PDA

View Full Version : Any good instructional videos for indoor?

j_nolesfan
January 12th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Until last night at my third skate practice since rejoining the team, I'd never heard of a "six step" corner. One problem is that is shares a name with a breakdance move, :biggrin: Anyway, I was wondering if there were any good videos on the internet that demonstrate proper stance and proper push in both corners and straights. I'm talking about inline, of course ;)

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

ncspeed
January 13th, 2007, 04:43 PM
the way I have always been taught is kick off the wall meaning start crossing at the wall and by the time your right foot crosses it should be at the first cone, and you only do for crosses in a turn coast down the straight away and repeat

j_nolesfan
January 14th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Same here NC. But, that was when I was skating on quads. One of the guys on my team explained that now, you should "lunge" with your left while kicking with your right and then drag or step your right over your left to make the crossover. Your speed determines whether you lift your right skate or just roll it across when crossing it over the right. If you're pacing, you can roll it over/past the left foot but if you're sprinting, you'd obviously have to pick it up. I haven't had much discussion with anyone on the team about this yet but I can tell that I'm not doing exactly what they're doing because they are almost silent when cornering where you can hear me sounding almost like I'm stomping when compared to them.

As for the double push, I think I've got the hang of it. It didn't seem very confusing or difficult to me to begin with. While my "inside" (on the outside edge of my skate) push isn't very powerful yet, it does add force to my outside push. Hedrick's video over at You Tube does a pretty good job of explaining it, I think.

I just feel like I need to understand better about the proper foot placement in crossovers as they specifically relate to inlines. On quads, you step with your right foot towards the first cone as you curve from the wall. If done properly, your right and left feet will cross at the cone, giving your body a slightly shorter path around the corner almost like you're stepping over the cone. I can see where crossing at the cone might be even more important on inlines because of so much more leaning than on quads. I'm just unsure of the rest. I tangle skates a lot when I'm in a pace line, mostly with the person in front of me. I'm sure part of it is the mismatch between my cadence and the person in front but I'm also concerned that it might be due to improper right foot placement when crossing over my left.
Thanks again,
Jeff

MachV
January 14th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I tangle skates a lot when I'm in a pace line, mostly with the person in front of me. I'm sure part of it is the mismatch between my cadence and the person in front but I'm also concerned that it might be due to improper right foot placement when crossing over my left.
Thanks again,
Jeff

Sounds like you are still trying to "reach and pull" so that you can sit your heel down first as quad skaters were taught. The stomping comes from the end toe push and the lifting the skate as you would a quad skate. Clearing the toe causes the foot to be lifted too high for the stomping noise.
It's hard to get rid of the muscle memory. lol.

Read through this topic and watch the YouTube video:
http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873

j_nolesfan
January 15th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Thanks Leroy. Yes, that's my problem, I can't get the quad form out of my head. I'm bending too much at the waist and not enough in my knees. My weight's too far forward which I think is part of the reason my toes want to fall asleep. It's better now that I've lost the socks and loosened my laces a little. I guess I need to follow my coach around a little more and then ask him to follow me and talk me through it. I like Hedrick's talk on the DP and the video in the link is pretty good. It encourages stepping at the right places. Now, I just need to get the mechanics of the proper inline cross straight in my head. Am I right that I should be able to cross my right over my left without lifting my right foot if the pace isn't fast? Also, if it's a fast pace, the motion is the same with the exception of lifting my foot to be able to bring it across faster?
Thanks again,
Jeff

MachV
January 15th, 2007, 08:25 PM
The best thing is to have someone videotape you skating and watch it with your coach. If you don't have a camcorder, ask someone on your team or your coach.

Barry Publow's book "Speed on Skates" has a good explanation of how to crossover on inlines.

xlracer
January 26th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Hey Jeff are you guys from Tallahassee coming to Murfreesboro for the NTF in March? I will be there but only to work the meet. I just put together my first pair of inlines. Going to buy the wheels today.
Been skating on quads for many many years. I have been watching and know I have a long road ahead of me to learn how to skate on them.

j_nolesfan
January 29th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Hey XL,
I'm in Pensacola. I know the team's going to Tallahassee in a couple of weeks for a meet. I can't make that one since I have an ex$pen$ive ski trip planned for this coming weekend. The only thing I'm sure of is that I'm going to skate the Disney marathon. With TN being so far, I'm going to have to see how that fits into my schedule and my budget. I would like to go.
Cheers,
Jeff