The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:55 PM

It's your imagination.
Advertisements  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:14 PM

Has it occurred to you that the layout of your apartments is identical? If you both have a daily sort of schedule that is similar, you both may be doing similar things, and be in the same room cooking or watching TV or using a computer.

I am on the top floor and have squeaky wood floors. I wonder if it makes the below-me neighbors crazy sometimes since I have a weird schedule and sometimes cook at 4am. While they could certainly ascertain where I am in the apartment, I have no idea where they are unless I'm going to the windows and listening for when they argue or when he goes on one of his drunken yelling marathons.

Even then, I would have to go to the windows in each room and listen for a while before I could tell whether he was yelling in the living room, bedroom, or wherever. It took me a month before I was even able to tell the drunk yelling guy was in the apartment under mine because of the courtyard and echoing. I certainly have no idea what he's actually DOING even if I can figure out he's in the kitchen - cooking? Sitting at the table? There's no way to know, even if I had my ear to the floor.

You need help. Your upstairs neighbor is not the problem, and you're terrorizing her with your yelling insults. Please see someone for some medical intervention before this gets really ugly.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Luongo View Post
Anyway, if she's old, there's probably not a lot you can do to change her behavior at this point.
She is 26. That's old?
Damn, kayaker.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 PM

I can't help picturing the OP's neighbor, cowering in fear because every single time she so much as goes to the bathroom, the guy downstairs shakes his fist and screams at her.

I think you need to work at this curmudgeon thing. Start by grumbling at people calling you on the phone past dark and then move on to yelling at kids on your lawn.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
As a matter of fact, yes, you do.
Agreed.

There are some things that go with living in an apartment building. Hearing some of what your neighbors do is one of them. You have no way of knowing what she's doing up there. She could be moving about her apartment completely oblivious of what you're doing.

Also, even if she is listening to you, why do you care? I've lived in apartments before, and if the person above me wanted to spend their time following me from room to room and listening to me make breakfast, watch TV, and do my laundry, why should i give a damn?
Count me as number 17(?) here who is asking "how do you know she's following and listening to you?

And second, even if she is so what?

I am BOOOOOORing. If my neighbor were following me around listening to what i do, she'd be bored out of her mind. And that would be its own revenge...mwaaah haha
Old 08-04-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post

Where does it say that?
In the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by posskb View Post
She is 16 years older than me.
So... the OP is ten?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Quote:

In the OP:
So... the OP is ten?
I think that's exactly what kayaker was implying.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:48 PM

OP, have you considered spreading mayonnaise on the ceiling?
Old 08-05-2010, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

I think if you tried to pork her everything would be fine.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walmarticus View Post
She would nit or read
Walmarticus, how do you 'nit' without being picky?

I think the woman upstairs who's driving posskb mental is his mom.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Bates Motel. Twelve Rooms, Twelve Vacancies.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:26 AM

The OP says he is disabled & spends a lot of time in the apt alone. I'm really reaching, I know, but is it possible that he uses a motorized wheelchair that makes a lot of electric engine noise?

If this was the case, maybe if the OP had 1-2 spare electric chairs & sent them off in different directions while he went about his business, he could throw her off?

Or, if she was still following him, maybe he could buy a dozen roombas? He could turn them on and drop them like chaff as needed as he went about the apartment.

But then, how would the OP know that she hasn't just dropped a sound-activated & sound-homing roomba of her own to chase him around all day while she's at work?

"Dear Heartless Bitches International. I never thought I'd be writing to you, but I have found an easy victim and have discovered the perfect way to drive him Absolutely Crazy...!"
Old 08-05-2010, 08:31 AM

Addressing the OP and nothing else:

You know, there are certain times of day when people take showers, and there are certain times of day when people eat and cook meals. Isn't it possible that her schedule just happens to match your own?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Count Blucher is right, what you need are heightened counter-detection measures. Perhaps a radio in each room, each tuned to a different station (or static). Cover all surfaces of your apartment with sound-dampening material. Replace the ring tone on your phone with a flashing light, and use headphones for the computer/TV. Absolute stealth is the word. That'll teach her.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:25 AM

Make a recording of yourself reading a passage from a book. Using multiple playback devices and the "repeat" function, ensure that your voice can be heard in all rooms at all times.

This will confuse her and may screw up her eavesdropping.

It won't make any difference when it comes to the cameras she's installed in all the light fixtures.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 AM

It's a weird problem but I have to go with the radios. They don't have to be loud, but just loud enough so you don't think the upstairs neighbor is following you around.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
... Cover all surfaces of your apartment with sound-dampening material. Replace ...
what he needs to do is cover everything (ya, including the ceiling) with flour, setup a 24 hour motion detector camera and call the ex-parapsychologists.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Bates Motel. Twelve Rooms, Twelve Vacancies.
... twelve showers.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:47 PM

Its awful quiet. Has the OP heard anything yet?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:08 PM

"It's just apartment house rules
So all you 'partment fools
Remember : one man's ceiling
is another man's floor"
Old 08-05-2010, 10:16 PM

posskb, how do you think she KNOWS where you are at any moment in your apartment? Just curious? How could she possibly hear you below? (Just bear with me, folks)
Old 08-05-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I am a guy disabled and spend the majority of my time here alone.
Maybe she worries about you.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:06 AM

Loud bagpipe music -- that oughta screw her up for awhile.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Blucher View Post

Or, if she was still following him, maybe he could buy a dozen roombas? He could turn them on and drop them like chaff as needed as he went about the apartment.

[/SIZE]
LOLs at the mental image of a powerchair with roomba chaffpacks!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
I think if you tried to pork her everything would be fine.
Gee, you rarely hear a reference to "pork" from someone named Cicero.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

I had never heard of Cicero Pig. I am not entirely pleased.

Now I keep thinking of "Deliverence".
Old 08-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

He's not coming back in here, is he.....sigh.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:11 AM

Maybe the OP doesn't realize that it's him that's actually the one who is following her around listening to her. Hmmmm?
Old 08-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenblue View Post
Dammit, we've lost another one to the Bungo Straights. From now on, Area no. 7 is Off Limits....
Old 08-08-2010, 10:13 AM

False Telephone conversations.

Not "I'm pretending to be a drug dealer/criminal" calls, or you'll have the cops all over you.

Nope.

Pretend to be in the CIA, involved in hair raising operations inside the US.

But only very infrequently, when you know she's listening, you just want to mess with her mind, AND you have something of a script worked out.

"Good morning sir. Yes sir, the operation went well. We killed three terrorists over in (crappy neighborhood) who were getting guns from (gang name). We also took out three gang members. No sir, one of them got away. We think it was Muhammed Muhammed. But we have a lead on him. No sir, I can guarantee that it won't be on the news. We cleaned up the scene and destroyed the bodies. Yes sir, I know how sensitive this is, nothing can get out. Yes sir, thank you sir. I'll report back when we know where to find this scumbag."

Watch the look on her face next time she sees you.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think he figured out that his neighbor is one of the people posting in this thread and it scared him even more. I'm not the one that told. I swear.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 08-08-2010 at 12:18 PM..
Old 08-09-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice The Goon View Post
I don't think we'd be doing the OP any favors if we pretended that this is perfectly normal. There's obviously some paranoia going on here, and I really do recommend he see a doctor.
No, but if people here honestly thought that the guy had mental problems, they wouldn't make fun of him for something he can't help, right?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
No, but if people here honestly thought that the guy had mental problems, they wouldn't make fun of him for something he can't help, right?

Oh, no! Of course not!

I'm starting to think it was a troll, anyway.

Last edited by Alice The Goon; 08-09-2010 at 12:58 AM..
Old 08-09-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:

I realize I sound paranoid.
Yes, you sound paranoid. There is no way she can track your movements.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
Quote:

I realize I sound paranoid.
Cameras in the light fixtures.

GPS hidden in the labels of his undies too.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallowed My Cellphone View Post
Quote:
Cameras in the light fixtures.

GPS hidden in the labels of his undies too.
I'm actually fearful for the woman. Actively calling her names and voicing his delusions to her doesn't bode well.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I'm actually fearful for the woman. Actively calling her names and voicing his delusions to her doesn't bode well.
You really think there is a woman? I'm leaning more toward an empty apartment upstairs.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You really think there is a woman? I'm leaning more toward an empty apartment upstairs.
"I want to lodge a complaint about my upstairs neighbor! She...she LISTENS to me! I can hear her!"

"But sir. The unit directly above yours is empty. It's been empty for the last twenty years."
Old 08-10-2010, 12:27 PM
BANNED

If she listening to you, it's because you're giving her something to listen to.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
We wouldn't?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
Quote:
I think he figured out that his neighbor is one of the people posting in this thread and it scared him even more. I'm not the one that told. I swear.
Hey, everybody!
We just found the rat!

Best wishes,
hh
Old 07-25-2011, 11:24 PM

OMG - I just came across this site and this post. I was searching for ways to find out how I can tell if my upstairs neighbor is spying/listening to me and this post came up.
This is real and it is happening to me right now. The exact same thing posskb posted is happening to me now. At first I thought I was imaginging it so I tested it out. I purposely walked from room to room to see if he would do the same thing and he did. I truely believe this man is spying on me and no one believes me. I happen to like my apartment and have been living here for several years, he moved in about a year ago. After I signed another 18 month lease is when I noticed him following and listening to me. This is so irrating and scary as I'm a single female. I have called the police and they said it's nothing they can do about it unless I have proof. My apartment complex shrugs it off. Right now I'm typing on my pc at my desk in my dinning room and I just heard him stomp over here. This is so annoying and irritatting. I don't know what to do. Lik I said I can't just move and I don't feel I should he is the one invading my privacy. Posskb you are not imagining this, this is real and it's probably happening to a lot of people.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:30 PM

It's way, way more likely that someone concerned about this has some paranoia problems and needs medication and/or therapy than that an upstairs or downstairs neighbor would spy on someone by following them from room to room. Or is a zombie. Either way.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:55 AM

Right. Like he might not have something to do in his dinning room, too.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:50 AM

Although it has been almost a year and Posskb never posted after this thread.

On the bright side I don't think One1 should be worried that she could now have Posskb's listening neighbor, as that was a woman. On the other hand, I wonder if the OP has ever seen the movie Mimic?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One1 View Post
OMG - I just came across this site and this post. I was searching for ways to find out how I can tell if my upstairs neighbor is spying/listening to me and this post came up.
This is real and it is happening to me right now. The exact same thing posskb posted is happening to me now. At first I thought I was imaginging it so I tested it out. I purposely walked from room to room to see if he would do the same thing and he did. I truely believe this man is spying on me and no one believes me. I happen to like my apartment and have been living here for several years, he moved in about a year ago. After I signed another 18 month lease is when I noticed him following and listening to me. This is so irrating and scary as I'm a single female. I have called the police and they said it's nothing they can do about it unless I have proof. My apartment complex shrugs it off. Right now I'm typing on my pc at my desk in my dinning room and I just heard him stomp over here. This is so annoying and irritatting. I don't know what to do. Lik I said I can't just move and I don't feel I should he is the one invading my privacy. Posskb you are not imagining this, this is real and it's probably happening to a lot of people.
You can hear the person walking around above a lot better than from an apartment below you, so it's safe to say you are "spying" on him more effectively than he would be on you. For an experiment, why don't you spend a day or two trying to eavesdrop on your downstairs neighbor and see how successful you are.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:18 AM

Buy a fart machine and use it liberally.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Blucher View Post
On the other hand, I wonder if the OP has ever seen the movie Mimic?
Yikes. Holy Franz Kafka!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Buy a fart machine and use it liberally.
I sit on mine.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice The Goon View Post
It's way, way more likely that someone concerned about this has some paranoia problems and needs medication and/or therapy than that an upstairs or downstairs neighbor would spy on someone by following them from room to room.
Yeah, I was going to say... The OP gave me that impression, and One1's post does nothing to change my mind.
Closed Thread