By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Is Skype blocking TOR exit nodes?

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Casual Adventurer

Hello everybody,

after contacting the Skype customer support and reading the forums i just have one question.

Is Skype blocking connections to TOR exit nodes?

Yes or No?

We just want an official answer from Skype, this should be possible!

For further information see:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/running-a-tor-exit-node-ipv6-and-natively-bridg...

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/TOR-Exit-Node-IP-blocked-From-connecting-with-t...

VarVarna

Message 1 of 30 (7,149 Views)
29 Replies
Community Manager
Hi VarVarna,
Let me see what I can find out. Which Skype version are you running that doesn't connect?

Found a helpful message? Give it a Kudo below to say "thanks" ¦ Latest Community News
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Message 2 of 30 (7,133 Views)
Casual Adventurer

Running an network with different Skype version all got the same problem. Skype wont log in. Error codes says: Cant connect!

Myself is using Skype for Linux 4.2.0.11

the other users running the newest Windows version....

We are running a Tor exit node....the situation started 2 weeks ago. If we use a proxy in Skype to connect it works. But this is not a good solution.

<Edit> Yes we checked our network and NAT, Upnp, Firewall... and all the other stuff as i said i contacted the customer support... and tried every solution...nothing works...so pls don’t come up with this stuff again...

Just tell us Yes or No, that we can get over it....an move on to a SIP Server......

Message 3 of 30 (7,127 Views)
Casual Adventurer

*Bump*

You told that you will search for an answer, I am still waiting.

Message 4 of 30 (7,088 Views)

VarVarna,

Our Community Manager is a man of his word ... patience, please. 

Best regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!
Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety
Message 5 of 30 (7,081 Views)
Casual Adventurer
Thank you for your response... I am just a little bit worried because nobody answered in the other threads / solved the problem. But if you say so i will be prove my patience. Cheers VarVarna
Message 6 of 30 (7,069 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I can confirm that all versions of skype on all platforms block TOR exit nodes and other anonymous IP addresses.

Probably you'll never get answer on this question because this information is top-secret and related to PRISM surveilance program.

I'm giving up skype and will inform all my contacts about this issue.
Message 7 of 30 (7,004 Views)
Routine Adventurer
Casual Adventurer

Waited...for over a week now...

How long does it take to answer a Yes or No question?

I get the feeling Skype doesnt want to tell us whatever the answer is.....

Message 9 of 30 (6,926 Views)
Routine Adventurer

I seriously doubt that they will ever give us a straight answer on this issue. If enough people are upset enough about it, and are able to create heat for the right people within Microsoft, then they *might* actually deign to correct the problem, or at least issue a response. Otherwise, all we can do is test and report, and thus far all tests indicate that Tor exit relays, as well as some other well-known "anonymizer" services, are blocked from accessing Skype.

Message 10 of 30 (6,909 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 11 in conversation