I got from Adam's Inline which has proven to be excellent.

The way I have used the lube is to first put it on even if the bearings are new with speed cream it does not matter. Go skate about a hundred miles on the bearings then teflon lube again. I used to take bearings apart and clean them but I really don't think that is the best way for me because I have yet to have a bearing perform as well as when I didn't take it apart. Just my idea but I think the manufactures do such a precise job and I can't, so when I touch them I just mess up their work. I now use the Bont bearing cleaner with mineral spirits, (no need to take bearings apart and it works beyond excellent) dry with hair dryer then soak in the teflon lube. Do shake the bottle a lot before applying. No little drops, I soak the bearings in the stuff. I leave for about five or ten minutes then take them out of solution, hand spin, leave out to dry on their own. Hand spin again and assemble into the wheels. Put wheels into the frames and hand spin some more, then go skate. I have done this for awhile in all kinds of skating conditions and it is now the only way I will treat my bearings. I love to hand spin the wheels on my skates and have them spin along time.

chuckboucher
March 18th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I know of people who swear by Finish Line dry lube. I'm yet to try it myself. I use Tri-Flow synthetic grease in my bearings. It takes a few skating sessions to really get in there, but it works great.

I think the next time I clean a set of bearings, I'm going to try some of the Finish Line though.

inlina
March 18th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Hmm, every now and then someone tries dry lube for skate bearings, however dry lube isn't really suited to skate bearings. It's applications are typically limited to journal or plain bearings that don't have constant rotation on either side of the bearing, such as lock barrels and the pins in bike chains (other plain bearings such as the crank shaft bearings in your car use engine oil as a wet lube becasue of the constant rotation and high temperatures). A dry lube will hold a good lubricating film without the need for constant rotation. Dry lubes are also good in areas where the bearing is highly exposed to the elements, which is not the case in a skate, so long as you have your bearing shields pointing out.

Skate bearings are rolling element bearings, and they are designed to run with a liquid film front in the load zone whilst the bearing is rotating. The technical term is elasto-hydrodynamic lubrication, and it carries a high load through constant rotation better and more efficiently than most dry lubes. It also provides better protection and works in higher temperature zones that dry lubes don't offer. This is an issues with the constant rotation of a skate bearing as opposed to types of plain bearing dry lubes are designed to work with.

Basically, a wet lube is more suited to ball bearings and is more efficient. Anecdotal evidence suggests that dry lube can work in a ball bearing, but I believe the cons far outweigh the pros.

I hope I haven't bored you too much.

CG

Code Monkey
March 19th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Thanks a lot Inlina! I am not having problems with the dry lube but it bothers me to use it in that Bones, BSB, and others all have a gel type oil or oil. Since I know they know much more about bearings and their bearings at that and want them to perform at optimum for skaters to stay in business it has bothered me to use the dry lube. But I will experiment and they seem to do very well with the dry lube but then I am not testing under really controlled conditions. I also don't get up to speed like real speed skaters, I am definitely in the fitness category trying my best to get to the speed skater category. I have wondered why all of skate bearing makers and people who sell skates and their supplies ( and skate a lot, race ) all go with the oil or gel. But no one explained why. So thanks so much. Well back to the Bones speed cream for me. Do you have any favorites?

inlina
March 19th, 2007, 01:22 AM
I like Tri-flow 'Superior lubricant' for a lower viscosity in my hockey and speed skates and Finish Line 'Wet lubricant' for a higher viscosity in my aggro and FSK skates.

http://www.triflowlubricants.com
http://www.finishlineusa.com

Because they are both aimed at bike riders, they are easy to get at many bike shops and you usually get more for less than you would with the skate bearing 'specific' ones. I know a few speed skaters that swear by Tri-flow.

CG

chuckboucher
March 19th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the info inlina. I currently use the Tri-Flow synthetic grease in my bearings. After the initial break-in, they spin quite well and resist moisture and the lube lasts quite a long time between lubrications.

inlina
March 19th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Grease is OK too....it is really just an oil in a thickening agent. Most 'gels' are greases that have a different formulation to their thickener. They put them in a tube or syringe and they seem different to getting grease out of a tub.

I've never really run a full grease, but I have run a gel. I find the oils last and are easier to use...and I grew up on a steady diet of two drops of oil in my skates!!!

CG

artisan555
March 19th, 2007, 04:04 AM
exactly what kind of oil do you use? machine oil? i really appreciate your knowledge re. lubricants. i'm ready to take my bearing down for a through cleaning, so your information is timely! i was just using machine grease, but i see the advantage of oil, especially when it seems like it takes a little while for the grease to work into the bearings properly.

maunakea
March 19th, 2007, 08:02 AM
I think by "oil" inlina means the lubes he cited, FL wet and Tri-Flow. I clean my bearings ultrasonically, then soak them in Tri-Flow ultrasonically. I don't remove the bearing shields.

Nashbar (www.nashbar.com) has Tri-Flow wet and grease on sale at present:

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?category=103&subcategory=1121&storetype=&init=y&pagename=

Tri-Flow™ Superior Lubricant w/Teflon® 6oz
A great multi-use formula, the light viscosity allows deep penetr ... more TF-SB6 Tri Flow $8.95
now $3.95
55% Off!

EDIT: Note that the above is an aerosol formulation. Nashbar is currently out of stock of the plain liquid.

The liquid version:
Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant - 2 oz. squeeze
Reg: $4.99 (Performancebike.com)
Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant provides twice the lubricating power of most competitive brands.

Tri-Flow® Synthetic Grease
This high performance lube from Tri-Flow is waterproof, non-stain ... more YY-TFSG Tri Flow $3.25
now $0.99
69% Off!

For a low viscosity lube, I prefer ProLink. It doesn't last as long as Tri-Flow, but is picks up much less dirt than Tri-Flow or Finish Line.

chuckboucher
March 19th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Wow, that's a great deal on some good stuff. I'm definitely taking advantage of that.

brikkee
March 19th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Hmm, every now and then someone tries dry lube for skate bearings, however dry lube isn't really suited to skate bearings. It's applications are typically limited to journal or plain bearings that don't have constant rotation on either side of the bearing, such as lock barrels and the pins in bike chains (other plain bearings such as the crank shaft bearings in your car use engine oil as a wet lube becasue of the constant rotation and high temperatures). A dry lube will hold a good lubricating film without the need for constant rotation. Dry lubes are also good in areas where the bearing is highly exposed to the elements, which is not the case in a skate, so long as you have your bearing shields pointing out.

Skate bearings are rolling element bearings, and they are designed to run with a liquid film front in the load zone whilst the bearing is rotating. The technical term is elasto-hydrodynamic lubrication, and it carries a high load through constant rotation better and more efficiently than most dry lubes. It also provides better protection and works in higher temperature zones that dry lubes don't offer. This is an issues with the constant rotation of a skate bearing as opposed to types of plain bearing dry lubes are designed to work with.

Basically, a wet lube is more suited to ball bearings and is more efficient. Anecdotal evidence suggests that dry lube can work in a ball bearing, but I believe the cons far outweigh the pros.

I hope I haven't bored you too much.

CG

yes good to know and thank you i was just taking out the shield soking them in gas spining them and runing them dry they seem to spin twice as fast but not lasting as long.

rwsz
March 19th, 2007, 03:43 PM
yes good to know and thank you i was just taking out the shield soking them in gas spining them and runing them dry they seem to spin twice as fast but not lasting as long.

Ricky i dont like gas as a cleaner, use a paint thinner or naptha for cleaning, doesnt leave as much residue as gas.

BWI-Sheldon
March 19th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Miniral spirits is a much safer way to clean bearing. It is not as flammable and does not have as much health related issues as gasoline or paint thinners. Don't use them.

chuckboucher
March 19th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Miniral spirits is a much safer way to clean bearing. It is not as flammable and does not have as much health related issues as gasoline or paint thinners. Don't use them.Can you use mineral spirits in an ultrasonic cleaner? Or will it dissolve plastic?

maunakea
March 19th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Chuck, I use mineral spirits in my Walmart $30 ultrasonic cleaner without problem (two plastic bins, cleaning bin and rinse bin. I use both bins for cleaning ... don't think I'll be rinsing with water).

chuckboucher
March 19th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Chuck, I use mineral spirits in my Walmart $30 ultrasonic cleaner without problem (two plastic bins, cleaning bin and rinse bin. I use both bins for cleaning ... don't think I'll be rinsing with water).I only ask, because I used gas WAY back when to clean bearings, I left them overnight in a thin plastic container. In the morning, the container was mush.

I haven't used my ultrasonic cleaner yet, so I was wondering what others were using in theirs. I was thinking about heated citrus cleaner.

maunakea
March 19th, 2007, 06:45 PM
See my edit about the nashbar item above. You need the liquid, not the aerosol, formulation for an ultrasonic bath of your bearings. Tri-flow liquid is periodically on sale on all the major online bike parts vendors (nashar, performancebike, airbomb, bikepartsusa, bikeparts, etc.).

Citrus degreaser? Nashbar "makes" a great one. NB-CD. $9 for 32 oz.

brikkee
March 19th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Miniral spirits is a much safer way to clean bearing. It is not as flammable and does not have as much health related issues as gasoline or paint thinners. Don't use them.

very true, but i have found it all way to be around with the lawn mower as a kid:D

mvirtue
March 19th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I haven't used my ultrasonic cleaner yet, so I was wondering what others were using in theirs. I was thinking about heated citrus cleaner.

Heated Simple Green

Code Monkey
March 19th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Ok Inlina,

I went out at lunch and got the Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant w/teflon and put it in my skate bearings. You now know what my office smells like.

I thought the wheels hand spinned well with the Finish line dry but they really spin even longer with the Tri-Flow. I spoke with the guy in the bike shop which only sells top end race bikes and he said they use it on everything but use grease in bearings.

Well, I expect to skate at 30 to 40 mph this evening with my newly oiled bearings. Ok, one more handspin before getting back to work.

Thanks again for your help.

chuckboucher
March 19th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I went out at lunch and got the Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant w/teflon and put it in my skate bearings. You now know what my office smells like.If it smells anything like the Mobile 1 synthetic lube I used one time in my bearings, I don't want to smell it.

Code Monkey
March 19th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I like the smell. At first I thought it was Hoppes gun cleaner. Don't know what Mobil 1 synthetic smells like.

I think I might have found a new cologne.

inlina
March 19th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I spoke with the guy in the bike shop which only sells top end race bikes and he said they use it on everything but use grease in bearings.

Bikes are a bit of a different beast though. The bearings is bikes don't spin as fast as a skate bearing at the same speed on the ground and there aren't 16-20 mini bearings in the 'powertrain'.

The difference in the 'spin down' between using grease and oil (and whatever else) may seem strides apart when you spin the bearing on it's own, but there is no momentum behind a bearing...ie. there isn't much energy to disipate in the bearing spinning on it's own. Once you get on your own body weight behind the different lubed bearings, it can be hard to tell which lube is better. The different feeling of energy loss between oil and lube might be likened to the difference in skating on 78A vs 79A...you have to be fairly astute to pick it.

CG

inlina
March 19th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I only ask, because I used gas WAY back when to clean bearings, I left them overnight in a thin plastic container. In the morning, the container was mush.

Yeah I've done that! Depends on the platic the container is made out of.

The nylon/delrin in the cages of higher end bearings doesn't seem to have a problem with gas/petrol, but it is designed for use in petroleum based products (greases and oils).

Best just to use a glass jar!

CG

brikkee
March 19th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Yeah I've done that! Depends on the platic the container is made out of.

The nylon/delrin in the cages of higher end bearings doesn't seem to have a problem with gas/petrol, but it is designed for use in petroleum based products (greases and oils).

Best just to use a glass jar!

CG

i use a coffee can and run it on top of a compreser for 15 mins 2 in not that im recomending this but:wink:

inlina
March 19th, 2007, 10:47 PM
As in the coffee can sits on the compressor and is some kind of make shift vibration/ultrasonic cleaner....or.....you use the compressed air for some other purpose???

CG

chuckboucher
March 19th, 2007, 10:54 PM
See my edit about the nashbar item above. You need the liquid, not the aerosol, formulation for an ultrasonic bath of your bearings. Tri-flow liquid is periodically on sale on all the major online bike parts vendors (nashar, performancebike, airbomb, bikepartsusa, bikeparts, etc.).

Citrus degreaser? Nashbar "makes" a great one. NB-CD. $9 for 32 oz.Wow, that's a bit pricey. I can get a gallon for a little more than that.

brikkee
March 19th, 2007, 11:04 PM
As in the coffee can sits on the compressor and is some kind of make shift vibration/ultrasonic cleaner....or.....you use the compressed air for some other purpose???

CG

yes just for the vibration of the motor. u cant leave it there unatended i am kinda cheep so work with what i have. i have a cardboard box i put the can in place it on top of the motor and watch it for 15mins. then i spin them tap them spin them. clean out the old gas and repeat untill the gas is clear. then i spin them tap them but like i said i wouldn't recamend it do to the fumes ,etc..but does a hell of a job.:biggrin:

rwsz
March 19th, 2007, 11:19 PM
yes just for the vibration of the motor. u cant leave it there unatended i am kinda cheep so work with what i have. i have a cardboard box i put the can in place it on top of the motor and watch it for 15mins. then i spin them tap them spin them. clean out the old gas and repeat untill the gas is clear. then i spin them tap them but like i said i wouldn't recamend it do to the fumes ,etc..but does a hell of a job.:biggrin:

seeing u have a compressor blow them out after cleaning them, that is what i do,,,sometimes i blow them lightly when i oil them

chuckboucher
March 19th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Well, I found a gallon of citrus degreaser online for $15 shipped. Now all I need is the Tri-Flow superior lubricant, drip bottle, which I'm hoping a local bike shop has. I really don't feel like payint $4 for the lube and $7 to ship it. Doesn't make much sense.

brikkee
March 19th, 2007, 11:42 PM
seeing u have a compressor blow them out after cleaning them, that is what i do,,,sometimes i blow them lightly when i oil them

yeah ill try this i'm do for a cleaning:D

rwsz
March 20th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Can you use mineral spirits in an ultrasonic cleaner? Or will it dissolve plastic?
no it wont dissolve a good plastic unless you leave it in a day or 2,,,,,many times on bones bearings i use a napha cleaner and it will dissolve them if left in more then 30 minutes or so , i normally dont soak them that long or i will take the retainer ring out and put it in after.

chuckboucher
March 20th, 2007, 11:36 AM
In case you didn't get the link I posted in one of the bearing cleaning threads, here's one I found on London Skaters.

Ultrasonic Cleaner for Cleaning Skate Bearings (http://www.londonskaters.com/review-ultrasonic-cleaner-cleaning-skate-bearings.htm)

diN0bot
March 27th, 2007, 09:07 PM
yo,

i put cross-country bike chain lube on the outside of my bearings--it clearly dripped through to the other side-- but now my bearings make klinking and squeeking noises when i roll around-- did i muck up the lithium grease they came with? they haven't gotten wet or rusted--the change was directly caused by letting the liquid drip in....

is finish line or triflow a lot more viscious than the synthetic stuff?

do you guys have this trouble? should i soak the bearings in the fluid?