Since the warmer weather has arrived I've been out to our local farmers market every weekend. This warm salad was inspired by shopping for local produce and is so easy to make, find the recipe below.
It's been a goal of mine to shop locally as much as I can. In the winter months its next to impossible to get in a variety of produce while supporting the local economy. I've realized, spending money at farmers markets and supporting local farmers is so important for a few reasons. The people you are supporting feel an obligation to uphold certain standards. You actually know where your food is coming from and how it gets to your plate. You hold buying powder and influence supply and demand. The more money we put into local farmers the more demand there will be for locally grown produce. Shopping locally saves you money because the imported items you buy at chain grocery stores come with a premium. This of course lowers your carbon footprint, reducing the amount of transportation and greenhouse gases associated. Most importantly when you buy locally you create a sense of community, which is fulfilling for both the consumer and seller.
Roast Potato Summer Salad Recipe
- 4 cups of diced new potatoes
- 2 lbs of fresh asparagus
- 1/2 head of garlic
- 1 tbsp dill
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 can of rinsed butter beans
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse and scrub potatoes and cut into quarters or bite sized pieces. Peel individual cloves of garlic. In a mixing bowl coat potatoes and garlic with one tablespoon of olive oil and dill.
- Cook on a non-stick baking sheet in the oven for 30-45 minutes until golden brown.
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking time start preparing your asparagus. Cut spears into equal pieces, discarding 2 inches at the end of the stalk. In a large frying pan add remaining tbsp of oil and gently sautee on medium high heat until tender, but still crunchy. Add in the juice of one lemon and butter beans for approximately 2 minutes just until heated through.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients and serve warm. Serves 4.
I hope this inspires an amazing meal. If you liked this recipe or you have any tips for shopping locally let me know in the comments below.