Books and Writers Community

Important Announcement

Mzinga Data Center Move scheduled for JULY 8, 2016 6am to 6pm EDT.
Members will be unable to access the forums during this time.

• To: All
  • Posted:4/9/11 8:24 AM
  • Msg: 70843.1(1 of 3451)
View McBride's profile

As you all know Silvia is having trouble uploading her drawings on the forum. The impatient person that I am I asked her permission to temporarily add them to my Picasa folder for y'all to see. Her work is just beautiful. If you've never tried drawing you should know eyes are the most difficult things to draw. Silvia doesn't seem to have any trouble with them.

Here is Bree.  

View Karen Henry's profile

McBride:

Thanks very much for helping out!  And Silvia, she's beautiful!  My only quibble (and it's a minor one) is that I thought her eyes were dark blue, like Jamie's.  They seem lighter than I expected.  (EDIT to add:  but the "slanted" shape of her eyes seems just right.)

"A bonnie cat" indeed! <g>

Karen

Edited 4/9/11 9:10 AM by Karen Henry
blogging at Outlandish Observations
View amede's profile

McBride,

Thanks a lot for helping Silvia's art get out. Bree is very pretty there, almost too pretty? At least prettier than I imagined her.

Amede

View Terry R's profile

Dear Silvia & McBride,

Brianna is very pretty and this is a gorgeous drawing. This is about how I imagined Bree. I think she would need to be pretty as well as smart and independent in order to capture Roger's heart.

Terry

View Bedequus's profile

Hi Silvia,

Well, there's no doubting who her Da is.  Lovely rendition.

Bedelia

View Elizabeth's profile

Amede,

I agree, it may be too pretty though the eyes are perfect.

Sylvia, you are so talented I am jealous.

elizabeth

View Sandy's profile

Dear McBride,

Thanks so much for helping to get Silvia's drawings to the rest of us, both here and in the EW folder.

Silvia, this is a wonderful depiction of Bree. It is very much like the photo that Bon linked to in the Hollywood thread---and that, until now, has been the closest thing I'd seen to my vision of Bree. IMO, you've captured not only her bone structure and facial features, but also her intensity, strength and determination. Thank you.

And now, greedy wee thing that I am <g>, I want to see your perception of Roger.

Sandy

View Jackie's profile

McBride

Thank you for your help posting Silvia's drawings (both here and in the EW folder) so that she could share her beautiful art with us.

Silvia,

You've done it again. This drawing of Brianna fits the image that Claire "drew" for Jamie in Voyager. ... When newly reunited Jamie asked Claire,  < "What has she of you, of me? ..... Draw her for me, let me see her."> A few things that Claire says, < "your eyes exactly,... a Fraser nose,... pointed chin like mine." > You even got the pierced ears!

You captured not only her beauty but her strength too.

Jackie

View Diana Gabaldon's profile

Dear McBride (and Silvia)--

Beautiful eyes!  Dark blue, as Karen notes <g>--but as I said re the drawing of Percy, it's really difficult (if not outright impossible) to do dark eyes in a monotone drawing.

--Diana
www.dianagabaldon.com
View Covadonga's profile

I'm so amazed by your work, Silvia! This is a very beautiful portrait; I can see her parent's beauty in her features, and also feel her strength and determined mind. I'm looking forward to see more renditions!

View Karen Henry's profile

Hi Cova, and welcome to the forum! <g> Feel free to look around and jump into any discussion that looks interesting to you. Or start a new one, if no one is talking about something you'd like to discuss.

It's good to see you over here!

If you haven't done so already, please check out our Forum Manual, which contains a lot of useful information for new members. For example, if you want to change the way your name appears in the forum (so people know to address you as something other than "covivega" <g>), you can click on My Stuff, at the top of this page directly under the red "mm" in Community.  (You have to be logged in to the forum to see the My Stuff option.)  You must select the "Set for Books and Writers Community Forum only" option, or the changes will not be effective.  First names are fine, of course, or nicknames, whatever you're comfortable with.  But if you decide not to change your forum nickname, please remember to sign your messages with whatever you'd like to be called. Thanks.

*** PLEASE READ BELOW ***

Here are a few important things that you need to know about Diana Gabaldon's section of the forum:

1) Most people here tend to assume that you have read all of Diana Gabaldon's published books and stories, unless you say otherwise. If you haven't read ALL of the following books or stories, you will encounter spoilers for them here. Read at your own risk.

• All seven of the OUTLANDER books
  • All three of the Lord John books
  • The OUTLANDER graphic novel, THE EXILE
  • The Lord John novella, "The Custom of the Army" (published in March, 2010, in the WARRIORS anthology)
  • The short story about Roger MacKenzie's parents, "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows" (published in November, 2010, in the SONGS OF LOVE AND DEATH anthology)
2) Diana frequently posts excerpts from her upcoming books and stories, both here and on her web sitePlease keep in mind that not everyone here reads the excerpts or wants to hear about them.  If you want to talk about something that you read in an excerpt from an UNPUBLISHED book or story, please make sure to include the word SPOILER and a few blank lines of "spoiler space" in your message, BEFORE the reference to the excerpt, so that those of us who avoid excerpts can have some advance warning.  Thanks.

More detailed information about what spoilers are can be found here. If you're not sure how to tell whether something is a spoiler or not, please err on the side of caution.

Again, welcome, and if you have any questions about how things work around here, please don't hesitate to ask.

Karen

Edited 4/9/11 7:08 PM by Karen Henry
blogging at Outlandish Observations
View Merih's profile

WOW!

Eyes are hard and Silvia is so good at them.
I think she nailed it. That's her in my mind.

Merih

View McBride's profile

Amede,

I didn't think Bree would have such a beautiful face. Attractive but not that pretty. However I like Silvia's image of Bree much better than what I had imagined. That is Jamie's and Claire's child.

View Silvia's profile

Amede and Elizabeth,

I wonder why Bree is not very pretty in your mind.  Is it because of William's comment

about her not being that beautiful and about her long nose?  The thought behind it was that

she was the female version of Jamie, who is quite a beautiful man (and then throw in there

a mother who was a head turner herself).  I think what stopped people from declaring her

gorgeous was her size and her long nose.  But all the other descriptions of her make her sound

luscious.  Her mouth and those eyes especially.  Frank called her his 'little beauty' and if nothing else

the man had indisputably good taste in women.<g>

Silvia
View McBride's profile

Diana,

Drawing dark eyes isn't difficult. What's impossible in a black and white drawing is differentiating between dark brown and dark blue eyes. I think Silvia has done a beautiful job with Bree's blue eyes.

View McBride's profile

Silvia,

That's a good question. I don't know why I didn't picture Bree that beautiful. Maybe it's because there is more emphasis on her size, her height, and her abilities that I didn't picture her with delicate features.

View Connie's profile

Oh, I don't know. I remember Claire saying (somewhere?) that every mother thinks her children are beautiful, but Brianna really was. :-)

Connie

View Pat D in PA's profile

When I read your final sentence about her being Jamie and Claire's child, McBride, I went back and hunted up the "Jamie in breeks" drawing, and it is so remarkable... Silvia, you truly are very gifted.  She IS his daughter.

I love coming here after a long day!!

Best, Pat

View Cornishcousin's profile

Wow Silvia,

You nailed another one!  Bree is almost exactly whom I'd pictured in my mind's eye!  Kudos!

Thanks so much for sharing your talent!

Cornish cousin Leslie

View Sarah Meral's profile

Dear Cova,

welcome to the forum.

....Sarah