Photo

Writers of Dragon Age

551 replies to this topic

David Gaider

David Gaider
  • BioWare Employees
  • 4,514 posts

AndreaDraco wrote...
A quick question: we know which writer wrote which companion, but do we know which writer wrote each origin and each Treaty Quest? I'd be interested to know who wrote Broken Circle, Nature of the Beasts (my favorites), and who wrote the Mage Origin and the Human Noble Origin :)

With the plots it's a bit more difficult to pinpoint -- some of them went through multiple hands, and the last writer that took ownership of it inherited all the problems that went before. BUT with that in mind I can say who did the majority of the writing for each plot (if not always the majority of the design):

Origins:

Human Noble - me
Mage Origin - Sheryl
Dalish Elf - me
City Elf - Daniel
Dwarn Noble - Daniel
Dwarf Commoner - Jennifer

Game plots:

Nature of the Beast - me
Arl Eamon/Redcliffe - me
Broken Circle - Sheryl
Urn of Sacred Ashes - Sheryl
Paragon of Her Kind - Luke/Jennifer
Landsmeet - Mary

MoSa09

MoSa09
  • Members
  • 1,526 posts

David Gaider wrote...

AndreaDraco wrote...
A quick question: we know which writer wrote which companion, but do we know which writer wrote each origin and each Treaty Quest? I'd be interested to know who wrote Broken Circle, Nature of the Beasts (my favorites), and who wrote the Mage Origin and the Human Noble Origin :)

With the plots it's a bit more difficult to pinpoint -- some of them went through multiple hands, and the last writer that took ownership of it inherited all the problems that went before. BUT with that in mind I can say who did the majority of the writing for each plot (if not always the majority of the design):

Origins:

Human Noble - me
Mage Origin - Sheryl
Dalish Elf - me
City Elf - Daniel
Dwarn Noble - Daniel

Game plots:

Nature of the Beast - me
Arl Eamon/Redcliffe - me
Broken Circle - Sheryl
Landsmeet - Mary

May i ask: what about Ostagar/Korcari Wilds and Lothering. Liked both parts very much, especially Lothering. It's where you really get the feeling of a country at war and the bitter fate of all the refugees.

David Gaider

David Gaider
  • BioWare Employees
  • 4,514 posts

MoSa09 wrote...
May i ask: what about Ostagar/Korcari Wilds and Lothering. Liked both parts very much, especially Lothering. It's where you really get the feeling of a country at war and the bitter fate of all the refugees.

I think I wrote most of Ostagar and the Korcari Wilds... although that went through a lot of handling, as well, so it may be hard to tell. Lothering is definitely mine, however.

master-fluff

master-fluff
  • Members
  • 151 posts
Another huge fan of the dialogue, thank you guys ! Never quite got into any other game since BG2 so I've been waiting for this for a loooong time. It's the writing and banter that make all the difference to me.

The voice actors were also top class and whoever cast them is equally talented. Dear BioWare, if you ever have to cut corners, drop a dungeon crawl in favour of the writing and voice-acting. Hope DA:O is a huge success and the bean-counters never try to rein you in.

Ginasue

Ginasue
  • Members
  • 246 posts
David, no mater what you wrote or the others wrote, the whole thing came together wonderfully. You can be proud of your whole team, and know that we the players greatly thank them all of a job well done, and now how much of awakening have you wrote.

Will we get to see the same quality of writing in it that we have had in Origins?

Ethical Scabs

Ethical Scabs
  • Members
  • 155 posts
I mean no offense David, but it really looks like you wrote about 30% of the game, not counting the novels.

Your life---does it exist?  You must have a wonderful work ethic.

Edited by Ethical Scabs, 08 January 2010 - 05:21 PM.

MoSa09

MoSa09
  • Members
  • 1,526 posts

David Gaider wrote...

MoSa09 wrote...

I think I wrote most of Ostagar and the Korcari Wilds... although that went through a lot of handling, as well, so it may be hard to tell. Lothering is definitely mine, however.

Wow, thx for that quick response. And congrats, Lothering is really a favorite area of mine, it has a unique feeling to me i really really like.
But i love the rest too, and as i have the opportunity to have the lead writer reading my post, just let me say i love this game and thank you all for an amazing game.
I am playing it since release now, and it's still fun and i enjoy it. Thx to you and the whole team.

Allen63

Allen63
  • Members
  • 122 posts
I'm almost done after over 100 hours (money's worth).

I like the writing quite a lot. I very much liked the mage origin story (the only one I played) -- seemed to fit my feminine character very well. I liked the decisions and not-always-expected consequences of that part. It gave me a great send off into the rest of DAO.

Edited by Allen63, 08 January 2010 - 05:27 PM.

RinpocheSchnozberry

RinpocheSchnozberry
  • Members
  • 6,210 posts
In the Brecilian Forests, there is a little camp ground beneath a tree. Since this is a non-spoiler forums, I'll just wink-wink nudge-nudge. You know the one I'm talking about. After you do the thing and the stuff with the thing, one of the items you can get is a "manuscript" that's described as serviceable and such. Is that little area adapted from a story one of your wrote and never published?

Estelindis

Estelindis
  • Members
  • 3,695 posts
I completely agree with Ginasue. The interaction between party members was one of the things I liked best about this game. It gave the whole story a sense of depth that most other CRPGs lack.

AndreaDraco

AndreaDraco
  • Members
  • 962 posts

David Gaider wrote...

Origins:

Human Noble - me
Mage Origin - Sheryl
Dalish Elf - me
City Elf - Daniel
Dwarn Noble - Daniel

Game plots:

Nature of the Beast - me
Arl Eamon/Redcliffe - me
Broken Circle - Sheryl
Landsmeet - Mary

Thanks David. I join the others in saying that the whole thing, albeit being written by different writers, came together just wonderful. The transitions are seamless, and every origin and game plot has its own merits and strong points.

Anyway, I must really keep an eye on you and Sheryl, since you two wrote my favorite segments of the game (and my two favorite companions: Zev and Wynne), and I must say that I really enjoy how Sheryl worked many intriguing puzzles into her storytelling, providing that it was her who came up with the bridge brain-teaser (Urn) and with the multi-layered gameplay of the Fade.

About Nature of the Beast, the thing I really like about it is that, no matter what choice I make in the end, I always feel guilty about something or someone!

Jaldaen

Jaldaen
  • Members
  • 264 posts
Kudos to all the writers of this fine game... I've spent far too much of my life enjoying it... and will probably continue to do so in the coming years. ;)

Best Wishes,

Joseph

Sheryl Chee

Sheryl Chee
  • BioWare Employees
  • 246 posts

AndreaDraco wrote...

Anyway, I must really keep an eye on you and Sheryl, since you two wrote my favorite segments of the game (and my two favorite companions: Zev and Wynne), and I must say that I really enjoy how Sheryl worked many intriguing puzzles into her storytelling, providing that it was her who came up with the bridge brain-teaser (Urn) and with the multi-layered gameplay of the Fade.

I wasn't responsible for the puzzles. I'm very... puzzle-challenged. The riddles were mine but the bridge puzzle was Grant Mackay's brilliant work. I basically went: "Grant! You're my favourite person! We need a puzzle here. A really cool, awesome puzzle! *puppy dog eyes*"

And the Broken Circle Fade puzzle was Ferret's brainchild, implemented by Gary Stewart.

MoSa09

MoSa09
  • Members
  • 1,526 posts
i actually liked that small riddle within the stone prisoner dlc, with the little girl and the cat.

I like those kind of puzzles, whoever did this, pretty good idea.

AndreaDraco

AndreaDraco
  • Members
  • 962 posts

Sheryl Chee wrote...
I wasn't responsible for the puzzles. I'm very... puzzle-challenged. The riddles were mine but the bridge puzzle was Grant Mackay's brilliant work. I basically went: "Grant! You're my favourite person! We need a puzzle here. A really cool, awesome puzzle! *puppy dog eyes*"

And the Broken Circle Fade puzzle was Ferret's brainchild, implemented by Gary Stewart.

Understood! Thank kudos to Ferret and Grant for those two brain-teasing puzzles: I really enjoyed them! As I enjoyed every single minute I spent in the Fade, both during the Mage Origin and the Broken Circle. Actually, I just re-did Broken Circle yesterday with my Dalish Rogue, and I enjoyed it immensely - Sloth and his minions, Mage Asunder, A Templar's Nightmare, I really adore every segment of it, and my only (very minor) gripe is that I wasn't able to kick Cullen's a** :D

I know, I know - he's cute. But my adversity to the Templars is so strong, that I can't really stand his cute look as much as I can't stand his fanatic blabbering ("[Blood mages] are coming outta the walls. They're coming outta the goddamn walls")

AdorableAnarchist

AdorableAnarchist
  • Members
  • 449 posts
I have to add my thanks as well! I write, work full time, am a mom... You can see that my spare time is precious. The fact that I have spent so much of it on DA:O is amazing -- I can't help it! The story is simply amazing! I love ALL of the characters, even the ones I hated (although, Anora and Isolde did make me want to spork my own eyes out at times). I got choked up, I got excited, I got angry (Noble Dwarf SL anyone? I'm still harbouring a grudge over that one against a pixelated character!), I laughed... Simply the best way to spend my extra time and any time I SHOULD be sleeping that I can spare.

I envy you your jobs and I thank you for sharing your gifts.

David Gaider

David Gaider
  • BioWare Employees
  • 4,514 posts

Ethical Scabs wrote...
I mean no offense David, but it really looks like you wrote about 30% of the game, not counting the novels.

You have to remember I'm one of the few people on the project who was here from beginning to end. Posted Image

addiction21

addiction21
  • Members
  • 6,066 posts

David Gaider wrote...

Ethical Scabs wrote...

You have to remember I'm one of the few people on the project who was here from beginning to end. Posted Image

Does that mean you get a bigger profit share? Cause you might just deserve it...

PSUHammer

PSUHammer
  • Members
  • 3,302 posts
Love that the writers are here and sharing comments. Congrats to you guys and shame on you for creating such an immersive world and characters! My wife has threatened to leave me if I spend any more time in your world! (she was joking, I think!)

I have found my game playing has waned over the past number of years as life has ramped up, but, ever so often a special game sucks me back in. Mass Effect and DAO are two examples of money well spent and money well earned by you fine folks.

Keep em coming!  Posted Image

Edited by Hammer6767, 08 January 2010 - 06:41 PM.

AndreaDraco

AndreaDraco
  • Members
  • 962 posts

Hammer6767 wrote...

Love that the writers are here and sharing comments. Congrats to you guys and shame on you for creating such an immersive world and characters! My wife has threatened to leave me if I spend any more time in your world! (she was joking, I think!)

Agree. Lucky for me my boyfriend is pretty much addicted too! :)

Edited by AndreaDraco, 08 January 2010 - 06:40 PM.

MoSa09

MoSa09
  • Members
  • 1,526 posts

David Gaider wrote...

Then you actually participated in inventing the whole world and DAO universe? I mean, it's one thing to write a character or a plot into an already existing universe/world, that is hard enough.
But inventing a complete universe from the scratch is still something different. I'll raise my head to you, really.

TheMadCat

TheMadCat
  • Members
  • 2,728 posts

MoSa09 wrote...

David Gaider wrote...

Then you actually participated in inventing the whole world and DAO universe? I mean, it's one thing to write a character or a plot into an already existing universe/world, that is hard enough.
But inventing a complete universe from the scratch is still something different. I'll raise my head to you, really.

I may be wrong, he'll no doubt correct me if I am, but the universe of Thedas is pretty much almost all of David's creation.  He is to this universe what Tolkien is to Middle Earth.

Edited by TheMadCat, 08 January 2010 - 06:43 PM.

imikedoyle

imikedoyle
  • Members
  • 29 posts
I just want to chime in here and say that I'm another person of all the banter and the plots in this game. There have been times I've re-played some of the cut-scenes for my wife to watch/listen to (as I normally play with headphones). She also is bemused at how often the game makes me laugh out loud.

I'm on my 3rd play-through, and eagerly awaiting the DLC and expansion. :-)

Thanks and Kudos to David and the other writers.

David Gaider

David Gaider
  • BioWare Employees
  • 4,514 posts

TheMadCat wrote...
I may be wrong, he'll no doubt correct me if I am, but the universe of Thedas is pretty much almost all of David's creation.  He is to this universe what Tolkien is to Middle Earth.

Err... taking into account that I created that world given set parameters. It's not like I'm the game's Lead Designer and created a world of my choosing and then said to the rest of the team, "Now fly, my pretties! Fly!" But I did have a big say in forming the world, yes, and the rest of the team has been really great in running with it. And I do really happen to love fantasy. Posted Image

MoSa09

MoSa09
  • Members
  • 1,526 posts
@TheMadCat: if that's the case, i probably should make a small David Gaider shrine in my locker where i can pray every night for this marvellous game i have spent so many hours and shared so many emotions (from really good to really bad) with.
Maybe David can even offer a personal relic, a  curl or something :D

Edit: just in case someone missed it, i am just kidding, before i receive a bunch of messages calling me completely insane

Edited by MoSa09, 08 January 2010 - 06:55 PM.