Skip Navigation

Outwood Viaduct

Project description

Outwood Viaduct carried the East Lancashire Railway over the Irwell into Radcliffe, on the route from Manchester to Accrington. The Viaduct is now a Grade 2 Listed Structure for which British Rail were refused Listed Building Consent for demolition in 1987. It was originally built by Andrew Handyside & Co. of Derby in 1881 at a cost of £4,225, for the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company. The structure consists of five cast iron arches on brick pillars with stone abutments, formerly overlain with a wooden deck and rails.

Progress

Following a major restoration scheme it opened to the public as part of the Outwood Trail and a link between Radcliffe town centre and Outwood Forest Park in June 1999.

The viaduct required masonry and brickwork repairs to the substructure, the extensive repair of cracked cast iron superstructure members, and the installation of a new concrete deck to replace the largely missing old wooden deck. The access ramp which connects the viaduct with Radcliffe town centre has also been remodelled, and new handrails, posts and decorative artwork have been incorporated into the design in keeping with the key position the Viaduct occupies on the Irwell Sculpture Trail.

In your area

Position of Bury in the North West
Rate this page:
Rate this page as goodRate this page as averageRate this page as poor
Bookmark and share: