6 Things You Need To Know About Davao City Mayor Rodrigo DuterteDoon Po Sa Amin team
Published: June 5, 2016
DOON PO SA AMIN in Davao City, the mayor himself is an icon that almost everyone knows.
He is one of the popular, if not the most popular, city mayor in the country today.
1. His personal background. Mayor Duterte was born on March 28, 1945 in Maasin, Southern Leyte. His father served as the Governor of Davao while his mother was a school teacher.
2. His education attainment. He studied at Sta. Ana Elementary School in Davao and then spent his high school at Holy Cross of Digos. After earning his high school diploma, he studied in Lyceum of the Philippines for his tertiary education, and later on continued studying law in San Beda College. He passed the bar exam shortly after.
3. His previous political stint. As early as 1986, Mayor Duterte has been active in the political area as he served as the appointed vice mayor/officer in charge of the city following the People Power Revolution. He then designated deputy mayors who represented Moro and Lumad, which were later on replicated in other areas of the Philippines. He has served as a Congressman, ran as mayor, vice mayor, and mayor again. He was never out of politics.
4. His awards. Mayor Duterte has won several awards including the National Literacy Hall of Fame for bagging the awards on Outstanding Local Government Highly Urbanized category for three times.
5. His strict rules. Davao City is known nationwide because of its peace and order. This is mainly due to the rules imposed by the City Council members that were fully supported by Mayor Duterte. Among those rules are the liquor ban in the city from 1:00am to 8:00am; requiring commercial establishments to set up CCTV cameras; and strict speed limits to vehicles within Davao City.
6. His humanitarian side. The Davao City Mayor also landed on headlines for leading the city’s humanitarian efforts. After the onslaught of Super Typhoon Yolanda, Davao City was among the first local government units that responded.
There are several reasons to love or hate this Mayor of Davao City. But the imposition of strict rules in his jurisdiction undeniably improved peace and order and public safety.
About Doon Po Sa Amin team
Follow @DoonPoSaAminPH Doon Po Sa Amin team
Doon Po Sa Amin (DPSA) is a project initiated by Smart Communications Inc. (Smart) under its corporate social responsibility program Kabalikat, and is aimed at encouraging teachers and students to use computer and Internet technologies to generate web-based information and educational materials about their respective communities.