View Full Version : Rookie of the year.

oldiesk8er
June 5th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Don Morton – Speed Skater – I don’t think so.

Speed skating is one discipline I know absolutely nothing about. I thought it might be a good idea to find out more so I decided not only to go see what goes on but to participate in a half marathon. Where better to start than the British Inline Marathon Championships held at the Preston Sports Arena, England in June all very well organised by Stockport YMCA.

I duly arrived but found it impossible to mingle with the lycra cognoscenti. After a bit of deliberation I registered. I delayed to the very last moment as to whether or not I would actually start. There were 14 entries, 9 lycra speed skate maestros plus 4 recreational and 1 misfit, that was me. I did note one competitor’s heavily bandaged knee, really not too encouraging for the first time amateur to see at this stage plus there was a considerable delay before starting while an ambulance lifted two competitors off the course from the previous race. This was even more worrying to say the least but it was too late to change my mind. The klaxon sounded and off we went, the lycra suits disappeared in a trice and I was left on the starting line belatedly attempting to calibrate my Garmin. I won’t make that mistake again.

Eventually I finished a poor third in the recreational section after racing beside a lady for 12 laps then dramatically fading on the last lap my inability to stride properly being exposed for all to see. The embarrassment was excruciating but everybody was very kind about it, most patronising. Fortunately there was nobody else from Scotland (I hope) to see my feeble performance. I took about 1 hr 15 minutes to do the 13.25 miles and I was pleased with that until somebody pointed out that the winner of the full marathon would probably do it in about the same time. The humiliation was complete but I have to admit it was much fun and I will have another go next year in an attempt to do better. Yes really.

Jessica
June 5th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I think you're being a little too hard on yourself - everyone is that guy (a first timer) at some point. Congratulations on finishing your first race and good luck in your training for the next one :)

Pepper Montana
June 5th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Don,
It isn't patronizing to give you credit where credit is due. You started the race and you did your best. Good job. There are gobs of people too reticent to do what you did. You are starting a journey. Will you continue this path or will your life take another direction? I'm curious to know if you do more races. I know that if you train right and eat well you will get faster. Also, avoid putting spray butter on your bearings. If they even have spray butter in Scotland. It seems like it might be one of those products that the rest of the world refrains from using, for whatever reason.

Keep on racing! :)

Code Monkey
June 5th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Hey Oldie,

Great post. Excellent writing. I picture it all so clearly, it was a joy to read. I skate a lot and people tell me I live on my skates which of course is not true but to most people I do. With all that I still haven't raced, so you're one up on me in the guts department. Of course there are going to be people who skate twenty six miles in an hour and fifteen minutes but I'll bet you big dollars it wasn't their first race. Also, I bet they have been racing and skating for many years. Personally I think you did excellent and thanks for writing to us about it. Now the trick and fun part is to keep skating and working on improving and see how far and long you go and learn everything in between. I am not a world class speed skater or olympian but I don't let that affect my fantasy that I am when I go out skating. :biggrin:

Skate on!

panch0
June 5th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Oldies experience is one of the reasons why skating is not as big as it can be.

It is a sport where instant gratification is practically non existent. In fact, to get to be significantly efficient on your skates, requires quite a bit of work and time on the skates. An accident can easily throw someone into a quick backpedaling and perhaps withdraw from the sport.

Oldie, I think you are doing all the right things... if you are willing to put in the work, sooner than later you will be very satisfied with your skating.

Just skate and have fun and it will come to you!

Boazarad
June 5th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Just some food for though:
Back in 2005 (way, way back... :P) I was mostly a fitness/freestyle (FSK) skater. At some point I started tagging along for the longer courses, and participating in cycling events. I saw all the lycra clad skaters, and couldn't quite get what the big Idea was.

Here are two pictures - taken during the same cycling event, once in 2005, and once in 2006:
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7382/comealongwaybabych0.jpg

Here is a picture of me today:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/229/510916745_7aaee00048.jpg
as you can see, I've come a long was since my first clumsy steps in speedskating.
My first steps were as clumsy as yours, if not clumsier, and today I am one of the leading speedskaters in Israel.

So if speedskating looks like fun to you - keep at it! you'll improve much quicker than you think, and have a great time doing so!

oldiesk8er
June 5th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Guys, thanks for your encouragement I will certainly give it another go. Unfortunately in my part of the country speed skating is non existent, a great pity.

I would quite like to try on proper speed skates to see if I could handle them before buying. Is this the way to start?

BTW organizers may need to raise the upper age limit for veterans so that I can join in!

colopatinador
June 6th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Unfortunately in my part of the country speed skating is non existent, a great pity.
Than can be said about MOST of your entire contry, mate. But what you've beautifully described is true almost everywhere, so I simpathize.
In Glasgow, everybody and his grandma takes a holiday to Tenerife at least once a year: next time you come down here let me know: we'll do some techinque practices, ok?
And as for veterans, check this site: http://www.exxostenerife.com/isma/
Cheers!

oldiesk8er
June 7th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Than can be said about MOST of your entire contry, mate. But what you've beautifully described is true almost everywhere, so I simpathize.
In Glasgow, everybody and his grandma takes a holiday to Tenerife at least once a year: next time you come down here let me know: we'll do some techinque practices, ok?
And as for veterans, check this site: http://www.exxostenerife.com/isma/
Cheers!

Tenerife, that must be where the good life is because right enough everybody and their gran does go there. Never made it myself, too hot I reckon for skating, but if I change my mind you'll get a call.

chuckboucher
June 7th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I have only only one comment. You entered and you finished. Don't be concerned with what others think or say. I know you had the feeling of accomplishment, so relish in that.

That's the way I felt after my first 10K race. I finished it in 25 minutes and change. All of the people I normally trained with were well in the upper teens. But just crossing that line made me smile.

crumpdaddy
June 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Oldie,

Guid eenin!

Take a few minutes to equate Speedskating with Golf...

...the first few times you do it you look and feel like Fred Flintstone

...the slower you go at first, the better you'll be in the end

...there are many people willing to offer you tips on technique but often you wind up with so much to think about, you lose the joy

...there is always some guy with better looking gear than you and innumberable vendors willing to help you part with your money

...more often than not, it is the athlete, not the equipment, that makes the difference

Hope this helps boost your spirit. We've all been there and some of us still are!!

Keep the rubber side down!

Jessica
June 7th, 2007, 02:11 PM

I like that

crumpdaddy
June 7th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks. It's actually and old motorcyclist expression/farewell.

Looks like it should go double for Mr. Boucher.

chuckboucher
June 7th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks. It's actually and old motorcyclist expression/farewell.

Looks like it should go double for Mr. Boucher.I was actually going to mention that. But it's application in the skating world works pretty well.

Although, in our world, it would be more like "Keep the urethane side down".

sonic
June 12th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Hello Don,
You did the half-marathon judging by your post. Well done you! Keep at it and you'll get better. I didn't finish my first marathon in Goodwood last year, had to pull out due to exhaustion and feeling sick.
This year I got the Ladies Veteran's trophy at Preston. So you just keep skating and improving.
PS The Lycra "cognoscenti" are very friendly, do come and chat to us;)

greazer
June 12th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Hello Don,
You did the half-marathon judging by your post. Well done you! Keep at it and you'll get better. I didn't finish my first marathon in Goodwood last year, had to pull out due to exhaustion and feeling sick.
This year I got the Ladies Veteran's trophy at Preston. So you just keep skating and improving.
PS The Lycra "cognoscenti" are very friendly, do come and chat to us;)
Hey sonic!

Good to see some more LSST skaters on here. :)
Congrats on the Preston race, well done!

Cheers,
Andy.

sonic
June 12th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Hehe, thanks Andy!

LezSk8
June 13th, 2007, 02:14 PM
OldieSkater, You stepped up to the start line. You skated away from it. You crossed the finish line. And, you want to do it again. That sounds like four victories in one event to me. Well done, Mate! So now, ...

LezSk8! :)

chuckboucher
June 13th, 2007, 02:28 PM
OldieSkater, You stepped up to the start line. You skated away from it. You crossed the finish line. And, you want to do it again. That sounds like four victories in one event to me.Bingo.

So, when's the next race?

sonic
June 13th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Bingo.

So, when's the next race?

Yeah Oldie, you coming to Goodwood 29 July?:)

oldiesk8er
June 14th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Yeah Oldie, you coming to Goodwood 29 July?:)

Right supposing I do, will anybody take me aside and spend a few minutes showing me the basics of speed skating. I have read the book (Barry Publow) but I need verbal support, in fact I need to be wet nursed!!

If I thought help was at hand I will admit I am tempted to go. By the way what is the upper age limit for veterans at Goodwood?

sonic
June 15th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Oldie,
I'm sure there will be someone to demo stride 3 to you:)
Veterans age group is 35-49
Masters is 50+
Here's the website to register: http://www.goodwoodmarathon.co.uk

To1ne
June 15th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Oldie,

Guid eenin!

Take a few minutes to equate Speedskating with Golf...

...the first few times you do it you look and feel like Fred Flintstone

...the slower you go at first, the better you'll be in the end

...there are many people willing to offer you tips on technique but often you wind up with so much to think about, you lose the joy

...there is always some guy with better looking gear than you and innumberable vendors willing to help you part with your money

...more often than not, it is the athlete, not the equipment, that makes the difference

Hope this helps boost your spirit. We've all been there and some of us still are!!

Nice!!

I'm starting speedskating this year. And I'm liking it (more than I thought before). Thx for advice, I'll keep it in mind!

skaterdog
June 15th, 2007, 01:40 PM
This is a good reminder to all of the racers to take some time away from your pals at a race...and if you see someone who looks like a first timer, go over and introduce yourself and give them a little encouragement.

oldiesk8er
June 15th, 2007, 02:51 PM
This is a good reminder to all of the racers to take some time away from your pals at a race...and if you see someone who looks like a first timer, go over and introduce yourself and give them a little encouragement.

Skaterdog, you are spot on here. It is a bit intimidating standing in amongst the lycra racers and just because we don't look the part (and I really don't) doesn't mean we should not be made welcome. My interest is increasing and I would like to try and get something going in my home area. Newcomers need a bit of help and advice, thanks for pointing this out.

sonic
June 15th, 2007, 03:55 PM
It's not that you're not welcome Oldie, it's just that most of us in Lycra are probably busy thinking about the race ahead, trying to concentrate and focus. I know because I do, and I get really bad pre-race nerves sometimes. On the other hand, chatting to someone might provide a good distraction from that;)
So just look for someone that looks like my avatar and come and say hello at Goodwood :)

oldiesk8er
June 15th, 2007, 09:17 PM
It's not that you're not welcome Oldie, it's just that most of us in Lycra are probably busy thinking about the race ahead, trying to concentrate and focus. I know because I do, and I get really bad pre-race nerves sometimes. On the other hand, chatting to someone might provide a good distraction from that;)
So just look for someone that looks like my avatar and come and say hello at Goodwood :)

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for you Sonic. I think you can teach me quite a lot.

oldiesk8er
September 18th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I have been giving this speed business more thought. Why should I give up after only one event. I would have gone to Goodwood in July but by right knee exceeded an acceptable pain threshold so I had to pass it by. Where now, why not Berlin!! This is madness of the highest order, My knee is sore lying down, sitting, standing, walking or skating. At my time of life knees don't get any better unless you go for surgery. What's the point in hanging around so I've entered for the Marathon (29th Sept) I can hear the organisers groaning already. I've bought flights and booked a hotel for me and the wife. BTW my wife is not one bit pleased about this.

Now I need a bit of help. I've never skated 26+ miles before at one time. This will be a one off. I skated the half marathon at Preston in about an hour and a quarter and recently on the track I have managed to get that down to just over the hour. Obviously I cannot possibly keep this up for the full marathon so based on your knowledge and experience how long do you think it will take an old timer like me to get right round the whole course in Berlin? How should I approach this task I promise to give it my best shot?

Couldn't care less, not interested, why bother with me with this rubbish! Okay I know what you are thinking, just to make this a bit more special I will give the person, free gratis and for nothing (when did you last hear a Scotsman say that) a bottle of Scotland's very own Speyside Malt Whisky (shipping included), that comes closest to estimating my finishing time (hrs/min/sec) and, most important, must give the reason as to why they think it is relevant.

This is your challenge should you decide to accept it.

Bill in Houston
September 18th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I'll go with 2:22:56

The longer distance and the knee issue made me guess higher than I would have otherwise. I have a nagging feeling I went quite a bit too high, though.

oldiesk8er
September 18th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I'll go with 2:22:56

The longer distance and the knee issue made me guess higher than I would have otherwise. I have a nagging feeling I went quite a bit too high, though.

I'm changing your name from "Bill in Houston" to "Bill the Optimist."

speedysktr
September 18th, 2007, 02:08 PM
2:30, not because of anything other than the fact that it's a massive race with a huge amount of people. I expect you to be hindered by the crowd. I also think you'll have a great time and really enjoy yourself. If I win, make sure you take a drink out of it before you ship it. Couldn't not buy you a drink, right?
Best of luck and Cheers!!! :wink:

Bill in Houston
September 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I'm changing your name from "Bill in Houston" to "Bill the Optimist."
Well, I think that on race day you may find a little extra unexpected pep, vs what you see just skating by yourself. Plus you'll draft some people...

oldiesk8er
September 30th, 2007, 07:29 PM
2:30, not because of anything other than the fact that it's a massive race with a huge amount of people. I expect you to be hindered by the crowd. I also think you'll have a great time and really enjoy yourself. If I win, make sure you take a drink out of it before you ship it. Couldn't not buy you a drink, right?
Best of luck and Cheers!!! :wink:

Out of the whole forum only two skaters took enough interest to post a possible time for an old guy to get round the Berlin marathon. There's a hidden message in that response don't worry I'll take the hint!

I reckon that speedysktr with nearly 3000 posts to his credit doesn't miss out on much and your prediction was only 2 minutes out. How you worked that out I'll never know and yes I was badly baulked in at the beginning. To you Sir a bottle of Scotlands finest. All you have to do is PM me the name and shipping address and I'll get the wheels moving at this end.

Commiserations to Bill in Houston. I reckon that if it had not been for the conditions, raining hard, windy and slippy you would have been spot on. Well there's always another time, thank you for your interest.

oldiesk8er

Bryan
September 30th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Congratulations!

Birgit
September 30th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Out of the whole forum only two skaters took enough interest to post a possible time for an old guy to get round the Berlin marathon. There's a hidden message in that response don't worry I'll take the hint!

I reckon that speedysktr with nearly 3000 posts to his credit doesn't miss out on much and your prediction was only 2 minutes out. How you worked that out I'll never know and yes I was badly baulked in at the beginning. To you Sir a bottle of Scotlands finest. All you have to do is PM me the name and shipping address and I'll get the wheels moving at this end.

Commiserations to Bill in Houston. I reckon that if it had not been for the conditions, raining hard, windy and slippy you would have been spot on. Well there's always another time, thank you for your interest.

oldiesk8er

Well done oldiesk8er!!

You do know that speedysktr is the president of everything- right? So he better read everything as well:p

Do not take that only a few answered your post as any sign in any what so ever direction! Sometimes a post generate a lot of attention, sometimes none. And then what does it matter if it was a sign?!?!

You got to skate in Berlin Marathon, that's huge in more the one way and I would have loved to have been in Europe to be part of the crowd.

Next time you enter a marathon, you'll know what its like and I'll bet you'll like it even more and are already thinking of ways to improve your time - yes??

Bill in Houston
September 30th, 2007, 08:54 PM
<snip> speedysktr <snip> was only 2 minutes out. <snip>To you Sir a bottle of Scotlands finest.

NNNNoOOOOoooo! What, they have bad weather there sometimes? Ah, man, I can't believe it.

Hey, congrats on finishing a super cool event, and you even did it in a decent time for your equipment. Very nice. Keep up the good work and best wishes on the knee...

JandKLarson
September 30th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Oldieskater -

Congrats to you from both Kevin and I on completing your first marathon!!! And not just any marathon, the prestiged Berlin marathon! And the fact that you did it in less than favorable weather conditions, kudos to you many times over!!! Good for you! The first marathon done, the next one will definitely be easier.

And I agree with Birgit, just because your original post did not generate alot of responses, it doesn't mean diddley squat.

We lift a glass and cheer to you, oldieskater!! Congratulations!!!!

Julie and Kevin Larson

speedysktr
September 30th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Oldie, congratulations on completing your event under challenging circumstances. At times like this we all need to stop for a moment
and take inventory of our lives and remember that the most important thing is that I WON!!! woo hoo!!! :p

Please share with me the proprieties when consuming this particular breed. Is it for sippin' next to the fire, quietly savoring it's fine textures or is it for pounding down in shot form. I'm on the wagon until approximately this time next Sunday, but I'll be sure to toast you at the post A2A skatelog dinner.

Don, seriously, congratulations. :wink:
speedy

online inline
September 30th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Please share with me the proprieties when consuming this particular breed. Is it for sippin' next to the fire, quietly savoring it's fine textures or is it for pounding down in shot form. I'm on the wagon until approximately this time next Sunday, but I'll be sure to toast you at the post A2A skatelog dinner.
Hey Speedy, i checked it out and guess what? This particular breed of whiskey is for sharing with your friends. It says something to the effect of 'especially those friends who may be far away, or who you would like to know better, but have gained your respect and are worthy..." So, it's pretty clear they meant it for me and the rest of us moochers, and i'd be happy to share it with you at St. Paul next year, or Duluth, or the like (no, not A2A). Don't worry if you drink it before then, becuase i'll gladly accept a few shots from the bar's stock in lieu of. DON"T FORGET!!!

Don, good going! My first marathon was a landmark event for me, one you can build upon, but one which is a milestone to be proud of. Good going. Speedy and I will definitely yell out a whopping toast to you when we finally get to that bottle, won't we Speedy?

oldiesk8er
October 1st, 2007, 10:17 AM
Hey Speedy, i checked it out and guess what? This particular breed of whiskey is for sharing with your friends. It says something to the effect of 'especially those friends who may be far away, or who you would like to know better, but have gained your respect and are worthy..." So, it's pretty clear they meant it for me and the rest of us moochers, and i'd be happy to share it with you at St. Paul next year, or Duluth, or the like (no, not A2A). Don't worry if you drink it before then, becuase i'll gladly accept a few shots from the bar's stock in lieu of. DON"T FORGET!!!

Don, good going! My first marathon was a landmark event for me, one you can build upon, but one which is a milestone to be proud of. Good going. Speedy and I will definitely yell out a whopping toast to you when we finally get to that bottle, won't we Speedy?

Hey online inline where do you buy your whiskey certainly not Scotland!? Try some real whisky next time. We are touchy about this in Scotland.

oldiesk8er
October 1st, 2007, 10:30 AM
A very special thanks to everyone that followed my exploits and took the trouble to post, your words of encouragment were of considerable help.

Without spoiling the party there is something in speed skating to do with the lycra elite and the rabble, oh sorry I meant recreational skater. It is not easy to explain but it is there and it doesn't alltogether make the newcomer feel particularly welcome, I think speed skaters like it that way. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter all that much if you want to go out and speed skate just go and do it.

Jessica
October 1st, 2007, 03:02 PM
oldiesk8er - I'm not sure how I missed the challenge to guess your time but congratulations. I'll give you the secret to getting more attention for stuff like this (the speedy way :tongue:) :

You have to use lots of bold, crazy colors, and large italicized font. Oh, and don't forget the :):(:confused::mad::wink::tongue::o:biggrin::cool::eek::rolleyes:

oldiesk8er
October 1st, 2007, 05:05 PM
oldiesk8er - I'm not sure how I missed the challenge to guess your time but congratulations. I'll give you the secret to getting more attention for stuff like this (the speedy way :tongue:) :

You have to use lots of bold, crazy colors, and large italicized font. Oh, and don't forget the :):(:confused::mad::wink::tongue::o:biggrin::cool::eek::rolleyes:

Thanks Jessica,
I'll keep that in mind. Normally when something like this crops up in our back yard the locals don't need that much prompting. Don

speedysktr
October 1st, 2007, 08:15 PM
Don, in this case you said the two magic words that always get my attention: whisky and free. 'nuff said. Please note that I didn't give you some fluffy, rah-rah, go get 'em tiger kind of response. It was a serious answer. Based on your information, I think you certainly could do much better under better circumstances.

Bill in Houston
October 1st, 2007, 08:41 PM
Based on your information, I think you certainly could do much better under better circumstances.Ya, so really, my 2:22:56 was a better guess. Do you need my mailing address, oldiesk8er? ;-)

oldiesk8er
October 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM
Ya, so really, my 2:22:56 was a better guess. Do you need my mailing address, oldiesk8er? ;-)

Don't worry Bill there is always next year and I'll let you into a secret, that I won't tell anybody else, when at the Berlin skate fair I bought speed skates!! Now don't laugh and don't ask me which ones because I am not divulging that to anybody.

Bill in Houston
October 1st, 2007, 09:33 PM
:D

Birgit
October 2nd, 2007, 10:12 PM
Don't worry Bill there is always next year and I'll let you into a secret, that I won't tell anybody else, when at the Berlin skate fair I bought speed skates!! Now don't laugh and don't ask me which ones because I am not divulging that to anybody.

You only said Bill couldn't ask what you bought - does that mean its ok for me to ask??

So spill the beans what did you buy?? - share share:p

oldiesk8er
October 2nd, 2007, 10:58 PM
You only said Bill couldn't ask what you bought - does that mean its ok for me to ask??

So spill the beans what did you buy?? - share share:p

Birgit if I was tell anybody it would definintely be you. By why have a laugh now when it can keep for later.

Birgit
October 2nd, 2007, 11:58 PM
Birgit if I was tell anybody it would definintely be you. By why have a laugh now when it can keep for later.

I would never ever laugh at you, I'd laugh with you, but that's totally different.

And btw you haven't seen me skate, but if you did, you would feel totally confident!! :wink:

I'm just a wee beginner in this game here, and when I bought my speed skates 6 mth ago, I could barely stand in them - no kidding!!

Have fun on them and when you feel ready, please do share your new adventures with us!