sex hikayeleri interior desing escort fethiye escort denizli porno hikaye kredi kartı borç sorgulama sitesi yayında ziraatbank borç sorgulama
INTERNATIONAL NEWS
December 12, 2007 12:00:00 AM
  Follow @ Twitter

Russia has walked out of a key Cold War treaty setting limits on troops and weapons across Europe, but promised there were no immediate plans for a major military build-up.

Russia's participation in the Conventional Forces in Europe (CFE) treaty was suspended from midnight in Moscow (2100 GMT Tuesday), the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

"Such a step has been caused by the exceptional circumstances connected to the content of the treaty which concern the security of Russia and demand that we take immediate measures," the ministry statement said.

Signed in 1990 and modified in 1999, the CFE places precise limits on the stationing of troops and heavy weapons from the Atlantic coast to Russia's Ural mountains -- a mammoth agreement that helped resolve the Cold War standoff.

President Vladimir Putin, who has made a priority of restoring Russian military might, signed a decree ordering Moscow's suspension of the treaty last month.

Suspension means troops can now be moved around the country without notifying NATO.
The foreign ministry said that Russia was no longer "constrained by the limitations placed on arms deployments on its flanks."

However, the ministry added a reassuring note, saying: "We have no current plans to accumulate massive armaments on our neighbours' borders."

In theory, Russia can return to the treaty at any time, but analysts say that is unlikely, given mounting East-West tensions.

The demise of the CFE comes on top of Moscow's threat to leave the Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces treaty, as well as tensions around US plans to install a missile-defence shield in NATO members Poland and the Czech Republic.


PREVIOUS STORY
Prosecutor suspended in Aust rape furore
NEXT STORY
Top general killed in crisis-hit Lebanon

Bookmark and Share
   




FIJI NEWS
Man, 20, is latest drowning victimA 20-year-old man is believed to be the country’s latest drowning victim.
BUSINESS
McDonalds opens in Sugar CityPrime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama last night opened the $4.5 million McDonalds Restaurant in Lautoka.
SPORTS
Blatter, Platini banned for 8 yearsFifa president Sepp Blatter and Uefa boss Michel Platini have been suspended for 8 years from all football-related activities following an ethics investigation.
TECHNOLOGY
Fiji receives ICT awardFiji’s efforts in harnessing its ICT sector has been recognised by the International Telecommunications Union and Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama yesterday received the ICTs in Sustainable Development Award in New York.
WORLD
Pope prays for peace in Syria, KoreaPope Francis prayed for a "political solution" in Syria and for "reconciliation" on the Korean peninsula in his first Easter Sunday message in front of a crowd in St Peter's Square.
ENTERTAINMENT
2015's biggest hits in one remix: 50 Shades of PopAmerican artist DJ Earworm has released his 2015 United States of Pop mega-mash of the year’s biggest hits.
NEWS SPORTS INFOTAINMENT MOBILE HOT TOPICS FOLLOW US ON