This is a (ahem) sensitive subject, but it’s truly worth discussing, simply because writing a good sex scene can be so difficult. Below you will find several resources with tips for writing a good sex scene.
Our master list of WriteWorld articles on sex can be found here: This Is a Towel: Sex Scenes.
- Geekfiction: This is a three-page tutorial with tips for writing good sex scenes from a fanfiction author’s perspective. It includes explicit examples and advice from several writers of CSI fanfiction. It is widely considered the most effective tutorial on the internet for fanfiction authors and run-of-the-mill writers alike.
- Nerve.com: Steve Almond provides a 12-step guide (with bonus) for writing general sex scenes. It is both witty and succinct.
- RedRoom.com: Jessica Barksdale Inclan gives us some insight into a course she’s teaching on writing sex scenes as well as some really great advice in this article.
- TheEditorsBlog.net: Beth Hill talks shop on writing sex scenes. She is very thorough here and makes things pretty comprehensive without getting too clinically analytical.
- WriteAnything: Jodi Cleghorn offers exercises to prepare the writer to pen a sex scene as well as general tips. This post is especially useful for those who need to ease into a scene of this nature.
- Minotaur’s Sex Tips for Slash Writers: If you happen to be writing a gay sex scene (male/male, also known as “slash”) then this is the tutorial for you.
- Writing-Sex: Articles with really specific tips for writing a sex scene by various authors.
- SexTutor.com: “offers accurate, clearly written, helpful sex advice.” If you need help on the mechanics of a particular sex act, you will find them here.
- A Very Complete List of Sex Positions: We think that says it all, don’t you?
- SexInfo101: Everything you could ever want to know about sex. This site includes helpful image guides as well.
- 17 Dirty Words: Pip Hunn lists seventeen words never to use in your sex scene.
- 102 Places to Have Sex: This is a list of suggestions for places to have sex.
We hope you found this illuminating and good luck!