Frequently Asked Questions
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Who started and runs the project?
- Why was this project started?
- Aren't Ubuntu/Debian already free?
- Why the name gNewSense?
- How do you pronounce gNewSense?
- What's the FSF's involvement with the project?
- How can I get support?
- How can I help?
- Why don't you do $X?
- Can Builder be used only for gNewSense?
- Do I really have to download 30GB to use gNewSense?
- Why is gNewSense 3 based on Debian instead of Ubuntu?
- Why does the new logo look like an eye?
- What are the answers to the wiki's textcha?
Who started and runs the project?
Why was this project started?
It was started to provide an Ubuntu based free software distribution without non-free binary blobs in the kernel. Lots more information. Ubuntu was choosen as the starting point as Paul was a Ubuntu member.
Aren't Ubuntu/Debian already free?
Neither Debian nor Ubuntu are fully free. Ubuntu installs non-free software by default. Debian provides non-free software (including non-free kernel drivers) through its repositories. We were also the first distribution to remove GLX^, which Debian had ignored for years. Read the page about differences with Debian to see the complete list of packages modified by gNewSense.
^GLX is needed for hardware-accelerated 3d graphics in X. Recompiling X, and removing OpenGL, are required due to the non-free SGI Free B license.
(GLX was re-introduced upon completion of a license change in the beginning of 2009, thanks to the work of a large community.)
Why the name gNewSense?
How do you pronounce gNewSense?
The definitive pronunciation is guh-NEW-sense.
What's the FSF's involvement with the project?
The FSF provides hardware and related support to the project. They approached the project after the 0.85 release.
How can I get support?
How can I help?
We're always looking for help. Some areas include user support, documentation and development.
Why don't you do $X?
Many people want this project to do many different things. It is not possible to accommodate all of them, and keep the project maintainable. If you want to do something, your best chance is to talk to us first and then implement it.
Can Builder be used only for gNewSense?
While Builder is geared towards gNewSense, with some modification it can be used to create and maintain a fork of any .deb based distribution.
Do I really have to download 30GB to use gNewSense?
No, LiveCDs are available from our Mirrors. You only need to download 30GB if you want to use Builder to create your own distribution.
Why is gNewSense 3 based on Debian instead of Ubuntu?
- Debian separates free and non-free software better, so it's easier to make a fully free derivative out of it.
- Debian supports the architectures we want to support (e.g. MIPS).
- it suits our infrastructure better (easier development).
Why does the new logo look like an eye?
It's not an eye. It represents a planet and radio telescope dish.