Malaysia

#TangkapNajib gathering to go on this Saturday despite police warning

Members of Demi Malaysia hold a press conference on the #TangkapNajib rally in Bangsar today. – The Malaysian Insider pic by Afif Abd Halim, July 30, 2015. Members of Demi Malaysia hold a press conference on the #TangkapNajib rally in Bangsar today. – The Malaysian Insider pic by Afif Abd Halim, July 30, 2015. A group of youths calling themselves "Demi Malaysia" (For Malaysia) will continue with their gathering this Saturday to urge Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak to resign, despite a police warning against the assembly.

Student activist Adam Adli Abd Halim, who is the spokesperson for the group, said the warning by Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar was simply seen as a tactic to stop any show of dissent against the prime minister.

"Until today, the prime minister of Malaysia has failed to answer how 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) can pay up their billions of ringgit in debts.

"Realising the need to push, to save the country and free the people from continued economic, political and social uncertainty, the youths are grouping together to demand that Najib resign as prime minister immediately.

"Demi Malaysia is calling on all youngsters and the people of Malaysia to attend a peaceful gathering that will be held on August 1 in front of Sogo shopping complex at 2pm," he said at a press conference held in Kuala Lumpur today.

Adam said that organisers were expecting some 500 people to join the gathering and urged those attending to be in white clothing.

He said similar assemblies in Kuala Lumpur happened before and they were carried out peacefully without disrupting the harmony of the country.

"This is a right that is guaranteed under the constitution. There is no need for us to ask for a permit and all.

"(The police warning) is only a tactic by the authorities to stop us from carrying out the protest. There is nothing here that is against the law.

"Demonstrations are not foreign in Kuala Lumpur. From small ones to larger gatherings... we have seen them. We know there nothing is bad about it, the harmony and security are not disrupted," he said.

He said Khalid's statement yesterday seemed to behind times, adding that the organisers were prepared to cooperate with the police if there was a need.

"We understand the protest is a democratic process, especially for the people who don't have the opportunity to speak in Parliament.

"This is a platform for the normal citizen to speak," he added.

Another activist Safwan Anang, who was also present at the press conference today, said that this Saturday's gathering would be the beginning of a bigger rally that will be held in the coming weeks.

"We start with the August 1 demonstration because yesterday Bersih 2.0 announced that they will be organising a bigger rally.

"We will make August 1 as the momentum of the people who are angry at what is happening," he said.

Yesterday, Khalid warned the #TangkapNajib rally organisers not to jeopardise national security.

Bernama reported him as saying that the police would not compromise with any quarters who tried to break the law by inciting the people to take to the streets to topple the government.

He also urged the organiser to immediately deny the matter (topple the government) as it had been spread on social media.

"We have laws and cannot do anything we like to topple the government. There is a constitutional way to change the government... this is my last warning," he said.

He said any rally could be organised in the country but it must follow the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012. – July 30, 2015. 

Comments

Please refrain from nicknames or comments of a racist, sexist, personal, vulgar or derogatory nature, or you may risk being blocked from commenting in our website . We encourage commenters to use their real names as their username. As comments are moderated, they may not appear immediately or even on the same day you posted them. We also reserve the right to delete off-topic comments