Script Doctor & Rewriting Services for Producers, Writers & Directors
– Struggling with a script? Can’t see the wood from the trees?
– Great premise, but poor execution?
– Want a writer who’ll stick to a brief rather than veering off-piste?
– Don’t want the admin and hassle of dealing with writers’ agents?
– Need a fresh, skilled set of eyes to re-write your project, taking it from a “Pass” to a “Recommend“?
– Budget-slashing (by standard development prices) at £1500 per week…
If you want the fastest, cheapest route to the best version of your script it can be, you’ve come to the right place. Our script doctoring service is…
Fast – > Affordable -> Effective -> Admin-light
Today we completed the script doctoring work on my screenplay ANOTHER LOVE, with Industrial Scripts. I have no words to say other than THANK YOU as it has been an amazing collaboration. The script doctor we worked with is super-talented. You guys have demonstrated over-the-top efficiency.
– Victor Perez, verified client review, September 2014
Thank you very much Industrial Scripts. The script doctoring experience has been tremendous. I’m a very happy customer.
– Adam Rolston, Producer, A STREET CAT NAMED BOB, verified client review, April 2014
– What is a Script Doctor? Definition of a Script Doctor
As we explained on our definition of a Script Editor page, there are essentially two “families” of terms when referring to script development professionals:
1. script editors / script readers/ script consultants / script analysts /coaches/gurus.
2. script doctors.
Script doctors differ from the other types of professional in that the others are reactive whereas a script doctor is proactive. A script doctor will actually re-write parts – or even all – of a script. They will provide feedback in the same way a script editor will, but they will also suggest improvements and then go away and actually implement these improvements themselves.
“A script doctor is the theoretical love child of the screenwriter and the development executive…the perfect fusion of both skillsets”.
Script doctors are far more prevalent in American than they are in Europe, and one of the key skills of a script doctor is to be able to remove their ego from the equation and stick tightly to a brief. Script doctors, although often responsible for vastly improving movies and TV shows, are very rarely publicly credited and do most of their work unseen. Here’s a great article from Variety about Hollywood script doctors, how they work, and the huge fees they command…
I have used Industrial Scripts for many years and have never been disappointed. The lastest work I commissioned (a script doctoring job) was completed in the time promised and was as well done as I could have wished. I would highly recommend Industrial Scripts. They are totally trustworthy and professional.
– Jean Fairweather, verified client review, May 2014
– How does the Industrial Scripts script doctoring system work?
1. The 1st step is to submit your script along with a £75.00 non-refundable Script Doctor’s Assessment Fee. You may also specify which script doctor you would like to work with but obviously due to their varying workloads, the person in question may not be available. In this instance one of our other equally experienced script doctors would read your script.
2. Our script doctor would read your script, assess it, and we would then send you some thoughts on how he or she would approach the doctoring work, and how many weeks work would be required to hone the script to a market-ready level. Typically clients book our script doctors on 3/4 week+ bookings, but sometimes they work for longer on projects, and very occasionally less. But we never book our doctors on less than a 2 week booking. Our fixed script doctoring rate is £1500 per week.
3. If our quote and fee is agreeable we would contract the work and schedule a meeting/conference call with yourself and our script doctor to discuss the re-write work in greater depth.
4. You would be sent a Writer’s Contract, and an invoice. Payment is made in-full, up-front by BACS.
5. Our script doctor would complete the doctoring, in close email & telephone consultation with you, and deliver the new script on a certain date.
Developing my screenplay with Industrial Scripts has been the best investment of my career to date. Not only have I learnt standard industry protocols, but experienced the hands-on approach to get my screenplay to market. Industrial exceeded my expectations.
– Andrew James Porter, verified client review, September 2015
This was an incredible opportunity. A chance to work with the cream of the crop – who really know what makes a movie get sold or made, and how to take a script from good to great!
– Sundae Jahant-Osborn, verified client review, March 2012
– How much does it cost?
Our script doctoring rate is, generally-speaking, fixed at £1500 per week. As suggested above, typically clients book our doctors on anything upwards of a 3-week booking, and we have worked with clients on 6-10 week bookings in the past. There are a number of factors in play including the genre of your project, how quickly you wish to start work, whether you’re working to a deadline, if you wish to hire a fully credited screenwriter (which increases the cost considerably) and more. Once you have booked our script doctor’s assessment and our script doctor has had a chance to read your script we will be in touch with you with a full quote.
– What happens regarding credit?
As in the US film system, our script doctors are not credited on your project. They receive no payment on the first day of principal photography, have no legal rights in the work, and are not involved beyond the end of their contract with you (unless you wish them to be). The system is quick, easy and intended to cut through all the usual red tape associated with bringing on a new writer to a project. The only contractual stipulation we insist on is that in the event we wish to, we will be credited as “Script Editor: Industrial Scripts”, “Script Doctor” or “Script Consultant” on your project.
– Who will my script doctor be?
Industrial Scripts works with a select network of script doctors and screenwriters, some of whom have their credentials listed on this page. We also work with other, higher-profile screenwriters who for obvious reasons do not wish it known to the wider industry that they do uncredited script doctoring work. We also have relationships with several high-level development people who have worked extensively on both sides of the development fence (ie. as writer and development executive/reader/editor), and have found this type of writer is extremely good at hitting a brief, and not diverting from the client’s wishes. Once we know more about your project, we’re able to match a suitable script doctor to it. Just book our Script Doctor’s Assessment service to get your work matched to a script doctor. As with all our script development services, we stand by the quality of our work – and with 400+ customer reviews online you can be sure your project is in the safest hands possible with us.
– What have past clients said?
Industrial Scripts is the most transparent script development company in the world, and has been reviewed over 400 times by previous clients. To read reviews of our script development services, simply visit this page and click through to view what past customers have said about working with Industrial Scripts.